Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
This whole argument is just plain silly, IMO

So the upshot is: Drive what you want, don't let your testosterone dictate otherwise, and enjoy which ever version you are currently driving.

Pretty much.

One can summarize this thread and all others like it with this: "My transmission decision is the bestest. Evah. Your transmission decision, if it's different than mine, sucks. Cuz you're a [insert one - puzzy, dinosaur, not a real car guy, waxer, poor driver, blah, blah, blah]."
The following 3 users liked this post by OnPoint:
Hopper12 (04-24-2017), joemessman (04-24-2017), RedC7AZ (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Zappa
Hahahahhaaaa....tooo easy
I won't get into a pissing contest about the above comment....I don't believe that's what this forum is about ..it's ok for us to have different opinions ....but to snivel about someone else's opinion......I'm not going there.....but I will say...did that last line make any sense.....it's either missing some words or....is it misspellings
I like the part where he draws a conclusion to what I said and then takes it apart....when it wasent even what I said.......I'm still laughing.....I never said I was a real car guy.....maybe if you read AND understand......you'll be able to finish your last line......AND .....have it make sense .....zappa
You need to go on an ellipses diet....

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...ammar/ellipses

Last edited by AdventurePoser; 04-24-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I love my A8.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
JerriVette (04-25-2017), Scruff Vette (04-26-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

There's a reason they're called "OPTIONS".
All my Corvettes have been manuals, but for the life of me, I don't understand why some people get so wound up on this, regardless of the side of the aisle you're on. Buy what you want, and respect others decision to do the same!
Sadly, I do believe the day is coming when we won't have a manual option on the Corvette (maybe as soon as the C8). From a R&D standpoint, it doesn't make sense to do the engineering on something as important as the transmission when 4 out of 5 buyers choose the auto (that's the current takeaway on the Stingray/GS).
Look at all the supercars (Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren)....NONE offer a 3 pedal car anymore (current McLaren's have NEVER offered 3 pedals). If I had said this (NO manuals available) in 2007, I would have been laughed off the forum!

It is notable that manual Ferrari 360/430's routinely have a higher re-sale value than F1 equipped 360/430's, FWIW.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-03-2017 at 02:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Share with family and friends
That aint gonna happen
Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Those amazing track times like Willow springs, VIR etc. Did they use A8 or M7? (and on average A8 is just faster on a road course right?)

Non pros that tracks the vette do most favor M7?

Resale value? I guess it depends on the driver.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Porsches revival of the manual transmission on the gt3 shows there is still profit to be made with manual transmission sports cars..

Highest resale value ferraris are not the dual clutch examples but rather the model with the standard shift.

It may not be as quick off the line...but enthusiasts can feel the difference in connection with the manual transmission sports car of their choice ....

Really are any of us that great a driver ...how many of us are actually spending more time in a track versus the street..

With visions in our heads of race car drivers don't most of us see them rowing the shifter...

Doesn't mean the automatics are quicker.....or as good or better than but there are reasons for the offering of both an automatic and a manual makes sense for manufacturers ..

They sell...

The 70 percent A8 sales last year for the c7 is meaningless with regards to actual consumer demand...

Car dealers order inventory with options such as the A8 to widen the potiential consumer base that can drive and buy that inventoried vehicle..

Dealers set the tone for 70 percent A8 production...not consumers...

I test drive the A8 this week and it was fantastic...definitely shifted with the paddles faster than I ever could even with literally 40 years of driving manual transmission cars.

My present corvette is a manual and the technical advances are such I'm anxious to own the latest and greatest quickest accelerating c7 z06...

That said...this weeks test drive of the A8 did lead me to consider my next corvette with a manual...

There is just something so much fun about rowing the gears the old fashioned way...even if it's a couple of ticks off the A8...

Not sure but with one exception...choosing either for personal preferences is a good thing...they both are awesome...

I'm just not driving into manhattan as much these days so 2 or 3 hours of traffic on the FDR drive are fewer and father apart...

If you hit daily traffic...the A8 without question is the smarter choice...if your in the suburbs...? The manual transmission is still a lot of fun..

Had GM offered a DCT or if it does in the future...that direct drive feel probably would have been the transmission of choice...

Maybe the c8? If not...maybe GM will tighten up the shift speeds in the A10? It's not the speed of the shift but rather the "feel "of the shift in manuals and DCT s that have a slight..and I mean ever so slight advantage

Just my observation after test driving the A8...

It's dam good..
Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
Those amazing track times like Willow springs, VIR etc. Did they use A8 or M7? (and on average A8 is just faster on a road course right?)

Non pros that tracks the vette do most favor M7?

Resale value? I guess it depends on the driver.
Oh to answer your question in the z06 the A8 was quicker in the hands of professionals...

In the latest ZL1... randy Prost from motor trend shocked GM engineers by lapping the manual ZL1 quicker than the. New A10..

Go figure...

Fwiw..none of us are as good a driver as randy Prost so just get the transmission you prefer driving.

Jmo
Old 05-04-2017, 12:29 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

i cannot bear the cost of replacing the rubber clutch pedal cover.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fireinv38
i cannot bear the cost of replacing the rubber clutch pedal cover.
oh yeah also the cost, how much to replace z06 clutch, labor etc.

How many miles do they last normally?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Porsches revival of the manual transmission on the gt3 shows there is still profit to be made with manual transmission sports cars..

Highest resale value ferraris are not the dual clutch examples but rather the model with the standard shift.

It may not be as quick off the line...but enthusiasts can feel the difference in connection with the manual transmission sports car of their choice ....

Really are any of us that great a driver ...how many of us are actually spending more time in a track versus the street..

With visions in our heads of race car drivers don't most of us see them rowing the shifter...

Doesn't mean the automatics are quicker.....or as good or better than but there are reasons for the offering of both an automatic and a manual makes sense for manufacturers ..

They sell...

The 70 percent A8 sales last year for the c7 is meaningless with regards to actual consumer demand...

Car dealers order inventory with options such as the A8 to widen the potiential consumer base that can drive and buy that inventoried vehicle..

I test drive the A8 this week and it was fantastic...definitely shifted with the paddles faster than I ever could even with literally 40 years of driving manual transmission cars.

My present corvette is a manual and the technical advances are such I'm anxious to own the latest and greatest quickest accelerating c7 z06...

That said...this weeks test drive of the A8 did lead me to consider my next corvette with a manual...

There is just something so much fun about rowing the gears the old fashioned way...even if it's a couple of ticks off the A8...

Not sure but with one exception...choosing either for personal preferences is a good thing...they both are awesome...

I'm just not driving into manhattan as much these days so 2 or 3 hours of traffic on the FDR drive are fewer and father apart...

If you hit daily traffic...the A8 without question is the smarter choice...if your in the suburbs...? The manual transmission is still a lot of fun..

Had GM offered a DCT or if it does in the future...that direct drive feel probably would have been the transmission of choice...

Maybe the c8? If not...maybe GM will tighten up the shift speeds in the A10? It's not the speed of the shift but rather the "feel "of the shift in manuals and DCT s that have a slight..and I mean ever so slight advantage

Just my observation after test driving the A8...

It's dam good..
Porsche took so much crap from the car rags (and customers, I suppose) about the last GT3 being PDK only that they brought it back. It is notable that the 6 speed manual is listed a no cost option, PDK is the standard gearbox.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM
2016_Z06
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Because your too old to drive a stick

this has to be the stupidest article I've seen on this forum

Last edited by 2016_Z06; 05-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Funny you should mention this. When I finally made my decision on what I wanted with regards to color and options on the 2016 C7 I wanted to purchase, my local dealer already had one on the lot that matched my options about 95% but it was an A8. They had 3 C7s on the lot and they were all A8s. The buyer for that dealership is a friend and when I was talking to him about when they would get another allotment so I could order mine I asked him about all the A8s and his answer was almost exactly what you said. He said when they buy them for the lot, they usually get A8s, but most, not all, but most that order, order M7s.

-Mickey
Old 05-05-2017, 03:13 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I have been surprised how fun the A8 is. I have other cars with manuals so I know what they are. I like how you can get the tires spinning in first, paddle click into second and with no drama it just carries on with spinning and fishtailing. No drama getting all wound up to stab the clutch with your left leg and slam in the next gear. Just click the button. Its pretty damn fun. Also, when you are winging up the highway at a 100+ with a buddy on your tail and passing in and out of all the normal people, it is very helpful to have the helper there keeping your rpm optimized so you can maximize your speed while using all of your attention for the road ahead.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Dealers order more Auto transmissions because that's what's in demand.

If they ordered more manuals then many of them would be sitting on dealer lots way too long, as supply would be far greater than demand.

There is no refuting the fact 80% of C7 buyers prefer the Auto.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Dealers order more Auto transmissions because that's what's in demand.

If they ordered more manuals then many of them would be sitting on dealer lots way too long, as supply would be far greater than demand.

There is no refuting the fact 80% of C7 buyers prefer the Auto.
Oh come on, that makes too much sense.
But in my case I'm an outlier, I have the A8 and will probably be going with a manual this time. I'm bored with the A8 and don't live in a city anymore with a lot of stop and go. I am just waiting to find out when the ZR1 will become available. If it is more than a few months I'll buy the Z06. And as of right now it will be a manual shift.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM
hupp2it
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is clearly just bait to draw us all into a long protracted discussion but I'll play along.

8) Because you like sitting out a driving session or two at your HPDE due to your overheating automatic transmission

and the real reason for an automatic

9) Because you need your shifting hand free to myspacefacegram on your phone.

Get notified of new replies

To 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Old 05-05-2017, 02:23 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

These are street cars, not race cars. There is no reason to run them constantly 100% on the track. There is no reason to run more than 6 sessions per 20 to 30 minute track outing. The GS with A8 has plenty of cooling to keep you out in your HDPE.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by djnice
I have been surprised how fun the A8 is. I have other cars with manuals so I know what they are. I like how you can get the tires spinning in first, paddle click into second and with no drama it just carries on with spinning and fishtailing. No drama getting all wound up to stab the clutch with your left leg and slam in the next gear. Just click the button. Its pretty damn fun. Also, when you are winging up the highway at a 100+ with a buddy on your tail and passing in and out of all the normal people, it is very helpful to have the helper there keeping your rpm optimized so you can maximize your speed while using all of your attention for the road ahead.
I think you just described yourself as that street racer that participates on busy interstates weaving in and out of traffic at a HIGH rate of speed. Love the attention of a burnout too. Stick with that auto.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

djnice,

Also, when you are winging up the highway at a 100+ with a buddy on your tail and passing in and out of all the normal people

I just hope you lose your drivers license before you kill numerous people. You should be banned from this forum.

Quick Reply: 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual