Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-In

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I tried to work with a couple forum dealers, a local dealer and a couple other long distance dealers not involved on the forum. I was able to put a deal together emailing photos and info back and forth with a dealer 600+ miles away. Everything went smoothly and I now have a 2016 Corvette in my garage.All I was looking for was a fair deal and they had the right car for me.

I won't divulge details, so don't ask. I'm just responding to let the Op know a deal can be put together long distance with a trade.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I ttok my 2007 vert to carmax and they offered me 19K. I sold it to another dealer for 24K.

The carmax offer was way out of line with wholesale value.

Originally Posted by douginkc
forum dealers are not going to offer as much as carmax based on how they are discounting their new stock. Plus Carmax you can price it out in Missouri and sell it to Carmax on east coast as long as it is in a set window, can't remember I think 10 days. It is a great place to start with a bid, then you have a guarantee of what you will get even if you drove it to dealer you are trading to (assuming there is a carmax in the area)

Last edited by crawfish333; 12-07-2015 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
douginkc (12-08-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I ttok my 2007 vert to carmax and they offered me 19K. I sold it to another dealer for 24K.

just curious, what was the mileage on your 2007 vert when you sold it?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

The best trade-in value I got was $33000 which is a bunch more than the $29000 carmax was going to give me.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

It is really difficult to compare trade in values unless you have the exact same selling price without the trade. Dealers will play all sorts of games with the trade in value. This doesn't apply if you are starting the negotiation with a set price using for example supplier pricing. You also need to get an out the door price since some dealers can and do tack on extra fees.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
The best trade-in value I got was $33000 which is a bunch more than the $29000 carmax was going to give me.
Carmax IMO is the worst place to take your car for a fair offer. Both times I took a vehicle in for appraisal I was told how great the condition of my vehicles were and was then given insulting offers way below wholesale.

Last edited by Playboy2; 12-07-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Maybe sell it to CARMAX. Between the big discount dealers give and your actual trade value and tax savings it'll be hard to beat that anywhere.If you're buying a 75 grand car and between your trade,discount and tax savings you're driving out at a very low number that's all that matters.How you got there doesn't.
I don't believe you will realize any tax savings if you sell your current car at one place and buy a new one at another dealer.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:16 AM
douginkc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
My experience was with a local dealership. CF or not, they'll try to low ball you to see if your a sucker or a sucker with money.
The dealership I dealt with made me laugh out loud, literally, at their first offer for my trade. I stood up, shook the salesman's hand and told him to call me when he got his heart right with Jesus.
For two weeks, they called me every day. One day they called me six times!! The day of the "finalizing" of the deal, they tried to manipulate the numbers so I walked out. The next day, they played nice and I drove home my '14.
Moral of the story. Do your deal. Don't be a sucker. The car is in it's third year of production and there's plenty of new and used models out there.
Good luck.
you should never let a dealer treat you that way. Let them make an offer, then give your counter and specifically state under no circumstance are they to call you other than to accept your offer. I might even send that in writing in an email. I have bought 25 new cars over the last 25 years and other than the first one or two when I was 20 yrs old I was always in control of the sale knowing way more about the transaction than the salesman ever do. Typically I skip them and go straight to the sales manager and make it clear you know about the factory to dealer incentives being offered as well as how invoice and holdback money works. Once they see you as an educated buyer they will stop playing games.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM
douginkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcooper
I went through a local dealer and the salesman was up front about the trade. He told me that they would low ball me and that the tax advantage would not be that advantageous. He suggested Car Max or outright selling, as they ( the dealer ) would add about 5500 bucks to my trade offer and make a bunch off the car. Some dealers just wholesale the cars or take them to auctions rather than deal with messing with used cars, having to certify them or recondition them to make a few bucks.
I sold it out right and did OK, more than made up for the loss in the tax situation. Although selling out right can be a pain dealing with the phone calls and such, but a good way to sell it is here on the forum. You get PM's and while taking up a bit of your time to answer, you don't get a bunch of tire kickers hassling you. My experience with selling via the forum was quite good.
However you go I wish you luck.

Some of the state rules on sales tax is criminal. What a money grab. Wonder if car dealers have lobbied for the tax rules. In Missouri where I live you get sales tax credit from your sale no matter if sale is trade or to individual. They go as far as 6 months either side. In front of course you just deduct the sale from the purchase. (if you bought lower you can even use difference on another sale) If you bought first and pay tax and then later sell, so long as it is within six months you can apply to the state and get a refund for 6 months after the fact if sale is within that 180 day window.

Amazes me how much taxes some states collect. I am in the mortgage business. NYC in certain areas has a 2% tax every time you do a mortgage. So closing costs of $2000 in MO on a million dollar home purchase will run about $23,000 in NY.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 AM
douginkc
Instructor

Originally Posted by crawfish333

I have sold cars outright to dealers and to carmax who is just a dealer too, just not new. anyway, agreed, just depends on who wants what. I got a great offer from carmax on one occassion for an escalade. went back another time with a different escalade and was offered 2500 less than i got from a Cadillac dealer. I have found that if you shop your used car to the right dealer you can get pretty good offers. Never going to get quite as much as a private sale, but its a lot easier than letting strangers come drive it. I once sold a 1992 chevy sport truck with v6 that looked like a 454ss to a dealer for 1300 more than I bought it for new 12 months earlier.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Its called an 'in and out' and is done often around here. I would think if its illegal no legit dealer would do it. I'm sure laws vary from different states..

I forgot to mention the dealer charged $500.00 to do it Worth it

Quick Reply: Trade-In