A8's and Torque Converter failure - Page 33 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8's and Torque Converter failure

Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Marine1965
CF Senior Member

Sir......I know this thread is old, but I need my 2014 Z51 torque converter and the Chevy dealer says it takes 16 hrs at over $125 an hour to change it....I find that to be totally redicilous to make me think that the man is going to stand under my car for 16 hrs....no lunch, no smokes, no bullshitting around! ?that is hwy robbery....he says he has to take out the trans to change the converter....I can't picture that is necessary...he says he has to take out my American Racing Long tube headers......do you have any knowledge of where I can find something in writing to take down there to show that they should not have to pull my trans to change the converter? And are you familiar with that stupid cost and amount of hrs to do the job? Appreciate any info from you on this....Thank you...
Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 PM
pettvette
CF Senior Member

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by Marine1965 View Post
Sir......I know this thread is old, but I need my 2014 Z51 torque converter and the Chevy dealer says it takes 16 hrs at over $125 an hour to change it....I find that to be totally redicilous to make me think that the man is going to stand under my car for 16 hrs....no lunch, no smokes, no bullshitting around! ?that is hwy robbery....he says he has to take out the trans to change the converter....I can't picture that is necessary...he says he has to take out my American Racing Long tube headers......do you have any knowledge of where I can find something in writing to take down there to show that they should not have to pull my trans to change the converter? And are you familiar with that stupid cost and amount of hrs to do the job? Appreciate any info from you on this....Thank you...
It took them 2 days to do mine. The rear suspension, transmission, exhaust, torq tube all had to be removed... Guess that's not what you wanted to hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to pettvette For This Useful Post:
Marine1965 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Ernest_T
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marine1965 View Post
they are correct. Most of the lower rear of the car had to come off including the tranny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest_T For This Useful Post:
Marine1965 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 PM
LBRc7
CF Member

Maybe if it's their first TC change out. Otherwise I dont believe it would take a professional mechanic with a lift 16 hours to perform this job if he is already familiar with it.

Just my .02. Sucks your PT warranty it gone
The Following User Says Thank You to LBRc7 For This Useful Post:
Marine1965 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Heidemarie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pettvette View Post
It took them 2 days to do mine. The rear suspension, transmission, exhaust, torq tube all had to be removed... Guess that's not what you wanted to hear.
Originally Posted by Ernest_T View Post

they are correct. Most of the lower rear of the car had to come off including the tranny.
Originally Posted by LBRc7 View Post
Maybe if it's their first TC change out. Otherwise I dont believe it would take a professional mechanic with a lift 16 hours to perform this job if he is already familiar with it.

Just my .02. Sucks your PT warranty it gone
It's a BIG job.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Travelor
CF Senior Member

They use a "flat rate" book to charge shop hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Travelor For This Useful Post:
Chevette!?!? (01-09-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Jpena229

Originally Posted by 555ctsv View Post
Mine has a really bad delay going into drive or reverse along with a nice "bang". I did the fluid level check proceedure and all was good. I have a cam and blower so im sure the dealer would just laugh if i tried to warranty this. Wish there was a nice tsb for this as it seems like a pretty big problem
My C7 had the same problem (among many others) took it to the dealer and the tranny guy showed me a service bulletin that talked about this problem and blamed it on a bad torque converter stator. I took the car in and for some reason they replaced the whole transmission under warranty. problem went away and 10,000 miles later its still good.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 AM
thocar
CF Member

The TT Change in my C7 takes one day here in Germany

8.30 in the morning I arrived at the dealer, 5.30 in the evening they finished the work.

Thomas

Last edited by thocar; 01-11-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,208 Times in 854 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Congrats. What GM dealers are still operating in Europe? I thought GM sold Opel and Vauxhall to PSA. I have lots of fond memories of my years in Germany.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 PM
dacbr131

We have a 2016 Z51 coupe and developed the dreaded shudder at 11,100 miles (more or less). Took it to my nearby dealer yesterday (01/10/2019). They were able to confirm the problem. The service bulletin for this still calls for the triple flush as the first attempt to remedy the problem. And it appears to have worked -- so far. I am to drive the car for 200 miles and then take it back in to be reassessed.

BUT, the reason I wanted to post this was that the service agent mentioned when I first came in that he thought there was a "brand new fix" related to the stator. But it's not an approved policy as yet. :-(

I'll get back here after another 197 miles and let you know what's up then. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to dacbr131 For This Useful Post:
joemessman (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 PM
speed4tu
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dacbr131 View Post
We have a 2016 Z51 coupe and developed the dreaded shudder at 11,100 miles (more or less). Took it to my nearby dealer yesterday (01/10/2019). They were able to confirm the problem. The service bulletin for this still calls for the triple flush as the first attempt to remedy the problem. And it appears to have worked -- so far. I am to drive the car for 200 miles and then take it back in to be reassessed.

BUT, the reason I wanted to post this was that the service agent mentioned when I first came in that he thought there was a "brand new fix" related to the stator. But it's not an approved policy as yet. :-(

I'll get back here after another 197 miles and let you know what's up then. :-)
Same story here. I dropped my 16 Z51 off a couple days ago after putting 200 miles on from a flush. Now they say they have done another flush and to drive it 200 more miles. Personally Im tiring of GM's game pretty quickly. It's like running over rumble strips, its not gonna fix it. Other than waste my time dropping it off. Was strongly considering a Z06 upgrade but im certain this is my last GM car.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM
iclick
CF Senior Member

I had my TC changed on my 2015, along with a 3x flush, two years ago and the dealer showed 13 hours on the invoice. It was a warranty job.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Witch Doctor

So why did they put launch control and the transmission selections
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM
thocar
CF Member

rmorin

here you can search for Corvette Service and Vendors in Germany

https://www.chevrolet.de/hilfe/haendlersuche.html

Thomas

Last edited by thocar; 01-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:36 AM
thocar
CF Member

In the German Corvette Forum somebody wrote yesterday - GM has terminated all contracts with GM dealers/vendors in Germany / whole EU

I hope, they will care for the warranty in future - my car has another 2 years warranty.

Thomas
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Thors_hammer
CF Senior Member

Default Torgue converter

[color=left=#000000]I have experienced most of what you have listed, the tech verified my complaint and found bulletin # 16NA175. The torgue converter oil was changed. Changing the oil is not a simple procedure, they have to drop the exhaust system to perform the oil change. As of right now every thing seems to be much better. However after reading about these problems I do not think that this is going to be a permanent solution.
I bought this 2016 Stingray from a small dealer, the service rep said that this is the first Vette that they have done this repair.[/color]
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Witch Doctor

Default Torque converter problems

OK I've been following this tour converter problem for sometime now because I have a 2016 C7 automatic. The general reading of all of the large number of these threats of this thread it appears you wash it out three times and problem goes away well I'm sorry but I don't think that's really the answer it's a temporary fix but it's not the answer imho. The prblem is the change from V4 to V8. This seems to cause "metal shavings" in the transmission fluid.

Then the 3x flush washes them mostly out of tranny But not all of them!

When you spin a bearing do you drop the pan. Dump the oil on the pan. Pull the head, drive old piston out replace the bearing? NOT ON MY CAR YOU'RE NOT!!!
Repectively submitted
warren

Well you get the picture
Old 01-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Har-ray
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blue-C7 of Jax View Post
When you place your car in "M" your car does not shift into V4 it stays in V8. That's why you don't feel your tranny shuddering. Mine got worse especially when I placed it in cruise control.

They shudder in “M” mode also. The Camaro forum had a post regarding a class action lawsuit being started by a law firm in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Ernest_T
CF Senior Member

I think the real answer is to trash the V4 mode and just keep the damn thing in V8 mode all the time. It seems simpler to just reflash the ECM than deal with all these TC and transmission replacements. I don't think GM is going to do that though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8's and Torque Converter failure

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: