Sponsored by:

7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brettlid
As in remote start? Or as in you sit in the car and it recognizes you and starts up?

Remote Starts can work, you just have to keep the car in neutral, lol.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this list for real? I have an A8, but this list is nonsense for legit reasons.

Last edited by RajeeK; 01-05-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Matt-G
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLXX
To me the only benefit is that manual drivers can't get auto start

That is possibly the only thing I would like to have on my M7 (a remote start option)... however, I know its not really possible and I wouldn't change my M7 for an Automatic anyway just for that feature. Also, If the gear box of the C7 A8 transmission was somewhat "similar" to the Ferrari's / Lambo's (the dual clutch gearbox), then...I would definitely pick an Automatic with a dual clutch transmission versus a Manual C7
Old 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I have had Corvettes for more than 25 years, and they have all been stick shifts...and convertibles. When I got my 2015, I changed it all because I have a coupe with an automatic transmission. Only reason I now have an automatic is because I am having a total ankle replacement surgery on my left ankle, and I do not know how I will do with a clutch.

That's what age and arthritis do to you!

Elaine

Last edited by GS Diva; 01-05-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by brandont619
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... so here are mine!

1. If you live in a major city, stop-and-go traffic can be a monster in a manual Corvette. - If you know how to properly drive a manual, this really isn't too difficult and a non-issue for me personally.

2. Unlike years past, the thrill of driving a C7 equipped with Chevy’s new eight-speed automatic transmission can be as thrilling as a manual Corvette. It’s a pretty amazing engineering feat to experience first hand, if you haven’t done so yet. - Absolutely false. I've driven a M7 C7 Z51 and a A8 C7 Z51 back to back. Without a third pedal and a gear level, it is undeniable that there is less driver involvement and overall connection with the vehicle - which for me, translates into less fun and excitement.

3. It makes it a lot easier to share the experience of driving a Corvette with family and friends. - My family and friends are more than welcome to experience the fun of riding in a corvette while in the passenger seat. Also, I think it's a pro that not everyone can just hop into my vette and take it for a spin, especially if they don't know what they're doing.

4. Because even though we shouldn’t, we often find ourselves doing a lot of other things while driving, which makes driving an automatic safer, since we can pay more attention to the road. - You shouldn't be doing anything else other than driving anyways, regardless of the type of transmission. Keep your eyes on the road!

5. If opting for a new Corvette, an automatic enables you to use the time you’d typically spend on shifting to appreciate some of the other great performance features of the car. - Huh? This makes no sense at all.

6. Chances are, if you decide to pass the Corvette down to a younger son or daughter, they WON’T have any interest in driving it if it’s a manual. It’s just a brutal reality these days. - I feel as it's quite the opposite. I, personally, would WANT to learn in order to be able to experience driving it. I'm young myself, at 23 years old, and I still prefer a proper manual transmission.

7. Finally, because you no longer feel like an outsider buying an automatic Corvette, given that so many people these days are buying automatic models. - I'm a non-conformist. I make my decisions based on what I like and what I want, rather than others' thoughts or opinions. This does not apply to me.

Really couldn't agree more with this.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

My wife can't drive stick. The Corvette is stick. 'nuff said.
The following users liked this post:
mrbdas (01-22-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt-G

That is possibly the only thing I would like to have on my M7 (a remote start option)... however, I know its not really possible and I wouldn't change my M7 for an Automatic anyway just for that feature. Also, If the gear box of the C7 A8 transmission was somewhat "similar" to the Ferrari's / Lambo's (the dual clutch gearbox), then...I would definitely pick an Automatic with a dual clutch transmission versus a Manual C7
I've installed remote starts on manual cars...you just have to be the type that doesn't park in gear. I had remote on several of my manual cars....left it in gear once by accident. I hit the start from my kitchen...glanced out the window and
Old 01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Minibob97
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chances are, if you decide to pass the Corvette down to a younger son or daughter, they WON’T have any interest in driving it if it’s a manual. It’s just a brutal reality these days.
Hold on, back up here. I'm 18 years old, when I went looking for my C4 I specifically looked for one with a manual transmission (preferably 4+3 because I wanted a 4 speed). I even bought it without knowing how to drive stick and had to have my father drive the car home until I could practice. That "reason" is one of the biggest logs of bologna I have ever seen.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
It's people like you that set these threads down the ugly path. Why can't manuals co exist with automatics? Why does it always turn into a pissing match?

Hey Mike I love your dead horse..... but they forgot the most important reason..... autos are FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that should get some pissy reply's...

Were you home on Saturday??? Look what showed up in my driveway... you should have heard the rumble around your way

Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Matt-G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RC000E
I've installed remote starts on manual cars...you just have to be the type that doesn't park in gear. I had remote on several of my manual cars....left it in gear once by accident. I hit the start from my kitchen...glanced out the window and
Ouch...your accident reminded me of this video:

Last edited by Matt-G; 01-05-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Youtube link
Old 01-05-2016, 04:23 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
but they forgot the most important reason..... autos are FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup they are.. that's what I was alluding to when I mentioned the 0 - 60 ... 2.95 (A8) to 3.02 (M7)..

But of course that's the perfect 0 - 60..
Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I like both to be perfectly honest. The only reason I got the A8 was because my wife wanted to drive it occasionally and she wanted the A8. In my opinion it is just a matter of preference. They are both fun to drive.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt-G
Ouch...your accident reminded me of this video:

https://youtu.be/i1YTN3K6RCk
Lame.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Hey Mike I love your dead horse..... but they forgot the most important reason..... autos are FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that should get some pissy reply's...

Were you home on Saturday??? Look what showed up in my driveway... you should have heard the rumble around your way

Autos are only faster when comparing stock Stingrays buddy My M7 eats Z06's, sticks or autos. I',m no where near stock as you heard

This outta get some fun responses but I see an awful lot of A8 owners upset as they have had nothing but issues with their A8. So many issues that GM changed the A8 for 2016.

Yes, I was around Sat. I'll be home until Sunday when I head up to the mountain place Sunday for work next week.

Beautiful Z06 buddy! Is it black or NRB? Hard to tell from the picture. How do you like the Kalahari interior? Best of luck with it. You'll love it!

I'm doing my yearly detail routine this week before putting mine to bed for the winter. Still waiting on my Wolfgang products
Old 01-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Matt-G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Woodson
Lame.
Yup, you can hear the car shifting down the road...staged video for sure
KevinSun (01-07-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

They forgot the most important reason; #8:

A C7 with a manual and Z51 is a model.
A C7 with an automatic and Z51 is an option.

Sorry.

Really sorry.

I'll never try humor again.....................

Last edited by Hopper12; 01-05-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Cur
I agree. I mean there are people getting butthurt over the fact that GM gave the new Camaro the same powertrain, unneutered, as the Corvette.

Every forum has "those guys", every single one. Luckily there are enough topics like these that "those guys" can't help but post in and they self-identify to the rest of the members.

EDITED TO ADD: Some people have way, WAY too much of their self-worth tied up into the things they own, so they'll crap on others' stuff to make themselves feel better.
Totally agree with your Edit!!!
Cur (01-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 PM
jacksnorm
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The reason I bought an A8 is all I care about is performance. No human can out shift the computer going through the gears. And I consider myself an excellent manual shift driver. I have out shifted plenty of older Automatic. The new style transmissions remind me of my race bikes with an air or electric shifter.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

To me, it's not a sports car if it has an automatic.
The following 2 users liked this post by dataporter:
3 Z06ZR1 (05-05-2016), Black and Red (01-23-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Globeman
My wife can't drive stick. The Corvette is stick. 'nuff said.
I like this one here.

Quick Reply: 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual