Sponsored by:

Race Deck Garage Flooring Question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Race Deck Garage Flooring Question....

I've decided it's time to finally do something with our garage floor. Decided on RaceDeck Diamond...... I think....Still wondering, before I order if I should be considering using the FreeFlow to let any water run out, or evaporate into the concrete, VERSES using a mop if necessary or just let it evaporate from the solid tiles? Seems easy enough to broom sweep, or use my compressor to blow out the garage if I have solid tiles. I'm guessing I would have to use a shop vac to suck up all the little stuff if I go with Free Flow???

I believe I can also do a combination of solid and Free Flow (under the cars) as well.

Decisions, decisions..... from those who have used RaceDeck, any one wishing they had done something different.... solid vs free flow ?

I'm leaning towards the SOLID, Diamond pattern for ease of normal clean up of the floor.

thanks,
Richard
The following users liked this post:
JDM111er (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I went Coin Shape Solid and I love it!!!!

2 Reasons influenced my decision-

1- Living in New England with all the salt/sand made me stay away from the free flow, I didn't want salt just sitting on my concrete forever.

2- I went with the coin because it's much easier to sweep, I kept reading about the diamond trapping dirt in the grooves.

Good luck!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnut12:
REDRWUT (01-11-2016), Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

I chose SwissTrax when I did my garage using the flow through tiles and absolutely love it. It's always clean with virtually no maintenance. With the flow through tiles, you can wash it out, blow it out or vacuum it out. The tiles are fairly thick, so they can take a LOT of weight w/o moving and are chemical resistant.

Last edited by Gymbow; 01-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:40 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I have Racedeck free flow tiles. They are nice, and can easily use the shop vac to suck up debris. Haven't tried blowing the debris out.

The thing I don't like is I can't jack up my cars one corner at a time, as the tiles buckle and move with the car. I have a G8GT with Pilot Super Sports, and they don't seem as grippy as the C7 Pilot Super Sports, and the tires bring the tiles along with them. There is a guy on garage journal that has a bunch of YouTube videos showing him jacking his vehicles and changing tires without issue.

I can use the driveway for jacking if needed, but I have race ramps for oil changes and stuff that doesn't require wheel removal.
Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have the Race Deck diamond in blue and red. I have used a floor jack on it many times with never a problem. They clean up easy and once a year I give them a good cleaning with my carpet shamporer.

Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:42 PM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I installed the coin type tiles from www.floorjunkies.com about 10 years ago and they have held up really well. I did a red and black checkerboard pattern but I think I'm going to change it up to yellow and black now that I have a yellow C7.

As mentioned above, the water flows out from under the tiles and they clean up easily. With the Michigan winters, they get a good coating of salt and muck, but in the spring I power wash and scrub it out with a deck brush.

I would recommend using a board under jack stands and jacks so as not to deform the tiles though.
Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Thanks Everyone !!!

I think I'm better off sticking with the solid tiles, as we too get road salt, cinders and all the other fun winter stuff here and it would be easier to get up.

Hadn't thought too much about diamond vs coin pattern, but I was guessing the coin pattern might be a bit more slick when wet compared to the diamond. They are the same price, so that doesn't figure into it.

thanks again,
Richard
Old 01-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gymbow
I chose SwissTrax when I did my garage using the flow through tiles and absolutely love it. It's always clean with virtually no maintenance. With the flow through tiles, you can wash it out, blow it out or vacuum it out. The tiles are fairly thick, so they can take a LOT of weight w/o moving and are chemical resistant.

Yes, I think if I was living in FL as you do, I would go with the flow thru for sure. Just not so sure living in the northeast.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gymbow

Sweet ride and nice looking floor!!!!
Gymbow (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I have the Race Deck diamond in blue and red. I have used a floor jack on it many times with never a problem. They clean up easy and once a year I give them a good cleaning with my carpet shamporer.

Looks great with the Blue C7!!!! I might try that carpet cleaner idea, thanks for sharing!!
Blue Demon (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

I forgot to ask earlier, how slippery is this when wet? I've seen all kinds of horror stories about epoxy floors without anti slip grit.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:32 PM
FIRE CAT
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Swiss Trax flow through and love it. Order a sample from both and compare
them side by side.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:37 PM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Mine gets pretty slippery when wet. I have 2 young boys that during the summer like to run into the garage and glide across the floor if they have been on the pool or playing with the hose.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

I have had no slipping issues at all.

A few points in case you're not aware-
- Most forums get a discount, Garage Journal is the one I used for mine.
- Utilize Racedecks online configuration for your design, it makes it much easier.
- The tiles come in 2X2 sheets, I did a checkerboard with double outline. My checkerboard is 2X2 squares, I liked the look better and the added bonus is it was much easier to install due to coming that way.
- Utilize a table saw if you want really clean lines on he edges meeting the garage walls.
- Important!!! Leave at least a 3/8 inch gap for expanding and contracting especially if you install it in the winter, mine expands and contracts at least that. I have a 3 car garage as an FYI
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12

- Utilize Racedecks online configuration for your design, it makes it much easier.
- The tiles come in 2X2 sheets, I did a checkerboard with double outline. My checkerboard is 2X2 squares, I liked the look better and the added bonus is it was much easier to install due to coming that way.
- Utilize a table saw if you want really clean lines on he edges meeting the garage walls.
- Important!!! Leave at least a 3/8 inch gap for expanding and contracting especially if you install it in the winter, mine expands and contracts at least that. I have a 3 car garage as an FYI
I can echo all of this with my RaceDeck using the Garage Journal discount.

The only issue I have after a few years is that in the summer with the Garage door open and sun hitting the front tiles for more than 5 minutes, they will expand more than normal and raise off the floor.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:53 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

Put underlayment between the floor and tile.
Strake (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:54 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.efloors.com/quick-step-combi-floor-underlayment-100-sf-roll/accessories/flooring-underlayment/catalog_161.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Race Deck Garage Flooring Question....

Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
I can echo all of this with my RaceDeck using the Garage Journal discount.

The only issue I have after a few years is that in the summer with the Garage door open and sun hitting the front tiles for more than 5 minutes, they will expand more than normal and raise off the floor.
I also got the discount from GJ on the SwissTrax. As the SwissTrax are thicker than the Race Deck, I have no issue with the tiles lifting in the summer time sun in FL. No problems with slippery tiles when wet.

Last edited by Gymbow; 01-10-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carnut12

Thank you..... YES, I was aware of everything you mentioned above. I did get a GJ discount quoted.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I was in a garage with racetrack floor and it was noisy to walk on. Looks great but the noise would drive me bonkers. I see they offer rubber pads for the underside. Maybe that would quiet them down.

Quick Reply: Race Deck Garage Flooring Question....