Sponsored by:

Rattle on cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Wampumsav
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on cold start up

Hi everyone, first would like to thank all of you for the great info you provide to new owners like myself. I have a new 2016 convertible and I have noticed a rattle sound from under the car behind the front wheel on cold start up. It seems to go away after a minute or so and does not do it again on restart. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampumsav
Hi everyone, first would like to thank all of you for the great info you provide to new owners like myself. I have a new 2016 convertible and I have noticed a rattle sound from under the car behind the front wheel on cold start up. It seems to go away after a minute or so and does not do it again on restart. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks!
The DFI (Direct Fuel Injection) seems to be pretty loud on start-up but then settles down as the car warms up. Maybe that's what you are hearing? It's still noticeable (the DFI) at all times and makes for a not very quiet engine. I never had it (DFI) and actually thought I had some bad lifters. I asked about the same question you did, and cold start with the DFI seemed to be the answer. Car runs great, just a little noisy at idle.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
The DFI (Direct Fuel Injection) seems to be pretty loud on start-up but then settles down as the car warms up. Maybe that's what you are hearing? It's still noticeable (the DFI) at all times and makes for a not very quiet engine. I never had it (DFI) and actually thought I had some bad lifters. I asked about the same question you did, and cold start with the DFI seemed to be the answer. Car runs great, just a little noisy at idle.
Normal with direct injection just like the pop on the A8 on hard acceleration when it shifts.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 12-18-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

The joys of getting old....I have the quietest C7 Vert in the world...
Old 12-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

When first starting, just turn up the radio a little and all will be fine!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I put a post up few weeks ago asking about start up noise that sounded to me like clatter of a an old 70's solid lifter Chevy motor. Pretty much agreed that noise is most likely due to high pressure direct injection which is more pronounced when engine is cold. Can give dealer service a call for piece of mind. FWIW, when I start the C7 or any of my other vehicles I try to let them idle for 30 seconds to 1 min. just to give fluids opportunity to circulate some before drive off. As I have driven the car more the noise is less noticeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Rattle on cold start up

Quick Reply: Rattle on cold start up