Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by egp
I had my Chevy dealer mount, balance, and install the TPMS. I was worried that they might not like me bringing in tires, wheels, and TPMS that I bought off the internet, but they didn't say anything, and they turned it around quickly. My only complaint is that they didn't fill with nitrogen, and used silver wheel weights. Luckily, they are hardly even noticable.
Which wheels did you buy for the winter setup? I'm in the market for a winter set up myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I purchased an OEM-sized set of new Z51 repros from House of Wheels for a little over $1K. They have the same wheel certification stampings as the OEM GM wheels, and appear identical except they don't have the raised Corvette lettering. The finish and overall quality appear identical.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

All good..
My point is everyone seems to be touting these all season run flats as smooth & quiet, where I say "c'mon man", because ANY run flat tire is a much harder ride, and tons noisier than a non run flat tire...
Old 11-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Your pronouncements above are dated.

As least with Michelins, the technology has progressed to the point where the differences are negligible. The ZP versions may be a little more harsh because of the extra sidewall stiffness, but you're grossly overstating the differences, at least w/ regard to the PSS. I haven't heard a comparison between std and ZP version of the AS3+ because the ZP version is brand new.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I put my non-runflat, AS3+ tires on last night. Rear 20" Z51-sized ZPs aren't available until mid-December at the earliest, so I went with these.

I drove them into DC this morning, air temp was about 50, and they are absolutely extraordinary! I've been slipping and sliding all over the place on the PSS tires at that temp over the last couple of weeks, but these absolutely stick like glue. Turn-in is sharp and crisp.

The ride is just a little softer in MSRC Tour mode, but not too much. I'm looking forward to experimenting with Sport and Track. I'm usually in Tour most of the time on my DC commute because most of the roads are in fair to poor condition.

As much as I really like the PSS ZPs, I don't think they really stick well unless the pavement temps are at 70 and above. Thus, these are going to be great for more than 6 months out of the year in my climate.

If you were hesitating, buy them! You won't be disappointed. They make a huge difference even in moderate temps.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I put my non-runflat, AS3+ tires on last night. Rear 20" Z51-sized ZPs aren't available until mid-December at the earliest, so I went with these.

I drove them into DC this morning, air temp was about 50, and they are absolutely extraordinary! I've been slipping and sliding all over the place on the PSS tires at that temp over the last couple of weeks, but these absolutely stick like glue. Turn-in is sharp and crisp.

The ride is just a little softer in MSRC Tour mode, but not too much. I'm looking forward to experimenting with Sport and Track. I'm usually in Tour most of the time on my DC commute because most of the roads are in fair to poor condition.

As much as I really like the PSS ZPs, I don't think they really stick well unless the pavement temps are at 70 and above. Thus, these are going to be great for more than 6 months out of the year in my climate.

If you were hesitating, buy them! You won't be disappointed. They make a huge difference even in moderate temps.
I placed an order for Z51 rear run flats from Tire Rack last night. They showed they had some in stock. Today the order says they will ship when they arrive. Hmmm.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Cumber,

Are we talking the same tires? Yes the PSS runflats (summer tires) are in-stock, but the PS AS3+ ZP (all-season, runflats) will not be available in Z51 rear sizes until mid-December at the earliest. I just checked again, and the rears are NOT in stock. The website has finally been updated to mid-December, and it took them forever to correct the listing.

I've seen the date move 3 times now, and that's why I cancelled and ordered the non-runflat AS3+ versions, which I'm thrilled with.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:59 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

They changed the delivery date after I ordered the tires. I may cancel the order and go through my local dealer for non runflats. I should have listened to my gut and not gone to tire rack in the first place.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-17-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. They were "in stock" when I ordered on Nov 7, and next thing I knew it was "maybe mid-December."

I still like Tire Rack, but I don't think they're very good about keeping their inventory updated on the website. When they really do have things in stock, they're great. I ordered the non-runflat versions in Z51 sizes and had them the next day.

I think the non-runflat versions are still in stock. They are really great tires and have transformed the car now that it's getting cold on the east coast.

In their defense, the AS3+ ZP is a brand new, hot commodity right now, and Michelin hasn't ramped up production to meet the demand.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-17-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:35 PM
BruceTXN
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my new AS3+ ZP's put on my '16 Z51 this morning...just in time - 80's today and 40's tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:57 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. They were "in stock" when I ordered on Nov 7, and next thing I knew it was "maybe mid-December."

I still like Tire Rack, but I don't think they're very good about keeping their inventory updated on the website. When they really do have things in stock, they're great. I ordered the non-runflat versions in Z51 sizes and had them the next day.

I think the non-runflat versions are still in stock. They are really great tires and have transformed the car now that it's getting cold on the east coast.

In their defense, the AS3+ ZP is a brand new, hot commodity right now, and Michelin hasn't ramped up production to meet the demand.
Got a call from my local tire dealer today. He has my rear run-flats waiting for me. They're going on tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

My local dealer said he could get them too for $1650 per set. I wouldn't pay that on principle because it's a rip-off price.

I'm very happy with the non-runflat versions (at a little over $1K) having now put about 200 miles on them. It's the same tire, except for the reinforced sidewalls, and I've lost a little unsprung weight.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:48 AM
egp
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 44 Posts

My local dealer said he could get them too for $1650 per set. I wouldn't pay that on principle because it's a rip-off price.

I'm very happy with the non-runflat versions (at a little over $1K) having now put about 200 miles on them. It's the same tire, except for the reinforced sidewalls, and I've lost a little unsprung weight.
I don't blame you. That's $400 more than I paid with shipping from TR.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will be run-flats