Sponsored by:

Car won't go into gear (7spd).

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Car won't go into gear (7spd).

Today i had to pull out the car out of the drieveway to get my 73 out for a drive. I had no problems moving it. After i came back, i started the vette and tried to put it in reverse and it wouldnt go. Same goes for all other gears. I tried shutting it off, and when the car is shut off it will go in any gear. Then i tried starting the car in reverse (with clutch in) and the car jerked as if the clutch wasnt engaged. I statted the car again in neutral and still cant get into any gear. The clutch fluid level is ok.

Im in germany and the dealership is closed till monday. Im trying to figure out if the warranty covers towing (dealer is at least an hour away). In the mean time id love to get the car back in my driveway(so its not parked on the street).

Update: picked up the car today. They dont speak english well, but here is what i was told "you drive the car too hadd, the clucth fried together". So after further questioning he said the clutch is still fine, they just had to pull it out and pull it apart because it was stuck together (with what? Flywheel??). So im confused. I havent drive the car in two weeks, it was parked, in the mornig i started the car and pulled it out of my driveway with no problems. It sat half a day and after i went to pull it back in it didnt want to go into gear. So im really confused. Does anyone have an idea what could have happened? I dont beat on the car, i never done a burnout. I do drive it fast on the autobahn, but i shift normally. Sometimes the tranny temp will go up after a long drive, but i always slow down. I have previously (not recently) parked the car when tranny temp was a tad over the normal temp (but wasnt in red nor close to red).

Last edited by kotik; 02-08-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Neutral and push it back into driveway?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Its way uphill
Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Did the rotors get wet.....perhaps just washed it....is so, the pads have rusted to the rotors. No big deal, just pop the clutch or stab it to get it to brake free.

I'm guessing this is a '14.....Z51, they seem to stick more than the later years. Good Luck
Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Put it in gear and hit the starter ride the brake. When you wanna stop pop it outta gear or ride it down with the brake till the engine stops. Not gonna be pretty but you can limp it into the garage. I once drove my 2004 GTO 15 miles across town with a broken pressure plate to the place where I was gonna have the new clutch done. To go, I put it in gear and hit the starter, then "double clutch" to change gears. When I came to a stop light, I threw it in neutral and shut the engine off. Put the car in gear and hit the starter to get going again once the light turned green. Car survived and had another 30k mi on it since, including the original starter.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 01-23-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixing my crap typing as usual...
Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging, slave cylinder or something else. Time to get out the tow hook.

The car will move in gear under starter power. It will also probably start. You can probably get it up the hill under starter power but if it starts you can kill it with the brakes or yank it out of gear without clutch.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Your clutch is not disengaging. The oil in the clutch is well over due replacement.
You have 3 options.
1. Make it worse by doing what Juanvaldez suggested (this is just stupid and will do damage to your drive train that will cost plenty to fix) Juan, you must pay a lot of money to have your car fixed after doing things like this.
2. Do nothing and call the dealer on Monday.
3. Change your clutch fluid. Look up Corvette C-7 M-7 hydraulic clutch fluid change. Its easy and will cure your problem.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TBF
Your clutch is not disengaging. The oil in the clutch is well over due replacement.
You have 3 options.
1. Make it worse by doing what Juanvaldez suggested (this is just stupid and will do damage to your drive train that will cost plenty to fix) Juan, you must pay a lot of money to have your car fixed after doing things like this.
3. Change your clutch fluid. Look up Corvette C-7 M-7 hydraulic clutch fluid change. Its easy and will cure your problem.
I have a 215 (6 months old) with 6k miles. I dont do burnouts or hard launches.... How is this possible??!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:55 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TBF
You have 3 options.
Sound like you haven't had many stick cars. Doing what I suggested won't damage the drive train. It ain't great on the starter.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kotik
I have a 215 (6 months old) with 6k miles. I dont do burnouts or hard launches.... How is this possible??!
S*** happens. I have one other suggestion. I had a Lotus that the clutch disc would weld itself to the flywheel/pressure plate if I let it sit for very long. It would do the same thing your car is doing clutch wouldn't disengage. I would push it down the driveway and then start it in gear. I would accelerate with the clutch pedal pushed in and it would break loose.

Does the clutch feel normal when you push the pedal in or is it limp.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

try pumping the clutch 20 times before you put the car in gear. if it works, it will allow you to move it to where you want it. there are other threads of problems that people have had with the clutch. it is almost surely related to the clutch master and/or slave cylinder.

be ready to use the brakes hard and shut the engine off in case the clutch doesn't disengage when you want to stop.

Last edited by senah; 01-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

dirty clutch fluid could be your problem. it has been around since the c5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-cure.html

this is a great video and info if your clutch fluid is contaminated. it's for a c6, but the principles are the same.

Last edited by senah; 01-23-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Sound like you haven't had many stick cars. Doing what I suggested won't damage the drive train. It ain't great on the starter.
I basically said the same thing and I agree with you. Not stupid if there's something messed up and you wanna get the car in the garage. If the fluid is full, pumping the clutch doesn't temp fix, then something is goofed with the master, or more likely slave or pressure plate. I've had dirty fluid but it didn't stop me from driving my cars. Sure, starting the car in gear is probably not "good" for the car, but it won't do any damage to the car unless the OP runs into his garage. Maybe it takes 50 starts off the life of the starter? Probably don't wanna do dozens of times though. BTW, at least in my GTO, the Starter doesn't really care if it's dragging the car around in 1st gear anyway. Turns about the same speed.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
juan, i agree that it can be done without damage, but you have to know what you are doing. i have driven a car using the process you refer to and started the car in first, then shifted through the gears by rev matching, all without touching the clutch pedal. HOWEVER, the risk of damage is there and i wouldn't recommend doing it the first time except in a cheap car that you are willing to accept damage should it happen.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:13 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TBF
You have 3 options.
Originally Posted by kotik
First, there's no oil in a clutch. At least not by design.
Second, there's no way your the hydraulic fluid in the clutch (brake fluid, not oil), is dirty enough to cause the symptoms you describe. There is almost certainly a leak that has caused loss of fluid, or one of the seals in either the clutch master or slave cylinder has failed. Either will be covered by warranty, so have your dealer flatbed tow the car in on Monday.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:33 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Second, there's no way your the hydraulic fluid in the clutch (brake fluid, not oil), is dirty enough to cause the symptoms you describe. There is almost certainly a leak that has caused loss of fluid, or one of the seals in either the clutch master or slave cylinder has failed. Either will be covered by warranty, so have your dealer flatbed tow the car in on Monday.

Perfect answer
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Sound advice.
Originally Posted by meyerweb

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't go into gear (7spd).

Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Update in the first post. Please advise.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Reading the update. Sounds like corrosion? Maybe pushing the clutch in and starting the car in gear would have solved the problem. Once you got going, you could've hit the gas a little with the clutch pushed in, and it probably would've came unstuck.

Now that I think about it, I think I've read about a phenomenon like this before where the clutch disk rusted to the flywheel.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

So it's been over 2 weeks.What did you do to correct the problem?

Quick Reply: Car won't go into gear (7spd).