Sponsored by:

Electronic Limited-Slip Differential vs Rear Axle Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:33 AM
s0apb0x
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Electronic Limited-Slip Differential vs Rear Axle Fluid

I'm confused between which fluid to use for the electronic differential on my 2019 GrandSport. The owners manual states to use Dexron-VI ATF for the E-LSD clutch system and to use Dexron LS Gear Oil for the rear axle.

I already reviewed a few posts on the topic, such as https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html

Are the E-LSD and rear axle the same or different? I'm guessing "E-LSD clutch system" is the keyword here. The owner's manual only provides instructions for checking the rear axle. So can I assume that rear axle and the E-LSD are the same thing and use the Dexron LS Gear Oil?

Thank for the help!
Old 03-29-2021, 08:41 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

If you have the E-LSD, like on a Z51 or Z06, it is a separate fluid change and from what I understand is not a DIY project unless you have the GM Tech tool.

Both E-LSD and non E-LSD rear ends use the same Dexron LS Gear Oil and that is indeed a DYI project.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flame Red:
NortonCO (03-29-2021), s0apb0x (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

^^^^^ what he said.
The following users liked this post:
s0apb0x (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by s0apb0x
I'm confused between which fluid to use for the electronic differential on my 2019 GrandSport. The owners manual states to use Dexron-VI ATF for the E-LSD clutch system and to use Dexron LS Gear Oil for the rear axle.

I already reviewed a few posts on the topic, such as https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html

Are the E-LSD and rear axle the same or different? I'm guessing "E-LSD clutch system" is the keyword here. The owner's manual only provides instructions for checking the rear axle. So can I assume that rear axle and the E-LSD are the same thing and use the Dexron LS Gear Oil?

Thank for the help!
Here are the instructions from the 2015 Factory Service Manual: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1603212609. The instructions cover both the differential plus the eLSD clutch service. You will notice the plug to access the eLSD clutch fluid is separate from the gear lube. The mechanical diff doesn't have that provision.

There are two differentials that can be installed in a C7. One is the eLSD diff and the other is the mechanical LSD diff. The base differential is the same between the two. However, the eLSD doesn't have the mechanical limited-slip clutches inside the diff. Both base differentials take the same gear lubricant. The eLSD clutches are a separate maintenance procedure and they use Dexron Vs Gear Oil.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 PM
s0apb0x
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flame Red
If you have the E-LSD, like on a Z51 or Z06, it is a separate fluid change and from what I understand is not a DIY project unless you have the GM Tech tool.

Both E-LSD and non E-LSD rear ends use the same Dexron LS Gear Oil and that is indeed a DYI project.
Thanks for clarification.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:47 PM
s0apb0x
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here are the instructions from the 2015 Factory Service Manual: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1603212609. The instructions cover both the differential plus the eLSD clutch service. You will notice the plug to access the eLSD clutch fluid is separate from the gear lube. The mechanical diff doesn't have that provision.

There are two differentials that can be installed in a C7. One is the eLSD diff and the other is the mechanical LSD diff. The base differential is the same between the two. However, the eLSD doesn't have the mechanical limited-slip clutches inside the diff. Both base differentials take the same gear lubricant. The eLSD clutches are a separate maintenance procedure and they use Dexron Vs Gear Oil.

Bill
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I am really confused now. My 2014 has the Z51 pkg, with the electronic limited slip diff. Are you saying that I DON'T use the ACDelco Dexron LS Gear oil, part # 10-4034?
Old 03-29-2021, 03:48 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
I am really confused now. My 2014 has the Z51 pkg, with the electronic limited slip diff. Are you saying that I DON'T use the ACDelco Dexron LS Gear oil, part # 10-4034?
That is the correct oil for the rear diff. This is only user serviceable part of the diff setup. The clutch packs require a GM service tool to cycle thus you are NOT dealing with that part of the system in a DIY situation.

Here is the DIY on the rear diff: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html
The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
NortonCO (03-29-2021), s0apb0x (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JMII
That is the correct oil for the rear diff. This is only user serviceable part of the diff setup. The clutch packs require a GM service tool to cycle thus you are NOT dealing with that part of the system in a DIY situation.

Here is the DIY on the rear diff: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-service.html
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:28 PM
s0apb0x
Advanced

@Red08 I know your pain. As @Bill Dearborn noted, all the C7 differentials/rear axle use the LS Gear Oil. It's the clutch system in the electronic limited slip, such as your Z51, that uses the Dexron-VI ATF. So, there are two separate services for the ELSD on the Z51, GrandSport, Z06, and ZR1. First is the gear oil, which you can do yourself. Then then the other service is the ELSD clutch system itself, which requires the use of the GM scan tool/computer and quite a bit of labor from what I understand.

Last edited by s0apb0x; 03-29-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:15 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by s0apb0x
@Red08 I know your pain. As @Bill Dearborn noted, all the C7 differentials/rear axle use the LS Gear Oil. It's the clutch system in the electronic limited slip, such as your Z51, that uses the Dexron-VI ATF. So, there are two separate services for the ELSD on the Z51, GrandSport, Z06, and ZR1. First is the gear oil, which you can do yourself. Then then the other service is the ELSD clutch system itself, which requires the use of the GM scan tool/computer and quite a bit of labor from what I understand.
Thanks for the explanation. Thats what I like about CF...all the knowledge and information that members pass along.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Limited-Slip Differential vs Rear Axle Fluid

Quick Reply: Electronic Limited-Slip Differential vs Rear Axle Fluid