Sponsored by:

A8's and Torque Converter failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redlined
Am i correct in assuming that an issue like this would be covered under the 5yr/60,000mi warranty?
It should be covered.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Orange Z06 Girl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seCen
It should be covered.
They denied ours for warranty because we had "driven it in a manner inconsistent with what it was built for" and they specified racing. The service manager at oour dealership and the person we spoke to at GM both said if we raced it for competition or time or money that constitutes racing and voided the warranty. They wanted us to pay 6 grand. Told us our only options were have them fix it or trade it in....lol Well we showed up with a buddy to get it and take it to his performance shop to be rebuilt and they immediately called and said they would pay for it once as a "goodwill gesture". That was in October. Now we see all these issues...and it sure was nice of them to do it as a goodwill gesture...lol. When we had ours replaced there was nothing to fix them besides complete transmission replacement.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Orange Z06 Girl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Z06 Girl
They denied ours for warranty because we had "driven it in a manner inconsistent with what it was built for" and they specified racing. The service manager at oour dealership and the person we spoke to at GM both said if we raced it for competition or time or money that constitutes racing and voided the warranty. They wanted us to pay 6 grand. Told us our only options were have them fix it or trade it in....lol Well we showed up with a buddy to get it and take it to his performance shop to be rebuilt and they immediately called and said they would pay for it once as a "goodwill gesture". That was in October. Now we see all these issues...and it sure was nice of them to do it as a goodwill gesture...lol. When we had ours replaced there was nothing to fix them besides complete transmission replacement.
They said any competing for tie...so they consider that autox, drag racing, time attack, etc. Said if we compete for points too... Also our car was completely stock...up until that time. We decided to mod after that since we had n warranty.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM
philip513
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default schuddering

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
After unknowingly having several symptoms of torque converter failure I finally located a dealer who properly diagnosed my transmission problem as a bad o-ring in the torque converter. A new torque converter will be installed next week. I have a 2015 A8 born October 2014 and noticed a problem with the transmission at about 10K miles. I decided to do a little research into the symptoms of a bad torque converter and have included a partial list.

(1) - Surging and Lugging - Your car can't seem to maintain constant speed. I noticed this especially when in cruise control in V4 and your RPMs go up and down. This IS NOT normal unless you go from v4 into V8.

(2) - Shuddering - Feels like you are running over a rough road when you are on a smooth road. Comes and goes without warning. Mine did this and I thought my front tires were out of balance.

(3) - Vehicle Lurches - Mine did this maybe 3-4 times when at slow idle.

(4) - Slow to go into gears including reverse. Mine was slow to go into reverse.

(5) - Gears don't shift easy.

(6) - Strange Noises - Clicking or revving.

(7) - Gears Slipping - Loss of acceleration.

(8) - Overheating.

Hope this info helps other A8 owners who might be having torque converter problems and not know it.
Uhm?? I have a 2015 with about 5500 miles. It's been doing #2 (pun intended) exactly for a week or two - getting worse.
When I put in "M" it seems to be better.
Also, in "A" the tach fluctuates about 100 rpm on the highway. Stops doing that in Manual.
Going in to the dealer next week.
I described it as a miss and he said maybe torque converter so there is hope for getting it fixed!!
I'll keep the forum posted on progress.
Phil in FL
Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Z06 Girl
They denied ours for warranty because we had "driven it in a manner inconsistent with what it was built for" and they specified racing.
That's an interesting retort considering the manual is full of various instructions on what to do when tracking the car. I don't recall seeing anything that would hint that racing the car might void the warranty.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by philip513
Uhm?? I have a 2015 with about 5500 miles. It's been doing #2 (pun intended) exactly for a week or two - getting worse.
When I put in "M" it seems to be better.
Also, in "A" the tach fluctuates about 100 rpm on the highway. Stops doing that in Manual.
Going in to the dealer next week.
I described it as a miss and he said maybe torque converter so there is hope for getting it fixed!!
I'll keep the forum posted on progress.
Phil in FL
When you place your car in "M" your car does not shift into V4 it stays in V8. That's why you don't feel your tranny shuddering. Mine got worse especially when I placed it in cruise control.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts
Default replacing torque converter this week

2015 ,C7 ,A8 Aug 2014 build, 16,000 miles

* have hesitated to take the car in for service hoping transmission would improve or 'learn" over time.......actually slowly getting worse to the point where clearly it was not operating as one would expect from a high end design.
Quick and crisp shifts , yes, but not all the other stuff.
* Monday, Feb 15 took car in with a list of transmission snags and was met by the shop foreman. He asked for details . I gave him the quick summary and he told me he had heard all of that before and stated I needed a new torque converter and said he did not need to drive the car at that point. He mentioned the shop had a thirty page document from GM and commented that about 15% of cars would need new torque converters. I don't know if that is from GM or just his opinion.
* Tuesday Feb ,16th. Service manager called early afternoon and said they were installing a new torque converter and he thought the car may be ready by Friday. I asked what diagnostics might have been done to decide on a new torque converter. He said the mechanic , as per GM instructions, uploaded software updates. He then drove the car and found nothing was improved therefore a new torque converter was required. I was told my car was not the first one that they have done a TC replacement on.
As soon as I have any significant updates and /or the car back I will post the results.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 767guy
2015 ,C7 ,A8 Aug 2014 build, 16,000 miles

* have hesitated to take the car in for service hoping transmission would improve or 'learn" over time.......actually slowly getting worse to the point where clearly it was not operating as one would expect from a high end design.
Quick and crisp shifts , yes, but not all the other stuff.
* Monday, Feb 15 took car in with a list of transmission snags and was met by the shop foreman. He asked for details . I gave him the quick summary and he told me he had heard all of that before and stated I needed a new torque converter and said he did not need to drive the car at that point. He mentioned the shop had a thirty page document from GM and commented that about 15% of cars would need new torque converters. I don't know if that is from GM or just his opinion.
* Tuesday Feb ,16th. Service manager called early afternoon and said they were installing a new torque converter and he thought the car may be ready by Friday. I asked what diagnostics might have been done to decide on a new torque converter. He said the mechanic , as per GM instructions, uploaded software updates. He then drove the car and found nothing was improved therefore a new torque converter was required. I was told my car was not the first one that they have done a TC replacement on.
As soon as I have any significant updates and /or the car back I will post the results.
Great news!!! Before my new torque converter was installed, I thought my car shifted smoothly. After it was installed it REALLY shifted smoothly. Glad your dealer stepped up to the plate and is replacing your torque converter. I think the main problem is finding a dealer who will properly diagnose your problem and replace your torque converter. It helps to go to a dealer who has already replaced A8 torque converters.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Great news!!! Before my new torque converter was installed, I thought my car shifted smoothly. After it was installed it REALLY shifted smoothly. Glad your dealer stepped up to the plate and is replacing your torque converter. I think the main problem is finding a dealer who will properly diagnose your problem and replace your torque converter. It helps to go to a dealer who has already replaced A8 torque converters.
I agree. Speaking with our SM two weeks ago I told him I was thinking that the time had come to make an appointment and specifically asked if their Transmission tech had done any C7 transmission related work. The answer was that as we spoke they were replacing a C7 torque converter. I therefore thought that this would be a good shop to look into problems I was having with the car . In addition, previous servicing for the car was always well handled by them . For example ,when I was ready for my first "free" oil change I mentioned I only had about 2,500 miles on the car and the DIC oil monitor was I think about 65 or 70 %. The answer I got was that I can have the 4 "warranty" oil changes whenever I want and yes " we only use Mobil 1 on the Vette's".....SOLD.

Last edited by 767guy; 02-16-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by redlined
Am i correct in assuming that an issue like this would be covered under the 5yr/60,000mi warranty?
Yes, it's part of the powertrain.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got off of the phone with my SM and he said his shop hasn't had any of these come in. He advised that I wait until the bulletin is updated to specify a new part.

The way he read it, the replacement torque converter is the same part, so in his mind it makes no sense to replace it until a newer part is specified.

Can someone clarify this? I'd prefer to get this done sooner, rather than later.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 03:02 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by roSSco
I just got off of the phone with my SM and he said his shop hasn't had any of these come in. He advised that I wait until the bulletin is updated to specify a new part.

The way he read it, the replacement torque converter is the same part, so in his mind it makes no sense to replace it until a newer part is specified.

Can someone clarify this? I'd prefer to get this done sooner, rather than later.

Thanks
Here we go again. I'm hoping that my dealer, Criswell, has some experience dealing with this issue.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Originally Posted by roSSco

Thanks
I looked over my invoice and the part number listed for my new torque converter was not located after running it on a major GM parts warehouse. My invoice also stated the dealer contacted someone with GM who approved the new torque converter and he gave them the part number. Maybe someone else who had a new torque converter installed can locate the new torque converter number. From reading the posts on this site and others, GM is now replacing a lot of torque converters and you would think that they are using the new torque converters rather than the defective converters.

Last edited by Red C8 of Jax; 02-17-2016 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roSSco (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

If you want answers about the A8 transmission and torque converter be sure to cast your vote for this week's "ask Tadge" poll question, A8 Transmission/Torque Converter (full question to Tadge can be read in post#6, link below).

Voting ends February 21st.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-2016-a.html
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
If you want answers about the A8 transmission and torque converter be sure to cast your vote for this week's "ask Tadge" poll question, A8 Transmission/Torque Converter (full question to Tadge can be read in post#6, link below).

Voting ends February 21st.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ry-2016-a.html
why can't GM just clear up all this speculation and lay out the facts...

NOW !
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Formula52
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

I hope someone asks them at the Birthday Bash in April about the TC problems and replacement.
Let's see them squirm out of answering in front of a large Corvette crowd....

I plan on asking at Carlisle, but that is not until August
Maybe by then there will be a recall, but I doubt it.....

We early A8 people got to stick together...
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by formula52
i hope someone asks them at the birthday bash in april about the tc problems and replacement.
Let's see them squirm out of answering in front of a large corvette crowd....

I plan on asking at carlisle, but that is not until august
Maybe by then there will be a recall, but i doubt it.....

We early a8 people got to stick together...
the dealers should step up and demand an answer ...because
the issue is wasting their time and ticking of their customers ...the dealers should want an answer as much as owners and potential buyers .. Used and new ...
The following users liked this post:
Formula52 (02-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To A8's and Torque Converter failure

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
why can't GM just clear up all this speculation and lay out the facts...NOW !
There's potentially a load of money at stake fixing thousands of A8s, and they are likely trying to take the least-damaging road. I'm not as concerned about a defective part that will eventually be sorted out through the warranty process than I am about the ball of confusion that surrounds this topic.

Even my SM claims he doesn't know what's going on, and since he's been a straight-shooter in the past I believe him. He said he did one TC change on a Corvette a while back, then the TSB for the fluid/filter change came out later and they now have one car in the queue for that procedure, now waiting on a filter. He also has a filter on order for me, as I've decided a fluid/filter change can't hurt anything.

Last edited by iclick; 02-18-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iclick
there's potentially a load of money at stake fixing thousands of a8s, and they are likely trying to take the least-damaging road. I'm not as concerned about a defective part that will eventually be sorted out through the warranty process than i am about the ball of confusion that surrounds this topic.

Even my sm claims he doesn't know what's going on, and since he's been a straight-shooter in the past i believe him. He said he did one tc change on a corvette a while back, then the tsb for the fluid/filter change came out later and they now have one car in the queue for that procedure, now waiting on a filter. He also has a filter on order for me, as i've decided a fluid/filter change can't hurt anything.
$$$$$$$$ is the driving force in all if not most decisions ....

And because this issue is not safety related ..the thinking could be " who cares " ...
Perhaps gm ..will get sick of reading these never ending posts ... And act ..
Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope some more information comes out soon regarding this. I've only driven a couple hundred miles and the symptoms are annoying.

I'm looking forward to a properly functioning Corvette

Quick Reply: A8's and Torque Converter failure