C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Myfourth1
CF Senior Member

Liked 351 Times in 231 Posts
Default Shouldn't matter...

I bought my 2014 3LT at Kerbeck and had it shipped to my front door with zero hassles. Amoni at Kerbeck took care of everything, including sales tax, registration and even personal settings to my liking. All I did was select the car from inventory, trade a few docs via FedEx, wire the money and 2 weeks later the car was sitting in my driveway.

As for service from another dealer, it shouldn't matter. I get mine serviced at my local (AZ) Chevy dealer with no issues whatsoever. I will admit that I have an 8 year relationship with them (C6 service), but they have been more than accommodating when I go there for service and free oil changes.

Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post: Myfourth1
foursail (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 PM
sailgunner

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob-USA View Post
MacMulikn is first class and best price. I called Kerbeck but the more they talked about this that and the other, the price went up, fees for this and fees for that. I ordered from MacMulkin and took care of the registration tag and title in 30 minutes at my local tag agency / tax collector. No one was able to beat their deal, and they are the most professional dealer you will come across. It's your money put it in your pocket or put it in Kerbeck's. Dealer fees, and doc's are just pure excess profit for any dealer !
Glad to see others share the same opinion about Kerbeck. I was ready to wire the funds when I learned of their add-on fees. They are definitely NOT customer friendly. They have good prices but I got a better price without all the fees from Hendrick in Kansas City. Why do business without an unfriendly dealer if you have other choices?
The following users liked this post: sailgunner
foursail (11-30-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Grimlock13
CF Senior Member

Liked 117 Times in 101 Posts

Bought from Macmulkin, serviced at 2 different dealers in another state without issue.

Pretty much the posted price is the price, except if you have a GM card, which you can use "points" toward the purchase. At least I was able to when I bought mine. It was up to $3K off in addition to the post price.
The following users liked this post: Grimlock13
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:14 AM
PUGPROUD
CF Senior Member

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts

As others have said it doesn't matter where you buy one but it really matters where you have it serviced. Bought mine from Kerbeck in southern Jersey and have it serviced at Arrow Chevrolet in Mount Kisco NY. Chevy dealer down the street from where I live sells a few Vettes each year but has no dedicated Vette mechanic. So I purchased mine 2 hour drive away and have it serviced 40 minute drive away at dealer that has two full time dedicated mechanics and holds a Vette cruise every week at the dealership in the summer. Could not be happier.
The following users liked this post: PUGPROUD
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:35 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 2,751 Times in 2,014 Posts

Originally Posted by foursail View Post

My question is this –how important is it to purchase the car where I plan on getting it serviced? My concernis if I have big problem with the car (unlikely, but some apparently have) will it significantlycomplicate a resolution if the dealer I purchased from is another state 4 or 5hours away? From readings I get theimpression its common practice to purchase from distant dealers – just wonderingif anyone ran into problems going this route.

]
Bough last two Vettes from Kerbech and Hendrick both in other states. Both were excellent experiences. For my '08, C6 flew to NJ and drove it 600 miles home. Great experiance. I knew exactly what it would cost and brought a bank check. Ask for the total cost, fees etc., they will tell you up front, if you ask!! It's the total price that matters, don't get hung up with what fees are charged! They ordered the car for me with the exact options I wanted. They were several thousand dollars less bottom line than others I called and most important could get me the car in a short time!
For my C7 Hendrick was the only one taking early allocations. They were also great to do business with and gave a written guaranty on the price when I got in their allocation line months before C7's were produced. Again brought a check and knew my final price, just be sure to ask. At the time our local Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer had no allocations for C7's.
That local dealer was happy to service both cars. Usually service is run as a separate profit center. Worked with the service manager on a warrenty issue with GM for the '08 and he was very helpful.
If a dealer is so small that they are going to discriminate for folks who bought from them, then they may not have paid the cost and allowed a mechcanic the time off to have him C7 trained and certified. If that is the case IMO, find another!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-02-2015 at 01:03 AM.
The following users liked this post: JerryU
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 03:21 PM
direct007
CF Senior Member

Liked 387 Times in 236 Posts

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I pulled my Kerbeck buyers order to see what all of these "extra fees" are that they charge. Here is the breakdown:

The price of the car
State Sales Tax (required by states that charge sales tax)
NJ Supplemental Titling Fee (required by the state of NJ for certain luxury cars)
Registration Fee (Required by your state when registering your vehicle)
Doc Fee (Kerbeck charges these fees to facilitate the payment of sales tax and filing the registration and title documents along with costs of overnight delivery of documents)

That's it. No extra fees and by the looks of it, all of the fees charged other than the doc fee, you will need to pay either to your dealer or when you register the car if your dealer does not register the car for you or pay the sales tax in your state for you.

Therefore, unless I'm missing something, Kerbeck doesn't charge any outlandish fees that other dealers don't charge and for $379 when spending between $60,000 and over $100,000 for a brand new corvette, I'm more than happy to let them handle the registration, sales tax and titling correctly when getting one of the best prices available on the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by direct007:
flby55 (12-05-2015), foursail (12-06-2015), JerryU (12-02-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 05:49 PM
[email protected]
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Liked 855 Times in 266 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007 View Post
Just for sh*ts and giggles, I pulled my Kerbeck buyers order to see what all of these "extra fees" are that they charge. Here is the breakdown:

The price of the car
State Sales Tax (required by states that charge sales tax)
NJ Supplemental Titling Fee (required by the state of NJ for certain luxury cars)
Registration Fee (Required by your state when registering your vehicle)
Doc Fee (Kerbeck charges these fees to facilitate the payment of sales tax and filing the registration and title documents along with costs of overnight delivery of documents)

That's it. No extra fees and by the looks of it, all of the fees charged other than the doc fee, you will need to pay either to your dealer or when you register the car if your dealer does not register the car for you or pay the sales tax in your state for you.

Therefore, unless I'm missing something, Kerbeck doesn't charge any outlandish fees that other dealers don't charge and for $379 when spending between $60,000 and over $100,000 for a brand new corvette, I'm more than happy to let them handle the registration, sales tax and titling correctly when getting one of the best prices available on the car.
Thanks! I know that we don't charge outrageous fees. In fact, even when we have a second fee for out of state service agency, our total is still less than what some other vendors charge.

However, some of our competition have decided to make our "fees" a selling point to try to make their prices appear more appealing and I get that.

So, here's the deal. If you buy a car from us we will offer you the service of taking care of your titling and registration for you and will charge you the fee. If you decide you want to do your own DMV work, no problem there. We'll let you register your own car and won't charge you any dealer fees. Your choice.

Dave
Showroom - 609-344-2100
email - [email protected]

Follow Kerbeck on Twitter!
Follow Kerbeck on Google+!
Follow Kerbeck on Facebook!
The following 7 users liked this post by [email protected]:
direct007 (12-01-2015), flby55 (12-05-2015), foursail (12-06-2015), JerryU (12-02-2015), jnc4558 (07-24-2016), kaufmansm (12-06-2015), Wolfie (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM
BIG Dave
CF Senior Member

Liked 164 Times in 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroJim View Post
We use to have a Chevy dealer here on LI that sold a lot of Vettes (RAMP CHEVY) that has since gone out of business...They absolutely refused to service any corvette that was not purchased from them. They pissed off a lot of people but never changed their policy.
And the outcome is..... They're out of business!
The following users liked this post: BIG Dave
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 PM
DCortez
CF Senior Member

Liked 176 Times in 129 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So, here's the deal. If you buy a car from us we will offer you the service of taking care of your titling and registration for you and will charge you the fee. If you decide you want to do your own DMV work, no problem there. We'll let you register your own car and won't charge you any dealer fees. Your choice.

I did my own work in downtown Houston. Even with a long line, picking up personalized plates at the same time, and parking, I was in and out in 30 minutes.
The following users liked this post: DCortez
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 PM
John Ulrich
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 187 Times in 141 Posts

I tried buying local, they all passed on a supplier deal. Kerbeck was emailed, took my order for a museum delivery in minutes. I followed the production process with their on line update list I bookmarked. Seamless purchase. I take it to a local Corvette certified (one of probably 8 in town out of 12 Chev dealers) for service. They are happy, I sent back 2 glowing surveys to GM on how well I'm treated. The service manager called to thank me for being a customer. Life is good!
The following 2 users liked this post by John Ulrich:
foursail (12-06-2015), JerryU (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:37 AM
sailgunner

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks! I know that we don't charge outrageous fees. In fact, even when we have a second fee for out of state service agency, our total is still less than what some other vendors charge.

However, some of our competition have decided to make our "fees" a selling point to try to make their prices appear more appealing and I get that.

Dave
That's not what I was told. You guys would not let me handle my registration. So maybe this is a new policy? Plus $100 out of state fee - for what? Not a big deal but you only allow wire transfers. I have always just paid with a personal check as I did again with Hendrick.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:06 AM
foursail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks to all for the feedback – very much appreciated! I don’t foresee any problems getting my car serviced locally as was the general consensus. I gave my local service dealer a call who told me no problem.
So after way too much deliberation I finally decided on a car at Kerbeck and will be picking it up tomorrow morning (long beach red, base manual). I am far from impulsive and over the past month or so made several visits to Kerebeck before making my final decision. I must say I’ve had a positive experience every visit – especially last night when we finalized the order. (British) Dave and Rich P are great guys– no upselling, no pressure – they just wanted to get me in the car the best suited my needs.
As far as the doc fees, they were always upfront with the cost and I was given the option to register myself. I wound up going with the service to simplify things, but in hindsight I probably could have saved a couple bucks and done it myself. The thing with DMV is most times things go smoothly, but there are occasions when they don’t.
Based on my experiences to date I would have no problem buying from them again and it has actually been an enjoyable experience for me. I think I got a good deal on great car. BTW, I did also check out a couple of local dealers and was unimpressed with their knowledge and in more than one case their lack of interest in even selling me a car – go figure.
The following users liked this post: foursail
direct007 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Rooster OG
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,509 Times in 1,176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice, congrats! Excellent color choice!
The following users liked this post: Rooster OG
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:28 AM
rcooper
CF Senior Member

Liked 482 Times in 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Hey, foursail, congratulations on your new car! I know that you will enjoy the C7 and many miles of smiles and don't forget to wave.
Remember to post some photos of your new baby.
The following users liked this post: rcooper
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 AM
hope2
CF Senior Member

Liked 136 Times in 110 Posts

Bought 2014 at MacMulkin, live in Georgia. recommend 100%, they do business right.
The following users liked this post: hope2
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 02:34 PM
alamo1974
CF Senior Member

Liked 77 Times in 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin View Post
Both dealers are good, as for service you should have no problem getting it seviced from another dealer.
Good luck with your choice.
The following users liked this post: alamo1974
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 PM
TBF
CF Senior Member

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I purchased my 2015 C7 Z51 3LT in California. I live in Las Vegas. Went to a local dealer that I bought two trucks and a van from over the last 15 years. They want me to leave the car and pay to have them check it out before they will consider doing warranty work. They are upset I didn't buy it from them and pay the $5 to $10,000 premium added on in Vegas. A real pain in the a$$. There are 2 other Chevy Dealers in town that I have not tried. Problem is the other two have a worse reputation then the one I tried. I guess it depends on the dealer in your area. Then again if the dealer near your house was any good you wouldn't be going out of state to get a car. Its a dam good thing my C7 is a great car. I guess I will drive to Cali to get any warranty work done like upgrading my PDR.
The following users liked this post: TBF
foursail (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:03 AM
Myfourth1
CF Senior Member

Liked 351 Times in 231 Posts
Default Report them to GM

Originally Posted by TBF View Post
I purchased my 2015 C7 Z51 3LT in California. I live in Las Vegas. Went to a local dealer that I bought two trucks and a van from over the last 15 years. They want me to leave the car and pay to have them check it out before they will consider doing warranty work. They are upset I didn't buy it from them and pay the $5 to $10,000 premium added on in Vegas. A real pain in the a$$. There are 2 other Chevy Dealers in town that I have not tried. Problem is the other two have a worse reputation then the one I tried. I guess it depends on the dealer in your area. Then again if the dealer near your house was any good you wouldn't be going out of state to get a car. Its a dam good thing my C7 is a great car. I guess I will drive to Cali to get any warranty work done like upgrading my PDR.
While I realize Chevy dealers are independently owned, I'm not sure they can refuse to do warranty work. I would report them to GM Customer Service. If they still refuse I would somehow publickly embarrass them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Myfourth1:
foursail (12-06-2015), TBF (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 AM
foursail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am amazed at the number of responses to my question and how quickly everyone is to help out here. This is a great forum. Thanks again for all the advice and well wishes!

My delivery and pickup yesterday at Kerbeck went great. The car was delivered flawless. Sam did a great job going over the car with me - nice guy who really knows the car. Overall very pleasant experience, couldn't ask for more.

As far as the car goes, I am still amazed at how much car you get for the $. Even though I went with the entry level base model, it still comes with so much good stuff.

My toughest decision was picking the color - although I don't think you can go wrong with any color, I really like the Long Beach Red i chose - I think it looks spectacular especially in the sun. I will post pictures soon.

Although I've only had a chance to to put on about 70 or so gentle miles (while in break) it drives as good as it looks. Rock solid, smooth and not a squeak or rattle - hopefully stays that way! The 7 speed takes a tad getting used to (found it a little tricky getting into 6th) but I'm sure after a little practice it will be fine. Otherwise i found the 7 speed very enjoyable.

Happy to finally be a Corvette owner!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM
boraxman
CF Senior Member

Liked 109 Times in 96 Posts

^^^^^^Congrats/
The following users liked this post: boraxman
foursail (12-07-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: