Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

But contrary to popular belief dealers make money off of warranty work,

Parts are marked up
Wow, way off there.

* Warranty labor reimbursement is a lot less than the shops regular rate.

* For parts used during warranty work, GM either supplies a replacement part to replenish the dealers stock; or they reimburse the dealer for the "dealer cost" of the part. It's a break-even proposition for the dealer on warranty parts, there is no markup
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

1. This could have happened at almost any chevy dealer.

2. This problem was immensely compounded by you selecting a dealership that is four hours round trip out of the way. In a normal scenario if a dealer doesn't have a part then you just drive 10-15 min home and come back another day.

3. It's still just a chevy. You may think it's a premium vehicle, you may have paid a premium price but the dealership gets paid at the same rate for servicing your vehicle as any other chevy sonic or what have you. Want premium service? You have a better chance of getting it with a premium brand. For example with my Range rover, I just call or email them that the vehicle needs service. They schedule a day to pick up to car from my home, and drop off a loaner. They then call and email when it's ready to go and what time they can swing by to drop off the vehicle and pick up the loaner.

4. Now you'll know better for next time. Sorry it happened. Hope the issue gets resolved quickly.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:51 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Wow, way off there.

* Warranty labor reimbursement is a lot less than the shops regular rate.

* For parts used during warranty work, GM either supplies a replacement part to replenish the dealers stock; or they reimburse the dealer for the "dealer cost" of the part. It's a break-even proposition for the dealer on warranty parts, there is no markup
I was warranty admin for Ford for 10 years, maybe GM is different but at the time (80s and early 90s) it wasnt that much different.

There was a set markup on parts depending on the model year, 10-40% depending on what it was.

Labor gets paid warranty book time, good techs can beat it on many common issues. Of course getting stuck with driveabilty, squeaks and rattles and major repairs can sink even a good tech but thats where quality service mangers and dispatchers come in.

Most dealer parts departments would go broke if they just broke even on warranty parts. If you have good/fast techs it can keep a service department afloat in slow pay times.

Maybe things are different now but a quick read of this from 2006 and I dont think so:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2006...e-warranty-war

Last edited by kp; 12-17-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:33 AM
flittlejr
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc750
1. This could have happened at almost any chevy dealer.

2. This problem was immensely compounded by you selecting a dealership that is four hours round trip out of the way. In a normal scenario if a dealer doesn't have a part then you just drive 10-15 min home and come back another day.

3. It's still just a chevy. You may think it's a premium vehicle, you may have paid a premium price but the dealership gets paid at the same rate for servicing your vehicle as any other chevy sonic or what have you. Want premium service? You have a better chance of getting it with a premium brand. For example with my Range rover, I just call or email them that the vehicle needs service. They schedule a day to pick up to car from my home, and drop off a loaner. They then call and email when it's ready to go and what time they can swing by to drop off the vehicle and pick up the loaner.

4. Now you'll know better for next time. Sorry it happened. Hope the issue gets resolved quickly.
And you think Range Rover Premium? If it doesn't cost 1/2 mil, its normal
Old 02-25-2023, 01:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Seven year old thread here. Thread closed.
The following users liked this post:
Dads2kconvertible (02-25-2023)

Quick Reply: First service experience at Criswell....disappointed