C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on Xpel and protective film please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

So then XPEL certification doesn't mean much when shopping for an installer. I didn't realize this when I set out to get my car done and assumed the "XPEL certified installers" listed on the XPEL website were places that were certified and able to do quality installations. I hope the place I chose is indeed able to correct the multiple issues in my install and I don't have to search for another installer, XPEL certified or otherwise.

Last edited by joeybsyc; 04-11-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:40 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
So then XPEL certification doesn't mean much when shopping for an installer. I didn't realize this when I set out to get my car done and assumed the "XPEL certified installers" listed on the XPEL website were places that were certified and able to do quality installations. I hope the place I chose is indeed able to correct the multiple issues in my install and I don't have to search for another installer, XPEL certified or otherwise.
It means they've been certified and passed the installation course. We always recommend checking out where you have your installation done, as all installers aren't created equally. Some are more proficient with certain vehicles and installation quality...this can be related to nearly every profession/skill/craft. Always shop around and find someone you feel comfortable with. Again, lets see if they are able to fix your issues on your installation. Let us know how it goes tomorrow
The following users liked this post:
itshervette (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Thanks... I definitely will!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

so how do folks decide to due just the bumper and partial hood ....or full hood wrap?...i would think the bumper and 18 - 20 inches of the partial hood would be enough?...like to see folks experiences?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by KGS365
so how do folks decide to due just the bumper and partial hood ....or full hood wrap?...i would think the bumper and 18 - 20 inches of the partial hood would be enough?...like to see folks experiences?
We definitely recommend at least the full hood and front bumper/headlights. The fenders are just as important but the full hood is more important. Over time dust and dirt can collect on the "partial" line that runs across the hood, and people dont like that. It also seems without a doubt a rock chip always hits 2" above the "bra"
KGS365 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I would deff do the A pillars as well. I had the whole hood, A pillars, both fenders, bumper, mirrors and roof done. Well worth the money for the added protection.
KGS365 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ralexand
I recently had my new 2016 Z06/7 completely wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. It looks really great. The cost was $3,500 including ceramic tint. I was impressed that the Xpel kit included wrapping the carbon fiber aero parts and the PPF wrapped around and underneath the side skirts and front splitter.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get your car wrapped? I looked at a place in Pflugerville.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get your car wrapped? I looked at a place in Pflugerville.

Thanks,
Ron
We have plenty of guys near austin and round rock, click here: XPEL Texas
Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM
ralexand
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Custom FX in Pflugerville recently did my new 2016 Z07. Did a nice job. I had the entire car done in Xpel Ultimate. Then I had Austin Detailing put Opti-Coat Pro over the Xpel. Very shiny and really low maintenance. .

Last edited by ralexand; 04-12-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Originally Posted by XPEL
It means they've been certified and passed the installation course. We always recommend checking out where you have your installation done, as all installers aren't created equally. Some are more proficient with certain vehicles and installation quality...this can be related to nearly every profession/skill/craft. Always shop around and find someone you feel comfortable with. Again, lets see if they are able to fix your issues on your installation. Let us know how it goes tomorrow

Just to follow up on the issue I had with my Xpel installation. It turns out the ripples I had were in the film itself, and my installer replaced the section without hesitation. He explained the installation process to me, and gave me a better idea of what to expect. I left the car overnight and picked it up today. It looks much better, with no ripples anywhere. There are a few very minor flaws that can't be seen from a few feet away, but overall I am happy with the job they did. The installer/shop owner was very easy to work with and stressed that he wanted me to be a happy customer... which I am. I definitely believe non-metallic black is the hardest color to cover with PPF, as it shows absolutely everything. I got the front bumper and full rockers done and I'm happy with the protection it provides. I already feel more confident driving and can't wait to start putting some miles on my vette!

Last edited by joeybsyc; 04-15-2016 at 12:00 AM.
XPEL (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:45 AM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I should post a picture of "love bug damage " that happed here in Florida on my wife's G6
One look and if you'rein Florida you will get something
Did not find a expel installer in Ocala so went with 3m
So far several possible rock chips were non issues
And jest before rear on one side I could see that it saved a large chip and the 3m was damaged some.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Just to follow up on the issue I had with my Xpel installation. It turns out the ripples I had were in the film itself, and my installer replaced the section without hesitation. He explained the installation process to me, and gave me a better idea of what to expect. I left the car overnight and picked it up today. It looks much better, with no ripples anywhere. There are a few very minor flaws that can't be seen from a few feet away, but overall I am happy with the job they did. The installer/shop owner was very easy to work with and stressed that he wanted me to be a happy customer... which I am. I definitely believe non-metallic black is the hardest color to cover with PPF, as it shows absolutely everything. I got the front bumper and full rockers done and I'm happy with the protection it provides. I already feel more confident driving and can't wait to start putting some miles on my vette!
Glad to hear! Thanks for letting them fix it and we're happy the re-install came out good. Now get some miles on her!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,161 Likes on 533 Posts

We definitely recommend at least the full hood and front bumper/headlights. The fenders are just as important but the full hood is more important. Over time dust and dirt can collect on the "partial" line that runs across the hood, and people dont like that. It also seems without a doubt a rock chip always hits 2" above the "bra"
Is there anyway to remedy this? my car is Artic White and the xpel was only done 200 miles ago and after one wash the seams are already looking a little dingy, I hope I can clean it somehow.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:56 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
Is there anyway to remedy this? my car is Artic White and the xpel was only done 200 miles ago and after one wash the seams are already looking a little dingy, I hope I can clean it somehow.
Was there supposed to be a picture? We'd suggest taking it to your installer to have him take a look at it and recommend best course of action.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Which would be to peel it off and cover the whole thing. I can't believe your installer let you do that.

Last edited by Woodson; 04-15-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

My installer did a super job. I'm curious as to why some edges are wrapped, while others are only to the edge. Rear versus front of doors are a good example. Is it because of motion and panel gaps?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Just because you installer is a Xpel or 3M certified installer, don't think that guarantees you a good installation. The first Xpel installer I took my Z51 M7 to in Orlando was certified yet his install was soooo bad I could even tell it was junk.

And when I questioned min about it, I got lip in return. So I contacted the factory, sent pictures, etc. and they not only recommended 'their favorite' installer in the area but also covered a big part of having the job redone. Now that's what I call a factory warranty!!

Their 'favorite installer' did an incredible job. His shop was filled with Vettes, Porsches, McClarens and Ferraris. Imagine that.

The installer is everything when it comes down to getting this job done, allthough I can tell you the Xpel is great, is self-healing, easy to clean and has saved me from a jillion rock chips, etc.

Please PM me if you would like to know this dealer's contact information.

Cheers -
joeybsyc (04-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Educate me on Xpel and protective film please...

Old 04-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Leadrope
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased my new 2015 Z51 and left it with the dealer to have Xpel applied before I took delivery. I didn't want any chance of any chips , the Certified installer was across the street from the dealer so that worked out well. I requested a total cover but the only installer in town said they didn't have the "patterns" to do more than critical areas which was only half way up the hood. I want to find another Certified Installer to do the whole hood (as I know from reading other posts that total coverage is doable) will I have to have what is already there pulled off and a total piece installed?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of recommendations to do the whole hood. Is it one piece and do they actually make it big enough to do that?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vyper340
A lot of recommendations to do the whole hood. Is it one piece and do they actually make it big enough to do that?
Yup. Had mine done and you can't even notice. Have seen several w/ only 1/2 hood done and they look terrible...

Quick Reply: Educate me on Xpel and protective film please...