Waze Kicks Me Out of Satellite or Defaults to Media

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default Waze Kicks Me Out of Satellite or Defaults to Media

Perhaps some of you have experienced this and maybe there is a setting I can change on my Iphone 6 or Waze or car stereo or something to correct it. I have the premium stereo if that matters.

When I have the Waze application connected via bluetooth, and I am listening to Sat radio, one of the following happens:

1. An alert comes up like "vehicle stopped on side of road," then instead of going back to the song I was listening to the radio switches to music from my iPhone 6! And I don't even have the music app open on the iPhone...

2. The same thing as above, and alert comes up like "vehicle stopped on side of road," then the stereo switches to music I have on the media card in the center console (even though I was listening to Sat radio).... or....

3. An alerts comes up, and afterward switches to "nothing"...in other words, I have to push the sat radio station I was listening to again to get it to start playing.

Every once in a while it actually works correctly, but that is rare. I don't really know if it's an iPhone thing (when it goes to iPhone music) or a Waze compatibility thing or a bluetooth thing. But it is really annoying and makes me want to stop using Waze - which would be a shame because I find that really useful.

Maybe all of these things just don't like to play nice together. Any suggestions I can try? Bluetooth works fine when I get a call, I hang up and it goes back to whatever I was listening to before. Weird.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My experience so far is it has a hard time with multiple inputs. I have the same issue with Bluetooth and my iPhone. Mine is compounded further with CarPlay. I've been racking my brains and trying to get everything to work happily, but I'm not having any luck. For me, my next step will be to start dropping things off my want-to-work list to see if I can get anything to work solidly.

My dream set up was: run an iPad mini for waze connected via Bluetooth for alerts. iPhone hard connected for CarPlay and Its apps, plus iCloud music and Apple Music availability. A 128g mini flash drive in the cubby for having almost all of my music collection available to listen to.

My reality currently is: a big steaming unusable turd occupying the middle of my dash. It looks pretty, but nothing works.

I just haven't had time to really dive into it, if you figure something out, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could post back. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
C6 MoneyPit (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:24 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I use Waze all the time with my iPhone 6 and have only had that problem a couple of time. The majority of the time, after the alerts come up, it goes right back to what I was listening to - HD radio or my SD card.
C6 MoneyPit (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

In my case it was the iOS 9.2 update, same thing happened to my '16 c7. Also would do the same thing on BT phone call, go to playing iPhone music instead of the last mode it was on after ending the call. Drove me crazy for two days. Only fix was downgrade to 9.1, tried everything else with no luck.
C6 MoneyPit (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Well thanks much guys for all the responses - confirming I am not alone here. Seems like it may be a iPhone issue, I will see if I can get someone to downgrade my IOS for me to give that a try. Every time they make something "better" this kind of stuff happens! Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6 MoneyPit
Well thanks much guys for all the responses - confirming I am not alone here. Seems like it may be a iPhone issue, I will see if I can get someone to downgrade my IOS for me to give that a try. Every time they make something "better" this kind of stuff happens! Thanks again.
You can download the 9.1 .ipw file, google it. Then just hold the 'shift' key in itunes and click on 'restore phone' and browse to the 9.1 file.

BUT, if you backed up your phone last with 9.2 installed you will have to start from scratch with 9.1 since itunes wont restore from a later backup. FWIW I did a wipe/clean install with 9.2 and bluetooth was still broken.

Or you can just cross your fingers and hope 9.2.1 fixes it. Many people have complained about mylink (and others) having bluetooth problems after 9.2.

FWIW some have been complaining about waze doing what you describe since 9.1. Mine was working OK on 9.1 but 9.2 messed waze and phone calls up. The workaround for 9.1 was delete all music and turn off apple music.

Last edited by kp; 12-16-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
In my case it was the iOS 9.2 update, same thing happened to my '16 c7. Also would do the same thing on BT phone call, go to playing iPhone music instead of the last mode it was on after ending the call. Drove me crazy for two days. Only fix was downgrade to 9.1, tried everything else with no luck.
Yep. Messed mine up as well. Before this update, I could get a text, phone call, do anything while connected via bluetooth and it would go right back to what it was. Now anything switches it to media and I have to manually go back to whatever it was on before. WHY THEY can't update it without messing something else up is beyond me. Update prior to this messed up all my music and iTunes.

Last edited by R23HTC; 12-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R15LT1
Yep. Messed mine up as well. Before this update, I could get a text, phone call, do anything while connected via bluetooth and it would go right back to what it was. Now anything switches it to media and I have to manually go back to whatever it was on before. WHY THEY can't update it without messing something else up is beyond me. Update prior to this messed up all my music and iTunes.
Its not just the Corvette, 9.2 messed up the BT on my '15 chevy pickup so it would go to iphone media after a phone call too.

Of course apple says its not their fault, go to GM for an upgrade. Its not just GM cars that are having problems with 9.2, hopefully they fix it.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 AM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the same issue...I am on IOS 9.2 as well...sometimes it will work properly and sometimes it will not...this morning it did not work...Frustrating for sure....

-M
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Having this same issue with iOS 9.3.1. Turned Siri off, as some suggested...that stopped the music source from switching to the iPhone. If I stream music from my phone all is well with Waze, but if I want to listen to XM, it doesn't switch back after a Waze alert.

Has anyone had any success with this issue - other than reinstalling an old iOS version?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Mine works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. I wish WAZE offered a way to assign your bluetooth device as well. I typically have a bluetooth headset and my phone connect via MyLink. WAZE is the only app I use that I can't assign......
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Mine works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. I wish WAZE offered a way to assign your bluetooth device as well. I typically have a bluetooth headset and my phone connect via MyLink. WAZE is the only app I use that I can't assign......
I'm in the same boat. With the latest IOS update, mine actually works now - well at least a good part of the time. Then it will randomly go back to it's old bad behavior. Sometimes I just go without WAZE to avoid the aggravation.

Before this update, it would almost never work right. So we are making progress, perhaps by the time the next three or four IOS updates come out we will be close to 100%

Last edited by C6 MoneyPit; 04-18-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:00 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Ditto in my 2014 C7 and my 2016 Tahoe.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Navyproud
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I am having the same issue, and its been like that since i got my 2016. It is very frustrating and GM has to fix it.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Ditto in my 2014 C7 and my 2016 Tahoe.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

I found a different thread where someone suggested having 4 or fewer playlists as a possible fix. I've deleted most of my playlists from my phone, and will report the results when I get an opportunity to test it...hopefully tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I found a different thread where someone suggested having 4 or fewer playlists as a possible fix. I've deleted most of my playlists from my phone, and will report the results when I get an opportunity to test it...hopefully tomorrow.
I don't have any playlists loaded right now. Don't think that's going to help much.....
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

I don't have any playlists loaded right now. Don't think that's going to help much.....
Thanks for shattering my one ray of hope.

I was thinking of subscribing to XM for the first time ever, but if the stereo won't play nicely with Waze, that's a no-go.

Get notified of new replies

To Waze Kicks Me Out of Satellite or Defaults to Media

Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Thanks for shattering my one ray of hope.

I was thinking of subscribing to XM for the first time ever, but if the stereo won't play nicely with Waze, that's a no-go.
Sorry. I don't use XM, so can't give any feedback there. I only run a Christmas playlist......currently not loaded. It's weird how mine will jump from MyLink, to headset and back. Mine will usually make it back to the radio, unless it has to do a reroute. Then it goes to my media.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,003 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

With the latest IOS upgrade on my iPhone, I am still having issues when using WAZE. As others have said, if any directions, cautions, etc comes over WAZE, then it defaults to my iPhone music library.

I've tried turning off my BlueTooth, and it doesn't help. I am using the USB cable to keep my phone charged while using WAZE and in doing so, the Apple Car Play comes on.

I've just got used to using WAZE and listening to my music library that is on my phone..... TOO BAD, as I have the year free XM which I enjoy too, but can't use it if using WAZE too.

Anyone else figure it out yet?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anyone tried a hard reset of their phone. It can cure many issues. If you do it, do NOT restore ALL the applications. Stick with Waze, Mail, Music, and Contacts.

One of the apps could be causing an issue. If it really is a bug with the O.S. you might be waiting months. Apple is notoriously slow with security and functional software/firmware updates. Unlike Microsoft.

I'm sure you've all read the Quicktime vulnerabilities that existed for YEARS that Apple never bothered to fix (for Windows).

This is why I WAIT to update my Macbooks until at least 2 patches are released for each O.S. upgrade.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 04-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Waze Kicks Me Out of Satellite or Defaults to Media