Sponsored by:

Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking noise

patience please just learning how to use this sight. Already had some dude eat me alive for posting wrong lol.

Has anyone experienced a slight ticking noise inside the 2016 convertible (not that convertible makes a difference). The noise seems to come and go.
Naturally the dealer says its normal but the fact the noise comes and goes makes me wonder.
I notice the noise when stopped at a red light or in an idol.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Hi Mike,
It's more than likely the direct fuel injectors that you are hearing. Back in the day hearing that on my car would have been called - "wow noisy lifters". On this car it's the DFI. Much more noticeable at for example a drive through ATM etc. where the noise is reflected more.

tom
Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kenownr
Hi Mike,
It's more than likely the direct fuel injectors that you are hearing. Back in the day hearing that on my car would have been called - "wow noisy lifters". On this car it's the DFI. Much more noticeable at for example a drive through ATM etc. where the noise is reflected more.

tom
Thanks Tom for the input.
Thanks for not "rolling your eye like the rude guy did over my door closing issue lol.
Your information puts me at ease.
Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 11:22 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Yup direct injectors can cause the ticking. However... if its a loud ticking, it can be (believe it or not) something as simple as a loose spark plug wire.
Sounds nuts, but it happen here. Ticking drove me crazy. I noticed it was a little louder on one side. Sure enough it was one wire passenger side.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
Yup direct injectors can cause the ticking. However... if its a loud ticking, it can be (believe it or not) something as simple as a loose spark plug wire.
Sounds nuts, but it happen here. Ticking drove me crazy. I noticed it was a little louder on one side. Sure enough it was one wire passenger side.
Thanks a million....I will get it checked out.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

This C7 makes all kinda noices over my C6 don't know what to think of it all
Old 02-10-2016, 07:29 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

This is my fourth vette. I just recently came back after leasing a bmw. I forgot how noisy these cars are, I don't mean this in a negative way. The ls/lt motors, the tire/road noise in the cabin and the general m7 drive train noise.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
This C7 makes all kinda noices over my C6 don't know what to think of it all
My C7 is relatively quiet. But my LS2 sounded like solid lifters.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My car is getting fixed for a collapsed lifter and premature wear on the camshaft so both of those are getting replaced. The mechanic havent gotten around to my transmission compliant yet. The engine started making this noticeable loud clicking noise in v8 recently and an engine light was on so I brought the car in to get it checked.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pompelia
patience please just learning how to use this sight. Already had some dude eat me alive for posting wrong lol.

Has anyone experienced a slight ticking noise inside the 2016 convertible (not that convertible makes a difference). The noise seems to come and go.
Naturally the dealer says its normal but the fact the noise comes and goes makes me wonder.
I notice the noise when stopped at a red light or in an idol.
Thanks for your help.
Hi Michael,

I am sorry to hear you’re experiencing this intermittent noise concern with your Corvette. I see that other forum members have offered some great advice, but feel free to send us a private message if you would like an additional layer of support. We would be more than willing to research this further on our end. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Kindly,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Old 02-11-2016, 03:25 AM
Thejoyofdriving
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it rpm specific? I.e. louder at a specific rpm.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

The loud Singer like ticking is being addressed in 2017 with a new design injector that will also allow for a little more HP.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Pompelia
Thanks Tom for the input.
Thanks for not "rolling your eye like the rude guy did over my door closing issue lol.
Your information puts me at ease.
Mike
Saw your post re door closing. Since your new to the forum suggest you don't take any negative response personally! Some like to have fun and don't understand your car may be different than theirs!
Mine is an early build, September 2013, and when questioning why my hatch would not latch, had some "would be experts" telling me I just don't know how to do it or I was just not strong enough! In fairness many cars did work as designed from day one. I (and may others who had the same problem) were finally vindicated when GM changed the 2016 and reverted back to the motorized pull down like I had on my C6!
That magic "memory wire" vent that they hyped when the car was introduced, just didn't work for many cars.
Some of those who pressed to latch found the hatch frame paint crack from the flexing! In fact at least one poster said his hatch frame cracked! GM finally advised to press from the window edge NOT in the center.
My technical area is materials and when I saw the bottom hatch frame bend what I thought was excessively when pressing, I would not press to latch. Keeping a door open allowed it to latch with very little force. I still must have my door open to have the hatch latch after 28 months and I have tried all the possible adjustment etc!
Was still getting comments after 1 1/2 years that I was just not strong enough and had to reply that with my 7 day a week exercise program, on "back day" I do 3 sets of 10 pull-ups!! Not bad for 73!
I don't take it personally and frankly have fun responding. Overall this is a great forum and you'll often get much better answers to questions than from a dealer! As like any internet info have to sift thru all the responses! Welcome aboard!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2016 at 08:25 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JerryU:
Micster (01-05-2017), Rebel Yell (10-06-2016), sabasigh (10-06-2016), Vetteram (01-05-2017)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Saw your post re door closing. Since your new to the forum suggest you don't take any negative response personally! Some like to have fun and don't understand your car may be different than theirs!
Mine is an early build, September 2013, and when questioning why my hatch would not latch, had some "would be experts" telling me I just don't know how to do it or I was just not strong enough! In fairness many cars did work as designed from day one. I (and may others who had the same problem) were finally vindicated when GM changed the 2016 and reverted back to the motorized pull down like I had on my C6!
That magic "memory wire" vent that they hyped when the car was introduced, just didn't work for many cars.
Some of those who pressed to latch found the hatch frame paint crack from the flexing! In fact at least one poster said his hatch frame cracked! GM finally advised to press from the window edge NOT in the center.
My technical area is materials and when I saw the bottom hatch frame bend what I thought was excessively when pressing, I would not press to latch. Keeping a door open allowed it to latch with very little force. I still must have my door open to have the hatch latch after 28 months and I have tried all the possible adjustment etc!
Was still getting comments after 1 1/2 years that I was just not strong enough and had to reply that with my 7 day a week exercise program, on "back day" I do 3 sets of 10 pull-ups!! Not bad for 73!
I don't take it personally and frankly have fun responding. Overall this is a great forum and you'll often get much better answers to questions than from a dealer! As like any internet info have to sift thru all the responses! Welcome aboard!
Well said! and welcome to OP.
The following 2 users liked this post by JC 2004:
JerryU (02-11-2016), Michael Pompelia (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi Michael,

I am sorry to hear you’re experiencing this intermittent noise concern with your Corvette. I see that other forum members have offered some great advice, but feel free to send us a private message if you would like an additional layer of support. We would be more than willing to research this further on our end. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Kindly,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks for your reply Julie. I appreciate your concern
My car is a nightmare.
I have had 23 corvettes and besides the 1984 this is the worst.
Driver door does not fit. Dealer has tried to fix it but it still does not fit properly.
No one should have to slam a door that hard to get it to shut. ESPECIALLY at 90 grand
The engine overheated at 2000 miles and left me on the side of the road.
Now the ticking noise.
Wish a million times I had not purchased this $90,000 worth of junk.
I saw on Netflix a documentary where I was purchasing the finest of the finest built corvettes.........SO NOT TRUE.
Not sure what recourse I have but I do plan to find out.
Quality Control in Bowling Green needs some serious attention.
My car has been in the service department more than I have driven it.
My name is Michael Pompelia.
I do not have the VIN number with me. Could you look it up?
I purchased the car in Meridian MS at Nelson Hall Chevrolet.
My dad worked there for 40 years.
I'm not holding the dealership responsible but I am holding GM responsible to the fullest.
Thanks again for your reply.
Mike
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Default thank you

Originally Posted by JC 2004
Well said! and welcome to OP.
Thanks for the reply Jerry.
You are correct. The info here is much better than from the dealer.
I will get thicker skin as I too am a gym rat and a workout fanatic.
SO I will keep slamming the heck out of the door until it has to go to the shop and the dealer can see the results lol.
Thanks again for the welcome.
All the best
Mike
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking noise

Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Michael Pompelia
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN