Sponsored by:

Vitesse Throttle Controller install/review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:26 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Vitesse Throttle Controller install/review

Last week I finally got around to installing my throttle controller. To do the install you'll need some cardboard or something soft to kneel on. Open the driver's door and position yourself so you can work on the pedal. Pullout the old socket wrench set. Now you need to find the bolt that holds the pedal to the floor. It's hiding behind a little rubber cover. Peel it back with a dental pick or your nail. Once the screw is out pull the pedal toward the back of the car and lift out. The pedal has hooks that sit in a slot. Reverse this when you re-install. The electrical connectors need to be removed and plugged into the controller. They only go in one way so I would say this part of the install is idiot proof. I fished the controller behind the rug and the LCD display too to the right of my leg. I guess if you wanted to mess with it you could mount it in the center storage bin but I saw no reason. Anyway, there are 9 setting and several EC0 settings.

Performance: This controller is like adding 100 hp to the car. It is that dramatic. On setting 9 figure that you will be beating up your clutch and tires some and probably will be doing some wheelies. The car just jumps when changing lower gears even with the lightest throttle. It takes some getting use to. I settled on setting 7 which is pretty aggressive too but much more drive-able. I really love this throttle controller. It's fun and removes any throttle lag. For 180.00 it's worth every penny.

Last edited by traderfjp; 02-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by traderfjp:
2FAST4U (05-29-2016), bjones7131 (10-17-2016), JST4PLA (06-14-2016), Mike Campbell (06-06-2018), mrbdas (02-06-2016), pantera/diablo (07-12-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I usually run mine on SP7 too. Awesome mod. Here's where I mounted my controller.

The following 2 users liked this post by Patches:
Mike Campbell (06-06-2018), mrbdas (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

^^ I put mine in the same spot. This thing works great, I'm very happy I put it in.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

That looks really nice. Did you take the center console out?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You just have to remove the console lid and the pad that runs along the drivers side. Then pop the front console section up, you can access all you need then.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like a really mod for the car.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:31 AM
matt3310
Support St Jude!!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
1st St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Just did the same to mine! Its a must have mod!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

Our mode select has 2 throttle progression settings, normal and sport. This mod slices that 10 ways. Are they electronically changing the same settings withing the ECU but expanding the boundaries as well?

Would this be detected and become a warranty buster?

Last edited by felkebg; 02-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Taken for their website:

Explanation of Throttle Response

Throttle response is how fast it takes from the time you mash the accelerator pedal to the time the engine RPM rises and how fast it rises. Throttle response is all about the time delay in the control system which alters the air pressure in the inlet manifold. It's only the time delay between moving the driver's right foot and changing the amount of air available at the inlets.

A more responsive 400hp engine will outrun (other than top speed) a less responsive yet more powerful 450hp engine on the track assuming driver skills and vehicle suspension tire adhesion etcetera being equal in the same car every time.

When you open the throttle it responds by sucking in more air and adding more fuel. The power increase is caused because your RPM's rise. The faster your RPM's rise the faster your car can reach max power.

Cold air intakes / ported throttle bodies / ported intakes .... will all give some additional maximum power but a Throttle Controller's biggest benefit is allowing the engine RPM to rise faster which translates to reaching maximum power sooner which means the car will be accelerating faster.

How the Throttle Controller will affect your driving:

1- Daily Driving or at the Race Track:
Our Camaros are equipped with a drive-by-wire system and the throttle response is affected badly by this and as most of us feel a noticeable delay when quickly changing the position of the gas pedal. ( You will understand and feel this delay after you install your new Controller ). The Throttle response delay / Lag is an intentional design on the "Drive by Wire system and the reasons are:

• Decreasing emissions
• Safety and drivability.
• Comfort.
• Fuel economy

Driving Pleasure:

Throttle response plays a major role in driving pleasure, as this gives the driver more control over the vehicle's acceleration or deceleration. If you have a very precise throttle response, it will not only make your driving maneuvers a lot more predictable but makes you feel more comfortable pushing the car's limits on corners.

On a race track, while entering a corner, the requested power output is reduced since the vehicle is coasting or braking. After passing the corner, the driver will suddenly request more power to accelerate back to normal speeds. Fast throttle response allows a vehicle to regain its speed quickly after cornering. Drifting requires very precise and instant throttle response on a rear-wheel drive car, one wants to increase torque on the rear wheels at a precise moment in a corner to make it turn the car more in the direction of the road ahead past the corner, and make it stop at a precise moment or the car will spin out of control. No matter what the maximum engine power is, if the throttle response is slow, you will not be able to have control or do this maneuver.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't really understand what this is supposed to do; change the throttle 'response time'?

Wouldn't this be something most tuners adjust (or can adjust) via HP Tuners?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

I would equate what the throttle controller does to a short throw shifter. Lets say you are shifting from 1st to 2nd and mash the pedal half way down. With the controller you could set it so you only have to push the pedal 1/4 of the way down to get the same throttle response. I could be wrong but I think that is the main idea of how this product works.

Last edited by traderfjp; 02-07-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

The Vitesse reduces (or increases if you use the economy mode) the delay between pressing the accel pedal and the rise in engine rpm. The higher the setting, SP0 being the stock response to the max of SP9, the quicker the throttle responds to inputs. This translates to superior control of the car's power since it eliminates the need to adjust throttle inputs to adjust for the response delay. You apply power when you need it and it responds immediately. There is no need to anticipate and offset the inputs to "lead" the delay.

The explanation from Vitesse describes it nicely. Coming out of a corner, there is no need to tip the throttle in early to try and hit the exit trajectory at optimum throttle position - you press the pedal precisely when you need it.

I would equate the change in feel/response to the 3.42==>>4.10 gear swap I did in my C5 - the shorter gearing significantly increased the ratio of the output shaft rpm to engine rpm causing a dramatic acceleration improvement due to torque multiplication. That is a mechanical equivalent to the Vitesse controller. The Vitesse, however, allows real-time +/- adjustability that a fixed gear ratio change does not.

That said, if you generally drive your car at 2/10ths and don't get why this is such a great mod, save your dough.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
The Vitesse reduces (or increases if you use the economy mode) the delay between pressing the accel pedal and the rise in engine rpm. The higher the setting, SP0 being the stock response to the max of SP9, the quicker the throttle responds to inputs. This translates to superior control of the car's power since it eliminates the need to adjust throttle inputs to adjust for the response delay. You apply power when you need it and it responds immediately. There is no need to anticipate and offset the inputs to "lead" the delay.

The explanation from Vitesse describes it nicely. Coming out of a corner, there is no need to tip the throttle in early to try and hit the exit trajectory at optimum throttle position - you press the pedal precisely when you need it.

I would equate the change in feel/response to the 3.42==>>4.10 gear swap I did in my C5 - the shorter gearing significantly increased the ratio of the output shaft rpm to engine rpm causing a dramatic acceleration improvement due to torque multiplication. That is a mechanical equivalent to the Vitesse controller. The Vitesse, however, allows real-time +/- adjustability that a fixed gear ratio change does not.

That said, if you generally drive your car at 2/10ths and don't get why this is such a great mod, save your dough.
Thanks for the info.

I track my car regularly @ VIR.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Last week I finally got around to installing my throttle controller. To do the install you'll need some cardboard or something soft to kneel on. Open the driver's door and position yourself so you can work on the pedal. Pullout the old socket wrench set. Now you need to find the bolt that holds the pedal to the floor. It's hiding behind a little rubber cover. Peel it back with a dental pick or your nail. Once the screw is out pull the pedal toward the back of the car and lift out. The pedal has hooks that sit in a slot. Reverse this when you re-install. The electrical connectors need to be removed and plugged into the controller. They only go in one way so I would say this part of the install is idiot proof. I fished the controller behind the rug and the LCD display too to the right of my leg. I guess if you wanted to mess with it you could mount it in the center storage bin but I saw no reason. Anyway, there are 9 setting and several EC0 settings.

Performance: This controller is like adding 100 hp to the car. It is that dramatic. On setting 9 figure that you will be beating up your clutch and tires some and probably will be doing some wheelies. The car just jumps when changing lower gears even with the lightest throttle. It takes some getting use to. I settled on setting 7 which is pretty aggressive too but much more drive-able. I really love this throttle controller. It's fun and removes any throttle lag. For 180.00 it's worth every penny.
That's awesome and I'm glad you like it, but I never understood how they change anything... if you and I line up, and we both the throttle, you're not going to get the jump on me.

now if we play a game and the game is, throttle can't physically pass 50%, then you might get a jump on me, but who plays that. lol...

they just change the way the car feels. (but I guess that's an important aspect of responsiveness) at WOT, nothing has changed though...

Looks like a cool little mod. but wouldn't getting the diablosport tuner do the same thing sorta? you just can't change it on the go I guess.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:32 PM
vette4db
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this mod more for an automatic? Or do you get the same enjoyment from it if you have a manual ?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette4db
Is this mod more for an automatic? Or do you get the same enjoyment from it if you have a manual ?
Both benefit.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:56 AM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
That's awesome and I'm glad you like it, but I never understood how they change anything... if you and I line up, and we both the throttle, you're not going to get the jump on me.

now if we play a game and the game is, throttle can't physically pass 50%, then you might get a jump on me, but who plays that. lol...

they just change the way the car feels. (but I guess that's an important aspect of responsiveness) at WOT, nothing has changed though...

Looks like a cool little mod. but wouldn't getting the diablosport tuner do the same thing sorta? you just can't change it on the go I guess.
This.

The mod make the accelerator feel like it's juiced up, but the hp gain is zero. I have the same thing on my BMW called a pedal box. Honestly it is best mod the car has and it has like 10 mods to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Vitesse Throttle Controller install/review

Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I installed it on my 16 Z51 M7 last week. I was noticing that taking off from a stop in traffic was a touchy proposition. It just didn't like light throttle and a bit of clutch. I never knew how much it needed or required to take off smoothly. And yes, I've been driving high performance manual cars most of my almost 47 years of driving.

It's way better now on setting 04. I haven't driven it much, but now I don't feel as if it's going to stall, or do a burnout.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

I agree. I even stalled my car twice. Setting 7 seems to work for me but 9 is crazy too much.

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I installed it on my 16 Z51 M7 last week. I was noticing that taking off from a stop in traffic was a touchy proposition. It just didn't like light throttle and a bit of clutch. I never knew how much it needed or required to take off smoothly. And yes, I've been driving high performance manual cars most of my almost 47 years of driving.

It's way better now on setting 04. I haven't driven it much, but now I don't feel as if it's going to stall, or do a burnout.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny how there are so many people who have this installed, post about their experience with it only to have others in disbelief that it could actually work as advertised. I have been doing mods from the skip-shift eliminator to superchargers on Corvettes for the past 15 years and this is among the top three of the dozens I have done and it's nearly the least expensive of all.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Throttle Controller install/review