C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Experts! Heed my call; come one come all!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:39 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Tire Experts! Heed my call; come one come all!

The tires that come stock on the C7 Z51 are:
Front: P245/35ZR19 (89Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP
Rear: P285/30ZR20 (95Y) SL Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP

I have no doubt that they are amazing performance tires, but living in the Northern VA/DC area, my biggest issue is that they're "Summer" tires. We tend to get snow for 3 months out of the year and as a result, I believe A/S tires will be a better fit for me than the stock ones.

Has anyone been successful in ordering your car for cheaper by opting to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's straight the dealership? I read that those are "the best of the best" when it comes to overall performance + reduce road noise + can be used in winter time. If not, anyone down to help me "swap" tires? My selling price is whatever it costs to buy the A/S ones from tire rack + installation fee to have them put on my car.

They're a good $400 cheaper on tire rack @$1,071.30 vs $1469.00

PS. If I'm totally crazy and will miss out on an amazing experience by not giving the stock tires or something else a shot, let me know. Cheers!

Last edited by Bui; 01-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:12 AM
Bui
Pro

I found this upon further research... Looks like GM MIGHT release an A/S tire for the z06 and z51 in the 2017 cycle.:

b4i4getit asked:
Would it be possible to make an all season performance tire available for the Corvette ? Certainly GM has enough pull with the tire manufacturers to get one of them to develop a runflat that would be usable all year and would have some level of performance. This would be beneficial for those that like to use their cars all year and have no track aspirations and would also eliminate the tire cracking issue that many have experienced.
Tadge answered (09-16-2015, 10:35 AM):
As we, our competitors, and tire manufacturers push the edge of the envelope on performance tires, the focus on dry traction tends to compromise traction in wet, muddy, cold and snowy conditions. Although we validate the corrosion, durability and performance of the Corvette in all weather, most customers are extremely reluctant to expose their cars to bad conditions. I've seen the majority of cars at a show disappear with just a prediction for rain. Some customers even rented local garages to keep their babies dry through a storm! Although one would assume we have some influence over the aftermarket offerings of our tire suppliers, we wouldn't be very good business partners if we forced companies into money-losing businesses. It is very expensive to put a new tire into production. The tooling costs are quite high (with unique tools for front and rear on Corvette due to our staggered sizes) and then there are design, development, and distribution costs. Since Corvette has tire sizes not shared by many other vehicles, our customers tend to be the sole source of business to pay back the cost of developing the tire. Our history is not good here. Years ago we encouraged Goodyear to make winter tires available in C5 sizes. Goodyear did just that and the only customers who bought the tires were our own GM development engineers who wanted to keep their Corvettes on the road through the Fall and Winter. Needless to say, with just a handful of sales, that was not a good business for them.

Although this sounds pessimistic, all is not lost. We are still very motivated to enable customers to use their cars for more of the year and have had quite a bit of feedback along the lines of this question. As the original equipment tires become more performance-focused, the argument for a good all-weather tire alternative becomes stronger. Michelin has been an excellent partner and already offers All-Season tires in Stingray sizes (Pilot Sport All-Season ZP's for the standard suspension and non-ZP's for Z51). We have further agreed with Michelin leadership for the additional offering of All-Season ZPs in C6 Grand Sport and Z06 sizes, in addition to the C7 Z51 sizes. The development of those tires is underway and the current plan is to have them available next year (third quarter at the latest). That leaves the C6 ZR1 and C7 Z06 uncommitted at this point. Michelin is currently studying adding those to the A/S portfolio as well.

Last edited by Bui; 01-26-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Cur
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Also look at the new release from Continental DWS06, the replacement for the well respected DWS. Read their reviews on TireRack, and read all the reviews of the A/S3. You might end up switching your choice. I did. Cheaper, too. (Conti is owned by Michelin, btw)

The A/S 3+ isn't supposed to be released until March, and TireRack told me they have no idea when they'll have stock to ship. Neither did the local big chain (Discount Tire). I went with the DWS06.

I do believe the car will only come with summers, but you can pay your dealer to do anything, including swap tires before delivery (ask me how I know! )
Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
The tires that come stock on the C7 are:

I have no doubt that they are amazing performance tires, but living in the Northern VA/DC area, my biggest issue is that they're "Summer" tires. We tend to get snow for 3 months out of the year and as a result, I believe A/S tires will be a better fit for me than the stock ones.

Has anyone been successful in ordering your car for cheaper by opting to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's straight the dealership? I read that those are "the best of the best" when it comes to overall performance + reduce road noise + can be used in winter time. If not, anyone down to help me "swap" tires? My selling price is whatever it costs to buy the A/S ones from tire rack + installation fee to have them put on my car.

PS. If I'm totally crazy and will miss out on an amazing experience by not giving the stock tires or something else a shot, let me know. Cheers!
Its not only the snow, but the below 40 degree temperatures that is the problem! I switched my Z51 OEM Michelins for the AS-3's 2 years ago. Liked hem so much I sold he OEM tires and kept running the All Season Tires. More compliant ride - ran both Loudon and Epping with no problem! If there are performance differences the average driver will never notice.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Cur
Also look at the new release from Continental DWS06, the replacement for the well respected DWS. Read their reviews on TireRack, and read all the reviews of the A/S3. You might end up switching your choice. I did. Cheaper, too. (Conti is owned by Michelin, btw)

The A/S 3+ isn't supposed to be released until March, and TireRack told me they have no idea when they'll have stock to ship. Neither did the local big chain (Discount Tire). I went with the DWS06.

I do believe the car will only come with summers, but you can pay your dealer to do anything, including swap tires before delivery (ask me how I know! )
#1.) Continental is not owned by Michelin. They are a 145 year old company based in Germany

#2.) The Pilot Sport AS3 plus is in an evaluation stage and should be available in the spring of 2016
Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui

Actually, those are not the OEM tire size that come on the C7. I think what you posted are the OEM tire size for the Z51 & Z06.

The OEM tire size for the C7 are 245/40-18 & 285/35-19 which is what I have on my 2015 c7. I have been trying since last July to switch over to the Michelin AS3 tires and while the 245/40-18 has been in good supply Tire Rack etc have shown the Michelin AS3 in the 285/35-19 as being on back order for the last seven months. Our local tire dealer thinks the 19's for the C7 in the AS3 line will never be produced again and I will have to wait for the AS3+.
I e-mailed Michelin and they said the AS3 285/35-19 WILL go back into production but so far nothing.
At 16,000 miles now I am just about down to the wear bars on the fronts and may have to go with the conti's etc as I expect I will need tires before the AS 3+ become available .......maybe
Old 01-26-2016, 08:12 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
#1.) Continental is not owned by Michelin. They are a 145 year old company based in Germany

#2.) The Pilot Sport AS3 plus is in an evaluation stage and should be available in the spring of 2016
Luke, do you have any information as to if and when Michelin will again produce and make available the 285/35-19 in the AS3 line
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Both Michelin who makes tires in SC and just recently in a new plant in Sumter SC, Continental who has 700 employees, projected to grow to 1600; are made in the Good Old USA!!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui

Has anyone been successful in ordering your car for cheaper by opting to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's straight the dealership?

Hmm? What is a dealer supposed to do with the tires that come with the car? Guess he'd do it for a price!
If you’re going to drive in any snow or where it is often below 35 to 40 degrees then an alternate tire is logical. However if I still lived up North, I’d buy a true winter performance tire like Pirelli Sottzeros the folks with BMW's etc use on the German autobahn. But they need to come off in the warmer months. No big deal did that for the 25 years I was driving and living up North! Then, like the snow tires I always put on for the winter, you'll have the best of both!
Been fortunate to live in SC for the past 30 years and I drive my C7 in 35 degree weather when needed, which fortunately is not often.
Since I leave an unheated garage the tires start at over 45 and warm up to acceptable good performance in about 5 miles. I can tell by performance and the tire pressure increase. However the few times I need to drive when it’s 30 to 35 (or when raining) I use Weather Mode, which starts the nannies sooner. We seldom get snow in Eastern SC and if it did, I’d use the wife’s SUV!
PS: I lived to 5 years along Lake Erie in NE Ohio. Only drove my Jeep CJ5 in the winter and it had a spare on the back! I got caught in some bad storms and would NOT drive a car in that environment without a spare or run flats. Perhaps today with cell phones for many that is acceptable. But if driving from Lake Erie the 60 miles on RT 11 to the Youngstown airport (which I did often) even a cell phone would not be much help if you got a flat tire! Using a tire plug kit and pump when it's zero and the wind is blowing at 30+ mph would be no fun! In that stench of road there are still NO gas stations or frankly even houses! Even the police seldom travel on it! Was fun when it was warm driving my 260Z I also had at the time!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-26-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

This is what I am putting on my C7 in about six weeks.

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Bui
Pro

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm? What is a dealer supposed to do with the tires that come with the car? Guess he'd do it for a price!
If you’re going to drive in any snow or where it is often below 35 to 40 degrees then an alternate tire is logical. However if I still lived up North, I’d buy a true winter performance tire like Pirelli Sottzeros the folks with BMW's etc use on the German autobahn. But they need to come off in the warmer months. No big deal did that for the 25 years I was driving and living up North! Then, like the snow tires I always put on for the winter, you'll have the best of both!
Been fortunate to live in SC for the past 30 years and I drive my C7 in 35 degree weather when needed, which fortunately is not often.
Since I leave an unheated garage the tires start at over 45 and warm up to acceptable good performance in about 5 miles. I can tell by performance and the tire pressure increase. However the few times I need to drive when it’s 30 to 35 (or when raining) I use Weather Mode, which starts the nannies sooner. We seldom get snow in Eastern SC and if it did, I’d use the wife’s SUV!
PS: I lived to 5 years along Lake Erie in NE Ohio. Only drove my Jeep CJ5 in the winter and it had a spare on the back! I got caught in some bad storms and would NOT drive a car in that environment without a spare or run flats. Perhaps today with cell phones for many that is acceptable. But if driving from Lake Erie the 60 miles on RT 11 to the Youngstown airport (which I did often) even a cell phone would not be much help if you got a flat tire! Using a tire plug kit and pump when it's zero and the wind is blowing at 30+ mph would be no fun! In that stench of road there are still NO gas stations or frankly even houses! Even the police seldom travel on it! Was fun when it was warm driving my 260Z I also had at the time!
Haha, I figured that due to the cost difference of the two tires the dealer would only stand to "profit" if they to swap me. Also, I assumed that a dealer usually keeps a couple of spare tires in its back inventory just in case a customer has a flat and needs a replacement ASAP or if there are any issues with the one from the factory.

That being the case, they would value a wheel that is OEM more than an A/S tire since it can be swapped on to any car as needed. Of course that could also a little wishful thinking I suppose.

What do you mean available in spring of 2016? Aren't they already available and in my cart (as shown in the picture)? Or did you mean available as in "comes built" on the car?

Last edited by Bui; 01-26-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by JerryU
JerryU, Dealers will come out just fine. One of the big expenses when a used Corvette is certified is replacing the tires if they don't have 75% remaining tread. Those almost new babies will be gone in no time. Alternately a non-certified Vette that has almost bald tires. The dealer hits the owner on a trade-in for new tires, then mounts the almost new tires they obtained on trade. I'm sure you're correct, they'll charge a fee for the labor to purchase, store and mount the all season tires. I see this as a win/win for the sharp dealer who handles quite a few Vettes every year.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:12 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Haha, I figured that due to the cost difference of the two tires the dealer would only stand to "profit" if they to swap me.
All you can really do is ask the dealer. They may be prohibited from selling a take-off tire as "new," in which case they probably would lose money. If nothing else, you can sell the summer tires that came on the car on Craigslist, or here on the forum.

What do you mean available in spring of 2016? Aren't they already available and in my cart (as shown in the picture)? Or did you mean available as in "comes built" on the car?
He was referring to the A/S 3 plus, which are a new tire Michelin just announced, but are not yet selling. the plus is supposed to offer both better dry and snow performance than the current A/S 3, and may be available in a run flat design.

There is another option, which is what I chose to do: Buy a set of aftermarket, or OEM take-off rims and mount A/S tires to those, so you can keep the better performing summer tires on 8 or 9 months out of the year.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb

There is a much better option, which is what I chose to do: Buy a set of aftermarket, or OEM take-off rims and mount A/S tires to those, so you can keep the better performing summer tires on 8 or 9 months out of the year.
Fixed.

Last edited by Woodson; 01-26-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
This is what I am putting on my C7 in about six weeks.

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
You are going to simply love them. Its like driving a completely different C7!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by HDBADDOG55
Its like driving a completely different C7!
No argument there.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:44 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Check this thread... the A/S 3+ (plus) will be available in run flat for
the Z51....probably also for the non-Z51.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591405589

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Experts! Heed my call; come one come all!

Quick Reply: Tire Experts! Heed my call; come one come all!