C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little confused, why not just have a Z06 model with 2 engine choices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts
Default A little confused, why not just have a Z06 model with 2 engine choices?

Wouldn't that have made more sense. A Grand touring model and a track model? With maybe an up level Grand Sport option package available on one or the other or both?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Pootatoooo potato....it's all the same...that's exactly what gm did..

They just called it z06 or grand sport...

Look at the various iterations of the 911...

Interestingly enough Porsches new 911 R seems to resemble in concept the new grand sport...

Of course the grand sports mass produced and the 911R will be limited to under 1000 examples...

From a performance perspective I bet these two sports car icons will perform nearly identical....

Of course the corvette grand sport will cost a third of what Porsche charges I. Sure...
The following users liked this post:
sam90lx (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Because the Grand Sport already is/has been that choice.

Your question is like a glass half empty or full thing. Either its a stripped down Z06 or a ***** out Stingray... Since the Grand Sport already existed, that would seem like the logical choice, wouldn't it?

Why make it more complicated than it has to be, while watering down the Z06 name?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/

Your question is like a glass half empty or full thing. Either its a stripped down Z06 or a ***** out Stingray... Since the Grand Sport already existed, that would seem like the logical choice, wouldn't it?

Why make it more complicated than it has to be, while watering down the Z06 name?
A different model makes it more complicated IMO If it's basically a Z06 then call it a Z06 touring.
RCKTRYD (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Wouldn't that have made more sense. A Grand touring model and a track model? With maybe an up level Grand Sport option package available on one or the other or both?
The Z06, Grand Sport and Stingray are all Corvettes. It's their names that tell them apart. It would be more confusing to offer multiple versions of a Z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by n8dogg:
555ctsv (02-24-2020), Big Lebowski (03-05-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by n8dogg
The Z06, Grand Sport and Stingray are all Corvettes. It's their names that tell them apart. It would be more confusing to offer multiple versions of a Z06.
Do you think people are confused when they see a Cadillac CTS and a CTS-V? Same thing here. Works for Cadillac. And Cadillac at least makes the two versions slightly different looking with grills and exterior trim.

Last edited by Black&White; 03-02-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:24 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Totally agree, Z06 is top dog Grand Sport should be in line with Stingray Z51.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do you think people are confused when they see a Cadillac CTS and a CTS-V? Same thing here. Works for Cadillac. And Cadillac at least makes the two versions slightly different looking with grills and exterior trim.
And most people don't have a clue as to the difference between the Cadillac models, ATS, ATS-V, CTS, CTS-V. Although , to those of us that are motorheads the differences are obvious.
The majority of people buying Cadillacs are buying for prestige/luxury,
those buying Corvettes are not.
When the last generation GS came out it was good looking, better looking in comparison than this generations car. It did not have the "bolted" on look of parts. The Z06/GS of the C7 generation will continue the mean look and attract a certain segment of Corvette interested people. And there are styling cues to differentiate between the two, subtle, but they are there.
So Chevrolet is making 2 basic body styles with 2 model styles each. the base and Z51 and the Z06 and GS. I guess that you could say that there are 3 in the Z06 GS style with the Z07 package.
Ergo, no confusion. At least not to motorheads.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-02-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
ea327 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Marketing 101
Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

So Chevrolet is making 2 basic body styles with 2 model styles each. the base and Z51 and the Z06 and GS. I guess that you could say that there are 3 in the Z06 GS style with the Z07 package.
Ergo, no confusion. At least not to motorheads. [/QUOTE]

That's 6 different models, that can be had as either a coupe or convertible....for a total of 12 different cars!! That's a lot of choice... Should be something for everyone.
rcooper (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Like boraxman says.... marketing. If you've followed Corvette Forum for long you'll have surely noticed a large outcry asking for a GS. You could have made the exact same car and called it a Z06-GS or anything else and it wouldn't satisfy the GS enthusiasts. It must be a Grand Sport, period, without any qualifiers. I don't care for the GS myself but I appreciate the dedicated following the model has. And GM has recognized it, as well.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

I agree.. heritage/nostalgia etc. all make for good marketing. I admit I'm surprised they even did a GS given the Z06 came out of the gate with auto, vert, and targa options vs. the C6 generation where the Z06 and ZR1 were fixed roof and manual only.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM
RCKTRYD
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I assume the GS will do quite well in sales (depending on pricing), I just wish they had a true wide body like the C6 instead of 1/2 of a wide body like the C7 Z and now GS. For me, the 'spats' just don't cut it on a valuable/special car like the Corvette! Kind of the same when it comes to cheap vinyl stripes instead of quality painted stripes, IMO. I just prefer my Z51 body over 1/2 of a wide body.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=rcooper;1591679993]

And most people don't have a clue as to the difference between the Cadillac models, ATS, ATS-V, CTS, CTS-V. Although , to those of us that are motorheads the differences are obvious.
The majority of people buying Cadillacs are buying for prestige/luxury,
those buying Corvettes are not.
When the last generation GS came out it was good looking, better looking in comparison than this generations car. It did not have the "bolted" on look of parts. The Z06/GS of the C7 generation will continue the mean look and attract a certain segment of Corvette interested people. And there are styling cues to differentiate between the two, subtle, but they are there.
Ergo, no confusion. At least not to motorheads.
You missed the CTS-Vsport ( 420 HP ) but each version has different power output ... not so for the Corvette to GS
Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

The Z06 already has too many choices.

Z06
Z07
Auto
Manual
Coupe
Convertible

and every combination of the above.

Adding an engine choice would be ridiculously confusing and a hot mess. People know it as a Corvette. It takes an enthusiast to know more than that. And for enthusiasts the Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 (sometimes ZR1) designations have been common theme over the years.

Not to mention, you can bet GM will make the GS slower than the Z06. Would have been too much to call them the same car without the same performance. NA is better than FI. But almost 200 less hp is not the same car, and thus should not be called the same name. Wouldn't make any sense. If GM could have made an NA car with similar hp, they would have to begin with.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/

I think you nailed it...there is no reason to widen the publics impression of the z06 nameplate.

The stingray is the standard corvette....the grand sport is the middle ground between the 650 hp ***** to the wall z06 and the standard car.

Personally I was fully expecting a 525 hp hopped up LT1 but I imagine the gas guzzler tax would have been incurred and that's a no no for corvette engineers as an edict from top management...

While a shame...from a consumers standpoint as we all love more hp....to beat our cheats about... I'm sure the grand sport tracks a second or so quicker than the stingray z51.....which is already dam impressive.

Zero to sixty in Geneva was quoted by GM as supposedly 3.6 seconds which is dam fast....

It's that wild torque and hp curve of the LT1 that gives this car acceleration beyond even the new ultra expensive Porsche 911S...

Comparing the 911s and the grand sport c7? It'll be an interesting comparison....

I applaud Porsches move to 500 hp and very few wings etc but rather under body aero for downforce....and lightweight....

Usually I prefer their DCT technology and would have liked to see that tech on the grand sport model (especially since the two and hp is kept at 460 I'm sure a dct could have been found to handle this power level and fit in corvette)

The rev matching manuals pretty cool ....interesting Porsche is offering a manual only in the limited edition 911R to meet consumers demand for its extra driving enjoyment without caring about improved track lap time....(that track improvement dct s offer)

Consumers like change even if they are brand loyal....

Gm would do well to add a dct to hear what corvette consumers are saying on the interweb....besides the loud "we love manuals chant "

The grand sport could have been an interesting area to see what suppliers could have offered with torque ratings of under 500 lb/ft...and charged us more for it.

Get notified of new replies

To A little confused, why not just have a Z06 model with 2 engine choices?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I wonder if there will be a gas guzzler tax on the GS with the 8 spd auto?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Marketing!!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I wonder if there will be a gas guzzler tax on the GS with the 8 spd auto?
No, it's still a LT1 car. The added aero drag will hurt the highway gas mileage, but not enough to get the GG tax.

Even the C6 GS had the same gas mileage(window sticker)results as the base C6, even though owners reported poorer gas mileage with their GS(but still way better than the ZR1, which was the only C6 with a GG tax applied).

Quick Reply: A little confused, why not just have a Z06 model with 2 engine choices?