C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

 
Old 11-28-2015, 05:39 PM
  #1  
foursail
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?

After lots of research –including much reading on this forum – I have decided to purchase a new C7. Due to some special financing I can’t pass upI will need to make an in stock purchase next. Narrowed it down to a few cars though stillnot decided on Z51 vs Base despite all the good advice on this forum.

My question is this –how important is it to purchase the car where I plan on getting it serviced? My concernis if I have big problem with the car (unlikely, but some apparently have) will it significantlycomplicate a resolution if the dealer I purchased from is another state 4 or 5hours away? From readings I get theimpression its common practice to purchase from distant dealers – just wonderingif anyone ran into problems going this route.

BTW, the 2 dealers I’m consideringare Kerbeck and MacMulkin. Kerbeck iscloser in the same state but might not have the configuration I’m looking forif decide on the Z51. Also, afterspeaking with reps from both it seems like the posted price is the price – is thatthe case?

Any advice will be appreciated!
foursail is offline  
Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
  #2  
Rooster OG
CF Senior Member
 
Rooster OG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,106
Liked 1,509 Times in 1,176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

No, in theory it shouldn't matter where you get your car serviced. I would say the more Corvettes your chosen service dealer has worked on, the happier you might be having your ride worked on there.

I've never dealt with either of those dealers, but generally I've heard nothing but good things about them. Someone will chime in. Good luck!
Rooster OG is offline  
The following users liked this post: Rooster OG
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM
  #3  
SoCalC7
CF Senior Member
 
SoCalC7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Laguna Beach CA
Posts: 390
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Bought my Z51 from a state 1,600 miles away. No problem getting it serviced back here in CA.
SoCalC7 is offline  
The following users liked this post: SoCalC7
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 PM
  #4  
kp
CF Senior Member
 
kp's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 2,595
Liked 115 Times in 93 Posts
Default

You can get it fixed under warranty at any Chevy dealer, hopefully they have a decent Corvette tech. You may not get a free loaner though if you have to leave the car, that seems to be the thing dealers do nowadays. Last time I brought my '15 truck in for AC issues the first thing they asked was if I bought it there, I said no, and they pointed to a large sign that said no service loaners unless purchased there. They did give me a ride home since it had to stay overnight.

Their advertised price is usually rock-bottom, may be able to negotiate a little on shipping or accessories/add-ons. Never hurts to ask though

I bought this '16 from MacMulkin, hassle free and quick deal.
kp is offline  
The following users liked this post: kp
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:30 PM
  #5  
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 39,183
Liked 3,147 Times in 2,250 Posts
Default

Both dealers are good, as for service you should have no problem getting it seviced from another dealer.
Good luck with your choice.
dvilin is offline  
The following users liked this post: dvilin
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:35 PM
  #6  
[email protected]
Platinum Supporting Dealership
 
Dave@Kerbeck.com's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Atlantic City NJ
Posts: 7,927
Liked 855 Times in 266 Posts
Default

If we're in the same state, it couldn't be too bad to bring it here if you need something major. You local dealer should have no issues with most things that you would need done.

Send me an email and let me know what you are looking for. I've got plenty more that are on order and not here yet that are not listed on our website.

Dave
__________________
Dave Salvatore
Corvette Manager
Kerbeck Corvette - Celebrating 24 years as the world's largest Corvette dealership!
Showroom - 609-344-2100
email - [email protected]

Follow Kerbeck on Twitter!
Follow Kerbeck on Google+!
Follow Kerbeck on Facebook!
Dave@Kerbeck.com is online now  
The following users liked this post: [email protected]
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:52 PM
  #7  
AeroJim
CF Senior Member
 
AeroJim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: Ronkonkoma NY
Posts: 569
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default

Originally Posted by foursail View Post
After lots of research –including much reading on this forum – I have decided to purchase a new C7. Due to some special financing I can’t pass upI will need to make an in stock purchase next. Narrowed it down to a few cars though stillnot decided on Z51 vs Base despite all the good advice on this forum.

My question is this –how important is it to purchase the car where I plan on getting it serviced? My concernis if I have big problem with the car (unlikely, but some apparently have) will it significantlycomplicate a resolution if the dealer I purchased from is another state 4 or 5hours away? From readings I get theimpression its common practice to purchase from distant dealers – just wonderingif anyone ran into problems going this route.

BTW, the 2 dealers I’m consideringare Kerbeck and MacMulkin. Kerbeck iscloser in the same state but might not have the configuration I’m looking forif decide on the Z51. Also, afterspeaking with reps from both it seems like the posted price is the price – is thatthe case?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Most dealers will take care of your service requirements regardless of where you bought the car. That being said MacMulkin does not charge BS "doc" fees.
AeroJim is offline  
The following users liked this post: AeroJim
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM
  #8  
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Slowly driving my way around the United States
Posts: 25,562
Liked 611 Times in 489 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member

Default

Never had an issue getting a loaner from my servicing dealer even though I've never bought a car from the dealership. G M requires them to do so for safety recalls or any warranty issues that cannot be corrected while you wait if it is safety related. As for major services paid for out of pocket, any dealer that doesn't is a fool.
MikeyTX is offline  
The following users liked this post: MikeyTX
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM
  #9  
///ADMAN
CF Senior Member
 
///ADMAN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 2,983
Liked 445 Times in 295 Posts
Default

///ADMAN is offline  
The following users liked this post: ///ADMAN
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 PM
  #10  
torchredz51
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Posts: 49
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I've actually taken my C7 to 4 different dealers (trying to find one I really liked). They all treated me equally and honored GM's free maintenance and warranty and provided loaners (when needed) without any hassle at all. I don't think it matters one bit where you buy your car and where you have it serviced (completely different financial transactions).

Last edited by torchredz51; 11-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.
torchredz51 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by torchredz51:
foursail (11-28-2015), MikeyTX (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 PM
  #11  
sailgunner
Junior Member
 
sailgunner's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Get the best deal from the best dealer. I drove 1000 miles to buy mine. Kerbeck would not be my choice due to all their "rules" that end up costing more and their unwillingness to deviate from their rules. Put another way they are not user friendly.
sailgunner is offline  
The following users liked this post: sailgunner
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM
  #12  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 15,411
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,731 Posts
Default

The right hand (sales) does not talk to the left hand (service), so it does not matter one whit!

I have never bought a Corvette and had it serviced at that dealership. It's never been an issue.

To buy a car, develop a good relationship with the sales manager (or be a good negotiator), to service one, develop a good relationship with the service manager.

This philosophy has worked for me.
owc6 is online now  
The following users liked this post: owc6
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:24 PM
  #13  
KDB0925
CF Member
 
KDB0925's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 84
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I purchased mine from MacMulkin in 2008 and have never had an issue with the dealer for service I use here in Raleigh. Their service folks have never made any noise about not having bought the car there. In fact, they are doing a courtesy delivery on my '16 that I ordered through MacMulkin again.

As far as Kerbeck or MacMulkin, I would recommend Tom and his team there at MacMulkin very highly. Easy to do business, no hoops (or rules) to jump through, no stupid doc fees, and the best price is a combo that's hard to beat.
KDB0925 is offline  
The following users liked this post: KDB0925
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM
  #14  
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 43,403
Liked 1,361 Times in 1,131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
Default

Originally Posted by AeroJim View Post
Most dealers will take care of your service requirements regardless of where you bought the car. That being said MacMulkin does not charge BS "doc" fees.
And the key word above is "Most" which is correct for some good reasons. Depending on where you live, there are some relatively small, older dealers that have built up a long, local clientele which they can barely service in their landlocked space. For that reason they have (and can) turn away biz even tho a dollar is a dollar.

There are good reports on the two dealers you wish to purchase from, but you need to assess your local situation with dealers, or plan on making a trip to Atlantic City, or elsewhere in your state which could be a town or two over from where you live.
AORoads is offline  
The following users liked this post: AORoads
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 PM
  #15  
alamo1974
CF Senior Member
 
alamo1974's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: boerne texas
Posts: 1,418
Liked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dvilin View Post
Both dealers are good, as for service you should have no problem getting it seviced from another dealer.
Good luck with your choice.
alamo1974 is offline  
The following users liked this post: alamo1974
foursail (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:21 PM
  #16  
direct007
CF Senior Member
 
direct007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 1,501
Liked 387 Times in 236 Posts
Default

If you live in NJ, it's a no brainer. Go with Kerbeck. I love these posts about "no doc fees" at the dealer in NH. They also don't register the car for you or collect and pay the sales tax in your state. If your time isn't worth anything to you and you like to have further aggravation after taking delivery of your brand new vette, then perhaps you may consider the doc fee that Kerbeck charges "BS" but otherwise, getting a great price and absolutely no BS period, Kerbeck is the way to go, especially when they are at most a couple of hours away from you in the event you have any major service issues.
direct007 is online now  
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 AM
  #17  
Bob-USA
CF Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 84
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

MacMulikn is first class and best price. I called Kerbeck but the more they talked about this that and the other, the price went up, fees for this and fees for that. I ordered from MacMulkin and took care of the registration tag and title in 30 minutes at my local tag agency / tax collector. No one was able to beat their deal, and they are the most professional dealer you will come across. It's your money put it in your pocket or put it in Kerbeck's. Dealer fees, and doc's are just pure excess profit for any dealer !
Bob-USA is offline  
The following users liked this post: Bob-USA
flby55 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM
  #18  
rcooper
CF Senior Member
 
rcooper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 4,439
Liked 482 Times in 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default

No, it doesn't. As long as you are happy with the deal and the way you are treated.
I would caution you to do a bit of research with the service people, service manager in particular, about how many C7's they service. I would want the service department to be up to date on all the service upgrades and oil changes, etc.
I have learned that no matter how good a deal you feel you made someone will post that they got it for $XXXXX and you got shafted, maybe not in those exact words, but the jest of the post will infer that. If you are buying local you may not get the lowest price but you won't have to fly somewhere and pick it up, of have it shipped. This is also good when bringing it in for service, and develops a relationship between you and the dealer for possible future purchases.
Good luck and enjoy the C7!
rcooper is offline  
The following users liked this post: rcooper
foursail (11-30-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 AM
  #19  
AeroJim
CF Senior Member
 
AeroJim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: Ronkonkoma NY
Posts: 569
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default

Originally Posted by direct007 View Post
If you live in NJ, it's a no brainer. Go with Kerbeck. I love these posts about "no doc fees" at the dealer in NH. They also don't register the car for you or collect and pay the sales tax in your state. If your time isn't worth anything to you and you like to have further aggravation after taking delivery of your brand new vette, then perhaps you may consider the doc fee that Kerbeck charges "BS" but otherwise, getting a great price and absolutely no BS period, Kerbeck is the way to go, especially when they are at most a couple of hours away from you in the event you have any major service issues.
You're right Mac Mulkin does not register your car or collect taxes. They do however give you a 20 day temp plate to get your home. They can't register an out of state car with your own states dmv and neither can Kerbeck . You live in jersey and that's the only reason they could do it for you! If you think that its worth $500 to get your car registered by Kerbeck instead of going to the DMV for an hour have at . Enjoy your Kerbeck Koolaid...
AeroJim is offline  
Old 11-29-2015, 09:34 AM
  #20  
AeroJim
CF Senior Member
 
AeroJim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: Ronkonkoma NY
Posts: 569
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default

Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
And the key word above is "Most" which is correct for some good reasons. Depending on where you live, there are some relatively small, older dealers that have built up a long, local clientele which they can barely service in their landlocked space. For that reason they have (and can) turn away biz even tho a dollar is a dollar.

There are good reports on the two dealers you wish to purchase from, but you need to assess your local situation with dealers, or plan on making a trip to Atlantic City, or elsewhere in your state which could be a town or two over from where you live.
We use to have a Chevy dealer here on LI that sold a lot of Vettes (RAMP CHEVY) that has since gone out of business...They absolutely refused to service any corvette that was not purchased from them. They pissed off a lot of people but never changed their policy.
AeroJim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does it matter where I buy my new Corvette?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: