Sponsored by:

Chevy Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Chevy Dealers

I just got back from an oil change. At the dealer, I told my Service Advisor that I also wanted the PDR Reflash. His response was, "what's that?" I explained it to him, and he said, "don't believe everything you read on the internet" and if it was anything important he would know about it. At my urging he found it on his computer and put it on the work sheet. After about a half hour he came to me and said that the Technician advised that it should not be done, because it could do more harm than good; so it was not done. When I got home I checked the oil level and of course it was overfilled.
Being a car guy, I have always had "nice" cars,- Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, etc. In every case when I took the car to the dealer, I was/am confident that the service will be done competently and with no damage to the car....except for the Chevy dealer!
By the way, I'd love for someone to tell me how to use a cheap Harbor Freight oil pump without making a mess on my garage floor or myself.

Last edited by LB001; 12-01-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Probably not a Corvette certified dealer? All dealers are not created equal.

We have one of the best dealerships in the country here... Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. Awesome dealership all the way around.

I'd suggest finding another dealer... May be worth a bit more of a drive to get a good one who you can trust.
The following 2 users liked this post by tunaman:
1SG_Ret (12-01-2015), Glen e (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman

We have one of the best dealerships in the country here... Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. Awesome dealership all the way around.

I'd suggest finding another dealer... May be worth a bit more of a drive to get a good one who you can trust.
Echo that. Our dealership is second largest seller of Corvettes in Florida. They provide excellent service and know Corvettes. No overfills and Mobil 1 for all Corvettes. They even offered a 5th oil change for my Non Z51.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman

Don't believe the hype...I'm starting to have my doubts on what "Certified Corvette Mechanic" really means.

Maybe I'm being picky or snooty but I expect a higher level of service on my Corvette than I do on my truck and that definitely is not always the case.

-Mark
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

My local dealer only sells a few Corvettes a year, but the general manager is a major Corvette lover. Needless to say, my C7 is treated like royalty there. Only the most senior mechanic (Corvette certified of course) is permitted to touch the car and they are VERY careful about thing like dirty hands, greasy boots, or letting unauthorized personnel anywhere near the car. They also make sure to park the car indoors if it has to stay overnight for any reason. Moral is that your dealer does not have to be a large Corvette distributer, just have a staff that cares.

Last edited by LIE2ME; 12-01-2015 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DickieDoo (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 AM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Being it was overfilled, I'd be returning the car to the dealer who did it.
But I'd call first and ask for a Corvette Technician this time...if there is none, I'd NOT return there and I'd let them know why. Echo above, find a different dealership, even if it's not close by WITH a Corvette Tech.
By now there's no excuse for overfilling.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 928 Likes on 486 Posts
Tech Contributor

Burn them on the survey and find a new dealer, they deserve the bad marks.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:30 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Remember that most of the time the 'oil change guy' is doing the oil change. Your car will usually get treated the same as any other that rolls in for a 'quick lube special,'

Go to the regional section here and ask who the 'good' dealers are. They are out there, unless a dealer sells and services a lot of Vettes I'd stay away. These cars arent just like another Chevy like in the 70s and 80s. Except for the engine its pretty unique all around and you dont want your car to be used to train people..
Old 12-01-2015, 11:36 AM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kp
Remember that most of the time the 'oil change guy' is doing the oil change. Your car will usually get treated the same as any other that rolls in for a 'quick lube special,'
Go to the regional section here and ask who the 'good' dealers are. They are out there, unless a dealer sells and services a lot of Vettes I'd stay away. These cars arent just like another Chevy like in the 70s and 80s. Except for the engine its pretty unique all around and you dont want your car to be used to train people..
NOT true.
One needs to call ahead, request the Corvette Tech ONLY touch your car.
That goes for EVERY-thing....pulling car in, changing oil, inspections, etc., pulling car back out.
That is what they get paid for.
Glen e (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikez06
NOT true.
One needs to call ahead, request the Corvette Tech ONLY touch your car.
That goes for EVERY-thing....pulling car in, changing oil, inspections, etc., pulling car back out.
That is what they get paid for.
How could it not be true if one needs to call ahead so it doesnt happen

I've sat there and watched it happen..

Last edited by kp; 12-01-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kp
How could it not be true if one needs to call ahead so it doesnt happen
I've sat there and watched it happen..
One always needs to call ahead for an appt. WITH the Corvette Tech.
To just show up and expect the tech to be there to do your oil change is not reasonable, and you get what you get.
You sat there and watched what happen? Overfilling? Why would you watch? I'm confused.....
I'll admit to being one of the lucky ones in that our Corvette Tech has a 2014 s/c C7 himself, and is the ONLY one to touch our cars. Period.
Just sayin'......being proactive is for our own benefit.
Call ahead...if no Corvette Tech, go to another dealership.
Rinse, repeat.
Glen e (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:07 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikez06
One always needs to call ahead for an appt. WITH the Corvette Tech.
To just show up and expect the tech to be there to do your oil change is not reasonable, and you get what you get.
You sat there and watched what happen? Overfilling? Why would you watch? I'm confused.....
I'll admit to being one of the lucky ones in that our Corvette Tech has a 2014 s/c C7 himself, and is the ONLY one to touch our cars. Period.
Just sayin'......being proactive is for our own benefit.
Call ahead...if no Corvette Tech, go to another dealership.
Rinse, repeat.
I watched a C7 get pulled right into the dedicated 'quick lube' lane and get the oil changed while I was waiting for my truck to get looked at. I'm pretty sure it wasnt the corvette tech lol.

Sure you can request anything, just like the OP requested the PDR update be done.

I'm not disagreeing that its a good to call ahead and ask..

I solved the issue and just change the oil myself, and luckily we have a dealer here that treats Corvette guys pretty well. My simple advice is do your homework on the dealer, there are good and bad ones.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've used the cheap harbor freight bulb siphon before, not for oil but for filling sealant into a spray bottle. It was an ugly mess, I'd recommend even going to the next pricing tier of pump/siphon to try that. I have no idea about getting a line down into the oil pan through the fill spout. I read on here about just pulling the filter and dumping that. I forget how much that gets rid of though. Bummer they didn't give you better service. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
AzizC7
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truth to be said, Chevy dealers are the worst in my experience.

Edit: I had a problem with my steering belt and every time I take it to the dealership they say "theres nothing is wrong" they refuse to check the steering belt if theres no weird sound which there is. They try their hardest not to fix anything.

Last edited by AzizC7; 12-01-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Oil syringe with tubing off amazon $10... Works fine
Old 12-01-2015, 12:40 PM
jerrysmith2048
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good dealer for service in South East Florida? If you have a name of a person to ask for that would be great too...
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

You bet, Autonation fort laud on federal, a great advisor named Tara Levine and a master vette tech named john, mobil 1 all c7’s all the time, without asking.

Also good reports from Phil smith chev out west too.

Last edited by Glen e; 12-01-2015 at 12:45 PM.
LB001 (12-01-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Dealers

Old 12-01-2015, 01:01 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzizC7
Truth to be said, Chevy dealers are the worst in my experience.

Edit: I had a problem with my steering belt and every time I take it to the dealership they say "theres nothing is wrong" they refuse to check the steering belt if theres no weird sound which there is. They try their hardest not to fix anything.
Hope it wasnt a C7, they dont have a power steering belt

Its not just Chevy. Had a couple of bad Chrysler/Jeep service experiences lately - I'm done with them for a while.

I'm an American car guy, always have been. My wife seldom strays from BMW/Mercedes/Audi. Even though the European cars are really not much more reliable their dealer service and the way they treat service customers is so much better its not even funny.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

Its not just Chevy. Had a couple of bad Chrysler/Jeep service experiences lately - I'm done with them for a while.

I'm an American car guy, always have been. My wife seldom strays from BMW/Mercedes/Audi. Even though the European cars are really not much more reliable their dealer service and the way they treat service customers is so much better its not even funny.
Would have agreed, no belt in C7 steering however someone just published a pic of a belt in the C7 Bosch electric power steerig! Below is a pic that was published.
It's not a belt to the none existent hydulic pump but it's a small toothed belt inside the electric drive between the motor and the gearing. It is not visible unless the unit is disassembled. Apparently it's used, as apposed to direct drive or gears, to improve steering feel.

This is the toothed belt inside the C7 electric steering system. Only visible if disassembled.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-01-2015 at 02:40 PM.
AzizC7 (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 PM
AzizC7
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kp

How do you explain the ticking sound while turning?

I agree, I don't have to worry when I take my BMW M5 to dealer if I tell them that theres something wrong they figure it out. You don't get that "Lie with a smile" or you know they're gonna say anything to get you out of their way even before you get there.

Quick Reply: Chevy Dealers