Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Car Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Dealripper
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aftermarket Car Alarms

Our C7 has a built in factory alarm, but has anyone supplemented it an aftermarket alarm. Just curious as to what's available in the high tech world these days.🏁
Old 02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I have not added any additional alarm. My feeling with alarms is they go off so often that no one even pays attention to them.

The C7 has a pretty decent alarm. If you leave the windows down and lock the car, try reaching in the window
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

If you have a 2LT or 3LT, I would leave it along. You could probably improve a little over the base alarm on the 1LT, but the advanced theft deterrent that is part of the 2LT group is pretty good.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

The following users liked this post:
Dealripper (02-20-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
If you have a 2LT or 3LT, I would leave it along. You could probably improve a little over the base alarm on the 1LT, but the advanced theft deterrent that is part of the 2LT group is pretty good.

Dave
*alone.....

Well not really, in my C5 I had a two way Viper which would vibrate the remote if the alarm went off, which is good. The factory alarm isn't all that good considering the motion sensor is deactivated if the top is off (yes I know about the bypass, which in a perfect world shouldn't be). The Viper in my C5 'vert had a greater distance as well as motion detectors that worked while the top was DOWN. The only downside about an aftermarket alarm is having another cumbersome key fob.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

I have always used Clifford/Viper DEI systems. I had the very first Clifford remote control system way back in the 80s... back then you could actually scare people by making the car chirp with the remote.

If you do a good install they will generally last a lifetime. The one on my recently sold 1994 Camaro was working as new when I sold that car a few weeks ago.

Agree with other posters that alarms in general aren't that much protection because people ignore them. But in some situations (late at night) it will get more attention. Plus all the good aftermarket systems are 2-way so the fob alerts you... and you won't ignore the alarm. The DEI systems (and probably others) also alert you on pre alarm, like a bump or tap that doesn't fully set off the shock sensor, like when kids run into your car playing soccer or football.

Install of the alarm is not super difficult but will require getting into the dash and understanding what wires you need. Most of these have the ability to do remote start but that install gets a lot more complicated with the need for bypass modules and tapping into PCM and main high current wires. If you have a really good pro that might be the way to go but a lot of installers are kids and a bad install can create a nightmare.

I am not putting one of these on my Vette. I don't intend to leave it in questionable places and the factory alarm will have to suffice.

Last edited by raylo; 02-21-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:31 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

After 2 years of ownership, I'm still trying to figure out how to fool the alarm!!! I had a car show yesterday and would have loved to temporarily "out-thunk" the alarm but alas , it has proven futile! I want the proximity alarm to set while the hood is open, the trunk is up and the top is down. Not going to happen in my lifetime! This alarm is too complicated to mess with, so I'm stuck... When in "show mode", the alarm is inoperable. DRAT!

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-21-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Factory alarm is good enough has not really been a significant number of C7s stolen that I am aware of.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Check out the Drone Alarm System. I have it installed on a couple of vehicles, and it all ties back 2-way to the app on my phone. I also have remote start on my truck with this system, but not needed on the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Car Alarms

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Car Alarms