Sponsored by:

7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 AM
Antoni
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
I don't know why I periodically come back and look at this thread. I suppose I find it 'interesting' on some demented level.

To the above bullets, I would add the following:
* The whole premise of the way the '7 reasons' was written by the OP is irrational and illogical because they are the opinions of ONE person - the OP. But he wrote it as though they should apply to all of us. If the OP had prefaced the article with 'here are my reasons', we would have probably ended at 15 pages of posts.
* Those who reply with their personal reasons for choosing either trans (or whatever for that matter) and write them as though their reasons should apply to everyone else - and that if a person doesn't agree they are somehow wrong - are equally as irrational and illogical as the OP. Maybe more so.
* The reasons that each of us choose certain options are valid for us as individuals. They are valid opinions for the owner, but not to the exclusion of what others might prefer for their personal choice.
* Resorting to calling someone who prefers a certain configuration for their C7 some sort of derogatory name or stating that their particular C7 is somehow more or less than someone else's, that their choice makes them more 'manly', that their choice somehow confirms that they are the only 'real enthusiasts' and others aren't, or whatever, is immature at best - unless it's intended as humor. Benefit of the doubt and all that....
* Repeat: the C7 is an outstanding car in any configuration.
* We should all enjoy the fact that we share a passion for cars in general, and the C7 specifically. We at least have that in common - and should respect that.
* Peace
I agree.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 AM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of verbiage for something so simple.

Kind of makes one's head hurt...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I am fixing to order a 2016 stingray and it will be an automatic. Another reason is if U get a broken leg or arm u can still drive an auto but not a stick. Currently have stick and like it but not the next vette.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:32 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Tell that to a paddle shifting Formula One driver.
Plus one!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelchfireV8
This A8 owner has a screwed up knee. Let's see, what do they use in the C7R?
Originally Posted by redzone
Pretty sure it's a sequential, but I'm 100% sure it's not an A8 or anything else with a torque converter.
And I believe you, "redzone", may be 100% wrong...With racing of any kind, it's about standing in the winner's circle,
not measuring your imaginary manhood as a manual-shifter while coming in as a "runner-up"!!!
_

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 01-15-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 PM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

Look at the age of most Vette owners.

That explains the preference to the Auto.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:29 PM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Sk8Man_;1591332812]And I believe you may be 100% wrong...With racing of any kind, it's about standing in the winner's circle, not
measuring your imaginary manhood as a manual-shifter while coming in as a "runner-up"!!!

Instead of "Runner up" maybe U need to "Man Up! Autobox man...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

[quote=schnellerkerl;1591332837]
Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
And I believe you may be 100% wrong...With racing of any kind, it's about standing in the winner's circle, not
measuring your imaginary manhood as a manual-shifter while coming in as a "runner-up"!!!

Instead of "Runner up" maybe U need to "Man Up! Autobox man...

Hey Macho-Man (schnellerkerl), Take a ride here with Tommy Milner at Daytona and tell me, is he manual or paddle shifting . . . ?!

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 01-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

That video is beautiful. Looks like paddles all the way.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 PM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

never would have bought an auto vette, or other sport car for that matter that is until I drove the A-8. end of story, its better, period.
no lose of driver involvement, and a def edge in performance. If you are looking for performance get the A-8, if you just have to row gears, get the slower less performance oriented M7
Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlba
never would have bought an auto vette, or other sport car for that matter that is until I drove the A-8. end of story, its better, period.
no lose of driver involvement, and a def edge in performance. If you are looking for performance get the A-8, if you just have to row gears, get the slower less performance oriented M7
marlarky on driver involvement...lol I've put 14k on the a8 and shifting with paddles is not being involved at all. I mean really its better to leave it in D.....and let it do everything for you. Paddles ooooohh...

and no it isn't better....you meant to say you like it right now better....but soon you'll be longing for the stick.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 01-16-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:03 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well there are still some of us old timere that STILL prefer MANUAL!! Even at 65 (a few years ago) I could STILL manage a .001 reaction time at the strip and turn a 13.08/110.24 wit a stock 2000 FRC . My wife can shift gears with the best of them and my sons and daughter in law ALL are stick drivers,,,guess I WILL have someone to inherit my BB 69 4speed and my FRC !!
I cast no aspersions on folks who like autos,,,just don't want one in MY vettes!!
P.S. I used to have to do the St.Louis Poplar St. Bridge every day (ANYONE familiar with that knows about traffic) no problems!!

Last edited by itzza427; 01-16-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:11 AM
brandont619
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
Well there are still some of us old timere that STILL prefer MANUAL!! Even at 65 (a few years ago) I could STILL manage a .001 reaction time at the strip and turn a 13.08/110.24 wit a stock 2000 FRC . My wife can shift gears with the best of them and my sons and daughter in law ALL are stick drivers,,,guess I WILL have someone to inherit my BB 69 4speed and my FRC !!
I cast no aspersions on folks who like autos,,,just don't want one in MY vettes!!
Not just old timers... I'm 23 and prefer a manual in my vette. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:40 AM
dreameagle
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horses**t, sir;

to be brutally honest, automatic transmissions were invented for women, in order to get their share of the marketplace dollars at the time;

were it left to me, i'd outlaw the lot of slush boxes save for utility and service vehicles like maintenance, police, EMT and the like for two reasons:

first, it would weed out the truly bad drivers who paint their toenails and lipstick when they are not leaning down being cool with one finger while they talk on their cell phones--i've lost TWO of my Corvettes to idiots like this;

second, if your physicality prevents the kind of eye-hand-foot coordination necessary to shift gears, you quite probably have no business behind a steering wheel in the first place--how many times have we read how someone accidentally plowed into a crowd before the driver knew it and killed or maimed people?

automatic transmissions today allow simply too little attentiveness by the driver--coupled with a cell phone in one hand, which just ought to be an automatic reckless driving ticket, and anyone whose taught their teenager how easily two hands can defeat one on the steering wheel knows the recipe for disaster that is;

nothing against women of today, mind you--Corvette lady drivers are just about the nicest thing ever--but the first rule in proper sports cars is they MUST have a manual transmission, no ifs, ands, buts or exceptions;

enough with this hogwash about modern conveniences and ungrateful kids inheriting what they'll turn their noses up at;

when i get into my Corvette--just as i once did my Series 1 E-type--i have no intention of driving my laptop or my cell phone;

people need to re-learn to take tradition in general, and driving in particular, seriously;:steering :
Old 01-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Chiefkat50
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Traded my 911 manual for an A8 Z51. 75 minutes of shifting from neutral to 1st to travel 16 miles was killing me. For the people who say driving stick in traffic is no problem please enlighten me on how you do that in bumper traffic other than letting the gap in front of you grow or riding the clutch.
The following users liked this post:
L8ter (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 06:02 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I am fixing to order a 2016 stingray and it will be an automatic. Another reason is if U get a broken leg or arm u can still drive an auto but not a stick. Currently have stick and like it but not the next vette.
After MANY manual transmission Corvettes over MANY years, I now have a 2015 automatic coupe. Reason for the change?? I am having a total ankle replacement (left ankle) and had reservations about being able to shift. It is a lengthy recovery but I would still be able to drive an automatic!

Elaine
Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Eagle3sh
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Sk8Man_;1591332855]
Originally Posted by schnellerkerl

Hey Macho-Man (schnellerkerl), Take a ride here with Tommy Milner at Daytona and tell me, is he manual or paddle shifting . . . ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY
Just keep in mind that Tommy's transmission cost $125,000 (he told us that one day at the NCM MSP). There is no comparison to this and the A8 in the C7.

Get notified of new replies

To 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual

Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlba
The A8 is "decent" transmission. Its still not a proper double clutch found in german and Italian cars. Even if the A8 can shift as fast, its not as responsive, and has a torque converter. I would say the A8 is still the best american auto you can buy.

heres the truth. most people who buy the auto are buying the auto. rather its faster or not. thats a fact.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 AM
schnellerkerl
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Sk8Man_;1591332855]
Originally Posted by schnellerkerl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY
Hey, Auto box man.
When you run at Daytona, share a ride with Milner, and need to use of a fast shifting gearbox let me know.

Until then, whoosey on up with your automatic. Drive to Walgreen's and pick up your vitamins.Drove the Tail of the Dragon this summer with a '99 FRC w/Stick. 11 minutes up from the Tabcat Bridgeto the Motel and 10:28 back down to the Bridge. Would never had driven it with an auto box. Paddle shifters or no.
Sometimes its the essence of the car - A Vette really drives better with a manual. I've had 'em both. Plus, why do you drive it? To impress your neighbor who has a M3 - Or, do you drive a Vette to have fun?
Old 01-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by dreameagle
to be brutally honest, automatic transmissions were invented for women, in order to get their share of the marketplace dollars at the time;

were it left to me, i'd outlaw the lot of slush boxes save for utility and service vehicles like maintenance, police, EMT and the like for two reasons:

first, it would weed out the truly bad drivers who paint their toenails and lipstick when they are not leaning down being cool with one finger while they talk on their cell phones--i've lost TWO of my Corvettes to idiots like this;

second, if your physicality prevents the kind of eye-hand-foot coordination necessary to shift gears, you quite probably have no business behind a steering wheel in the first place--how many times have we read how someone accidentally plowed into a crowd before the driver knew it and killed or maimed people?

automatic transmissions today allow simply too little attentiveness by the driver--coupled with a cell phone in one hand, which just ought to be an automatic reckless driving ticket, and anyone whose taught their teenager how easily two hands can defeat one on the steering wheel knows the recipe for disaster that is;

nothing against women of today, mind you--Corvette lady drivers are just about the nicest thing ever--but the first rule in proper sports cars is they MUST have a manual transmission, no ifs, ands, buts or exceptions;

enough with this hogwash about modern conveniences and ungrateful kids inheriting what they'll turn their noses up at;

when i get into my Corvette--just as i once did my Series 1 E-type--i have no intention of driving my laptop or my cell phone;

people need to re-learn to take tradition in general, and driving in particular, seriously;:steering :
Probably the dumbest post among hundreds of dumb posts.

If our esteemed CorvetteForum "Editor" (quotes used for a reason) wanted a stupid thread to serve as click bait and stir s**t up he exceeded all expectations.

Quick Reply: 7 reasons to pick an automatic Corvette over a manual