Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by chief7
My 2016 Z51 3LT came with a discount package to attend the Ron Fellows Driving School outside of Las Vegas. I am considering flying out to attend but am looking for feedback from anyone that has taken the course. Is it worth the discounted price of $1000 for the course? Was the driving experience as good as they claim? Any info would be appreciated.
I haven't been in years but for $1K - it is a no brainer. I just bought a new Z06 and I'll be there in June.

D.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:29 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FORD GUY
You have 12 months from the time you pick up your car. You can go over a couple of months and it is solely at the discretion of GM when Spring Mountain enters your Vin# if it is approved, couple of months may not be a big deal. Going in June and picked up my car in May so I got an extra month.
I was going to ask the same question. How hard was it to get approved to go over 12 months?
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

The 2 day course is worth the discounted price.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM
whl3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with all that has been said here. A couple of caveats. #1 The 2-day school is pretty elementary for anyone with any track experience (as noted, the three day is no longer offered!). However, if you've never driven a Corvette on track, this is the best way to get up to speed quickly. #2 If you've never driven on a track, don't feel intimidated. Most of the people in my class had never driven on a track before. I was very surprised on how little most of the students/owners even knew about their own car! The average age of the students must have been 50+! #3 Spring Mountain, the Holiday Inn Express, and the Winery are all like an oasis in the Pahrump desert!! There is nothing else in Pahrump worth stepping foot into! #4 Unfortunately, it's rare that Spring Mountain will allow you to stay for a third night (after graduation) in one of their condos. My class ended on Saturday. The clubhouse was not open for food or drink that afternoon/evening! Rather than to drive back to Vegas that evening, the only decent place to stay in Pahrump is the Holiday Inn Express. #5 If you get a chance, do the drive through Death Valley!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I got my packet a couple of weeks ago...can I call now and book for this time next year?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
I got my packet a couple of weeks ago...can I call now and book for this time next year?
Yes. My dad's had expired by a month or so when we both decided to go and they still let him do the $1000 owners class. They clear it with GM to make sure. I think it actually goes by the in service date of the car or delivery date not when you get the packet, but I'm sure they will work with you.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:29 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by whl3
There is nothing else in Pahrump worth stepping foot into!
Frontsight Firearms Training Institute is just down the road. If you're into shooting at all, you can usually get a steep discount on a course. Since Pahrump is pretty isolated anyway it might make sense to do a twofer. I did a 4-day handgun course there a couple of years ago, shot off about 1,000 rounds.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:32 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default April 20-21

Any April 20-21 attendees?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:53 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 1776DAVE
I jest received my official offer in the mail. I can't afford it this year. Do I have to use it asap? Or can 9 get an extended time to use it?
Is there any way to learn more about what they teach you. Like is there a video of the class time?
When I received my "Welcome To The Team" package from GM there is a separate card that makes the $1,000 offer. The Chevy website states you have one year from delivery to take advantage of the discount which in my case would be 8/19/2016. But the fine print at the bottom of the card they sent it states this offer expires 11/9/16.

I just looked and there is nothing available with regards to the 2-day class for Sept, Oct, Nov or Dec 2016. Plenty of room during Aug. Guess nobody wants to go in the summer!

-Mickey
Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

They just haven't scheduled that far out yet. Keep checking back, as they do add classes, even in the currently fully booked months.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 PM
FORD GUY
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MickP
When I received my "Welcome To The Team" package from GM there is a separate card that makes the $1,000 offer. The Chevy website states you have one year from delivery to take advantage of the discount which in my case would be 8/19/2016. But the fine print at the bottom of the card they sent it states this offer expires 11/9/16.

I just looked and there is nothing available with regards to the 2-day class for Sept, Oct, Nov or Dec 2016. Plenty of room during Aug. Guess nobody wants to go in the summer!

-Mickey
I picked mine up on May 18th and I'm going at the end of June. Just keep checking the dates everyday and be ready to book your weekend when it opens. Going to see Garth Brooks on Friday and the classes start on Sunday!
https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school
Old 04-01-2016, 02:52 PM
whl3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Because of the popularity of the school, the driving school is under pressure from Chevrolet to expand their registrations. The overall track length is over six miles long and can accommodate three different activities simultaneously. When I was there, there were two classes of twenty students each running on two different courses for the Corvette school. Spring Mountain club members were running on a third course. They are currently running the 2-day school six days a week to full capacity. The Fellows' school also offers other levels of high performance driving schools with both Corvettes and Cadillacs. Presumably, to offer more 2-day schools for Corvette owners, they would have to limit their other driving schools which may be more lucrative! I would imagine that in the heat of the summer, any of the schools are less attractive! I've recently heard that to accommodate additional 2-day schools, Chevrolet is considering doing the same 2-day school at the NCM track in Bowling Green. Maybe not as hot in the summer and closer to Midwest and East Coast owners, but not nearly as easy to get to!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKC7
I was there in Oct. 2015 and it is absolutely worth every penny. Fabulous facility, great instructors and unbelievable driving experiences. Do not miss it.
The following users liked this post:
dpb (04-04-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Because of the popularity of the school, the driving school is under pressure from Chevrolet to expand their registrations. The overall track length is over six miles long and can accommodate three different activities simultaneously. When I was there, there were two classes of twenty students each running on two different courses for the Corvette school. Spring Mountain club members were running on a third course. They are currently running the 2-day school six days a week to full capacity. The Fellows' school also offers other levels of high performance driving schools with both Corvettes and Cadillacs. Presumably, to offer more 2-day schools for Corvette owners, they would have to limit their other driving schools which may be more lucrative! I would imagine that in the heat of the summer, any of the schools are less attractive! I've recently heard that to accommodate additional 2-day schools, Chevrolet is considering doing the same 2-day school at the NCM track in Bowling Green. Maybe not as hot in the summer and closer to Midwest and East Coast owners, but not nearly as easy to get to!
Not as fun either. We leave this Sunday morning and are there Monday/Tuesday Looking forward to the 4 days in Vegas afterwards

Last edited by SK360; 04-01-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:35 PM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with all that has been said here. A couple of caveats. #1 The 2-day school is pretty elementary for anyone with any track experience (as noted, the three day is no longer offered!). However, if you've never driven a Corvette on track, this is the best way to get up to speed quickly. #2 If you've never driven on a track, don't feel intimidated. Most of the people in my class had never driven on a track before. I was very surprised on how little most of the students/owners even knew about their own car! The average age of the students must have been 50+! #3 Spring Mountain, the Holiday Inn Express, and the Winery are all like an oasis in the Pahrump desert!! There is nothing else in Pahrump worth stepping foot into! #4 Unfortunately, it's rare that Spring Mountain will allow you to stay for a third night (after graduation) in one of their condos. My class ended on Saturday. The clubhouse was not open for food or drink that afternoon/evening! Rather than to drive back to Vegas that evening, the only decent place to stay in Pahrump is the Holiday Inn Express. #5 If you get a chance, do the drive through Death Valley!
I agree with everything whl3 said above... for a little more info, here is an in depth review I did after taking this course back in November of last year.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-video.html

Enjoy the course!
joemessman (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 12:40 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by chief7
My 2016 Z51 3LT came with a discount package to attend the Ron Fellows Driving School outside of Las Vegas. I am considering flying out to attend but am looking for feedback from anyone that has taken the course. Is it worth the discounted price of $1000 for the course? Was the driving experience as good as they claim? Any info would be appreciated.
Most definitely DO IT!! Pop for the extra $$$ and do the 3rd day, ask about deals to stay in the condos. They have a discount for Corvette Forum members, ask when you call. Great course, great facility, great bunch of guys, any more info you need feel free to PM me.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:51 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Both times I went I did the 3 day in mid July, the heat is very dry, and I had no issues at all with it, although a few guys in my classes did. Both Level 1 and Level 2 classes they pretty much limit each session to about 45 minutes, then check the cars out. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine, they run all the cars with windows up and A/C on. I hadn't heard about them not offering the 3rd day any longer, but it must just be for the new owners class I'm guessing. They do offer deals for the summer months if you don't mind the temps.

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Driving School

Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
Sooooooooo I just pulled the trigger on booking this trip.

I will be attending May 25,26!

I was just about to pull the trigger on some wheels when I thought I'd rather spend that money on a track experience for my car.
What better way than to go to this school and track someone else's Vette!!

Excited
See you in May!
TennisFreak (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:17 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

They called me yesterday for going over the course and booking a room.

They were out of $110 rooms so I had to pay up for a $147 room.
I am going to stay the night before so it will be easier to get up and get ready the first day.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I'm sure that's what everyone does.

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Driving School