C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air induction on a C7 Stingray myth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by NmtMev
I'm just going back to the original question I had... It's a freaking pipe and a filter. All this money they are charging and no one is willing to produce one that is CARB legal. $500? You gotta be out of your damn mind to buy one of these?
You should put a pipe and filter on yours and see how it runs. Believe it or not there is engineering in it and it is not like cars of long past with separate MAF's on them where you could just put a pipe on it. The cost be making the Green setup with all the work behind it will be a very long time before all of that is paid for. You get what you pay for, so I would be careful if you are shopping by price.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm just going back to the original question I had... It's a freaking pipe and a filter. All this money they are charging and no one is willing to produce one that is CARB legal. $500? You gotta be out of your damn mind to buy one of these?
I forgot the most important question, CARB legal. Actually the box's that require no tuning should fit the bill for being legal if they were tested. However it takes more than just making a part that works with the emissions to become legal in the CA, it's called CASH and lots of it. So if you spent say 25k in developing a box, you have to sell, you may have to sell a couple hundred to pay off the development, but if you CARB it, you will likely have to sell a thousand if not more. How many CAI's do you think someone can sell. It really easy to say, not making it CARB compliant so that a handful of customer in 1 state can purchase it. Here in lies the problem.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:57 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
Go to any car forum and the CAI guys fight "the good fight".

From personal experience just installing a CAI does diddly on todays modern sports cars. Factory intakes are already designed for optimum efficiency.

Any dyno with a CAI showing gains is one of two cases:

A. Normal standard deviation from dyno runs due to environmental and other uncontrollable conditions.
B. The car has been tuned which is where the actual gains are coming from.

My last sports car had just a CAI on it. It made no discernible difference.
which car did you add a CAI to and which CAI? Gains from CAI application can vary significantly from 12hp to 46hp.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have a aftermarket filter (not a K&N, the other popular one here) and I would not do it again, no changes to any degree that matters, IMO...
You won't notice a difference by only changing the filter. You have to pay up and get a CAI to get any noticeable difference.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette72778
You won't notice a difference by only changing the filter. You have to pay up and get a CAI to get any noticeable difference.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:10 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
No...I have "the green" one, it's a dry filter. And I find no hp increase at all. I had a Cold air inductions, inc full CAI on my camaro, looked great but again, nothing I could feel.
I added a K&N air intake on my 95 Z28 LT1 and I could definitely tell a difference! It added 18hp with a stock rating of 275 or 6.5%. Thats why I've been buying them ever since.My C6 K&N air intake only showed a gain of 12hp with a stock rating of 400 or 3% which was less noticeable. I probably noticed a louder engine than I did power increase.

Just bought an AFE for my Z06. Dyno shows 46hp with stock 650hp or 7%. Im expecting a noticeable difference when I install it. Other people have said they have noticed a difference. Not sure on a non SC C7.

I think buying an air filter by itself if your current OEM air filter is fine is a waste. Not enough power increase to notice a difference. I'm guessing you need about 5% power increase to notice a difference.

Last edited by corvette72778; 11-29-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

might as well but one of these. Save some coin. Instead of a window it has a filter life gauge. It come with a dyno sheet to prove it makes power. And you will get your sucking sound!
I looked this filter up. You pay less but you get less power. The more expensive brands are worth the extra money.

Cheapest is not always the best VALUE. There's a difference!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
corvette72778
Instructor

For the non supercharged C7, you only get 12hp increase with CAI. Thats not enough to notice a difference and therefore is not worth the money.
https://www.knfilters.com/search/app...te&engine=6.2L
Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
On hp but not on value!

Depends what are looking for! When NPP was an option in 2014 I paid $1100 for 5 hp and “noise.”

I paid <$500 for my low restriction larger oiled cotton air filter, larger filter housing and reduced restriction inlet air duct.

I got ~12hp and "noise!" Get about the same "noise" level as NPP when both at WOT! 4 times the hp value, about the same noise!

Could argue NPP is not worth it either!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Nice to have goals!

I found a post some time ago interesting. They tested and got less hp when they removed the air filter! Not sure how accurate but the MAF is close to the end of the filter and turbulent flow passing over it could cause inaccurate and inconstant flow reading info going into the computer!
Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
I'm in possession of the latest VARARAM! C7 test unit. I'm always impressed with the products that Patrick @ Vararam puts together.

Hey holds them back and plays with them till their perfect.

Hopefully over the holidays I'll have time to do a before and after comparison.

Keep watch!
Chuck CoW
Looking forward to that, Chuck.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I can see this discussion going on forever. Ad nauseam .......... I for one would like to see some real world before/after dyno testing on an otherwise bone stock C7. Done by someone other than the manufacture.
One of the most honest and direct reply I have seen yet on this forum. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

"RAM AIR" effect
it's been 10 years or so, but a car mag did extensive testing on this specific; monitoring manifold vacuum/pressure. The car had to be going 180mph or more before there were any measurable benefits.

Quick Reply: Cold air induction on a C7 Stingray myth?