Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Originally Posted by Internetguru
Topless is the best way to go! So sexy!
This is the exact color combo I would get for myself if I was not obsessed with RED!
If our cars made a baby out would pop dlparsons DSOM Z06
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
One could make the argument that the coupe is just a hard top convertible, take a look at the Aventador Spyder (convertible), manual t-top, stowed in the car just like the C7 coupe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66OaKdMKRc
But one would be mistaken.

The Lambo version of a hard-top "convertible" is nothing like either the C7 coupe or Vert.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Why don't y'all just drive what you want and not call each other fruits and what not.... Beauty is subjective.

I like coupes over verts (and not just on corvettes) because I love the smoother lines of the coupe and because I need storage space on an 'only car' / daily driver. Someone else might have the reverse opinion and it's ok.

Last edited by graj6; 03-27-2016 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TyBoo (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:29 PM
chrsschb
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To me the decision is simply that I prefer the lines of a coupe/targa versus convertible. I liked the experience of driving a porsche boxster with the top down but I love the look of the targa a lot more.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the look of the coupe better plus with the removable roof, while not fully a convertible you still get the openness effect. It's the best of both worlds.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Gabrielk
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if this has been mention before here but, like myself, young new corvette owners choose the coupe because it simply looks better than the vert.
Every vette owner in their 20s and 30s I've notice drives a coupe. Must be for a reason
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,924 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabrielk
I don't know if this has been mention before here but, like myself, young new corvette owners choose the coupe because it simply looks better than the vert.
Every vette owner in their 20s and 30s I've notice drives a coupe. Must be for a reason
A bit of a generalization, but this thread is loaded with them.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Probably the same reason why we all get black wheels instead of chrome too. Wonder if its a generation thing.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing here, but I think younger people use the car as their daily driver and the coupe is more practical. Older folks may buy more convertibles because they have more money and the car is a toy as opposed to a DD.

I'm assuming the first statement is correct that younger people prefer coupes.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
No, I did not "miss both your points." I love it when people claim that on a forum. I DISPUTE them. There's a difference. I maintain that $4000 is NOT CONSEQUENTIAL at ALL when you are dealing with a $75K car that no one really needs. Buying a Corvette is an indulgence. If money is so tight that $4000 means the difference from being able to "afford" a Corvette and not, then perhaps one ought to settle for a Honda Civic. In fact, I stipulate that NO ONE does NOT buy a Convertible because it costs $4000 more. The excuse is a lame one and not at all credible.

I also dispute your markup claim. As I pointed out previously, we all know the mark up on Corvette parts is higher than it would be on a less expensive model. I pointed out a couple of examples. You are nevertheless paying for a mechanism the same way you are paying for a different color or an LT option, or a Z51 package. It should not be surprising that the mark up for this actually provides a profit to GM.

Once again, it makes zero sense to claim on the one hand that GM makes a profit on the convertible because they know they can secure a premium price from someone who really wants one and on the other hand say they are too expensive, so people won't pay the extra price. That is a contradiction. It makes no sense.

I have no problem with people who provide valid examples of why they prefer a coupe. This includes objective differences such as storage space and subjective opinions about style. Both are valid critiques. If you refer a coupe, then you do. There's no counter-argument to that. You can even point out that sales figures "prove" that most people prefer a coupe. That was never in dispute here, but it is a valid, if tautological response.

But I do have a problem with people making up silly reasons for their preference, including making up "facts" that are demonstrably not true, trivial, or meaningless.
Yes. And whats wrong with making a profit? I wanted the Long Beach Red and Body colored vents, so I was willing to pay. And I don't own a convertible, but I think they look great, and depending on your own pleasure points, its a wonderful option to have a convertible as a choice.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:45 AM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I had a 2012 Grand Sport Coupe, and just changed to a 2016 'vert. I found myself always driving the coupe with the top off, and taking the roof on and off was a pain. I love the fully automatic roof operation of the convertible, and how they made the roof line on the C7 convertible a little more slanted.

...but I'm an oddity anyway. I have a yellow convertible with chrome wheels and a STICK. I can't wait for the 2016 production numbers to come out.

Last edited by GM'er; 03-28-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,924 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
I had a 2012 Grand Sport Coupe, and just changed to a 2016 'vert. I found myself always driving the coupe with the top off, and taking the roof on and off was a pain. I love the fully automatic roof operation of the convertible, and how they made the roof line on the C7 convertible a little more slanted.

...but I'm an oddity anyway. I have a yellow convertible with chrome wheels and a STICK. I can't wait for the 2016 production numbers to come out.

I think yours is the first yellow Vert I have seen with chrome wheels and the body colored spoiler. BEAUTIFUL.

Last edited by dvilin; 03-28-2016 at 12:01 PM.
GM'er (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:34 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Another reason younger drivers might buy the coupe is that it's $4k cheaper. If I didn't park in a garage at home and at work, I probably would have gone for the vert.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by SCB
Another reason younger drivers might buy the coupe is that it's $4k cheaper. If I didn't park in a garage at home and at work, I probably would have gone for the vert.
Might be the case, but I'm 27 and it's definitely not because it is cheaper that I am getting the coupe in the 2017 MY. Though $4k is nice to have extra to spend on mods

Originally Posted by petee1997
I'm guessing here, but I think younger people use the car as their daily driver and the coupe is more practical. Older folks may buy more convertibles because they have more money and the car is a toy as opposed to a DD.

I'm assuming the first statement is correct that younger people prefer coupes.
Don't know about the generalization but correct on all points for me and because I prefer the looks of the coupe (younger guy under 30 here)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er

So Beautiful! You chose wisely! Yellow C7 vert with the top down makes me feel like I own that Yellow Ferrari I always wanted as a kid!
Old 04-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Mobil 1
Convertibles ruin the lines of the car in my opinion. Instead of the nice fastback it has a unnatural line to the car when looking at the profile. Also I can remove my top and basically have a convertible and still maintain the fastback lines. Also convertibles add weight and always seem to let more sound in.
This.

My first and fourth Corvettes were convertibles. While I enjoy the top down experience, the simple fact is that most of the time, you'll be driving the car with the top up and it simply doesn't have the same lines with the top up. But this is a minor, minor issue and doesn't hold much weight with most people, myself included.

Noise is second as you point out.

If you live in a state where the weather is humid and/or very hot or it rains a lot, you are limited in your top down driving to nighttime or only very clear and sunny days with no chance of rain. Additionally, sometimes my wife doesn't prefer riding with the top down.

Again, I love convertibles and you have to make the same considerations for taking the roof panel off, but all in all, the coupe seems to be the more popular choice for many of the reasons I stated.

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 04-09-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Amicon
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I enjoy riding a bike so then convertible is my only choice. I liked the open. The Targa is a glorified moon roof and the turbulence behind the front seats doesn't help matters. PIA to store the top..

I'll take all my two seat roadsters topless please

Get notified of new replies

To Convertibles: Why not more popular?

Old 04-09-2016, 02:45 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the lines of the convertible with the top up look incredibly good. With the top down, even better.

Then again, mine is triple black, and with it all black, there aren't any broken up lines with different color pieces for the ground effects, spoiler, convertible top, etc.

Attached Images  

Last edited by LATrafficJam; 04-09-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I almost went for the triple black, but came home with this.
The convertible was a no brainer. Wasn't the first Corvette a vert?
The coupe looks too much like a door chock.
Attached Images  
SyberSaint (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
I think the lines of the convertible with the top up look incredibly good. With the top down, even better.

Then again, mine is triple black, and with it all black, there aren't any broken up lines with different color pieces for the ground effects, spoiler, convertible top, etc.

Very nice

Quick Reply: Convertibles: Why not more popular?