Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ClearTastic install results

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Like the others said you should have done the squeegee stuff right away. I just used a credit card and voola! Good to go. I just did the behind the rear and front wheels. I just kept working over the plastic with the credit card until the bubbles were gone. I looked at their instruction video first and then used the provided instruction sheet that was provided and followed it perfectly.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Favor -

Can you post a link to the exact kit you purchased?

Thanks man.
Dave,

I ordered several kits..... first one was a combo behind the wheels and mirror kit: #94 - CP
http://store.cleartastic.com/clc7cobewhmi.html

I also ordered the Rocker and Lower Door Kit #95 -CP
http://store.cleartastic.com/14c7strolodo.html

At the time I ordered, they had an additional special going that if you ordered those items, they also shipped you the door handle cove opening protectors at no charge. #92. Don't know if that offer is still going on.

As I stated in my first original thread, it was clearly my installation process error that resulted in less than desirable outcome. NOTHING to do with the product. I've talked with Ed and he's calling me back today hopefully working with me to replace the entire order so I can do it properly....
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default positive review

Originally Posted by Strake
Has anyone BESIDES ME had less than desirable results installing Cleartastic Protection Film?

Thanks.
I did the rocker panels (front and back) and then did a bunch of bulk roll for the front bumper. You can see the seams on the front end with close inspection, but looks better than rock chips. Applied very wet (soapy water), then soft squeegee with the credit card followed immediately by hard squeegee. Really had to work it to get the bubbles out but results are pretty good in the end.

Tried to do the mirrors but for the life of me, I could not get them to stick down. Seemed like the pattern was cut wrong. I complained to the manufacturer by email and they wanted me to send pictures, but by that time I had already chucked them.

Over a year later and everything is still stuck down. Film on the front end is taking a beating (very glad I have it). I would buy it again (but not the mirrors).

Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

Dave,

I ordered several kits..... first one was a combo behind the wheels and mirror kit: #94 - CP
http://store.cleartastic.com/clc7cobewhmi.html

I also ordered the Rocker and Lower Door Kit #95 -CP
http://store.cleartastic.com/14c7strolodo.html

At the time I ordered, they had an additional special going that if you ordered those items, they also shipped you the door handle cove opening protectors at no charge. #92. Don't know if that offer is still going on.

As I stated in my first original thread, it was clearly my installation process error that resulted in less than desirable outcome. NOTHING to do with the product. I've talked with Ed and he's calling me back today hopefully working with me to replace the entire order so I can do it properly....
Thanks man. Very much appreciate the direction. Going to take the leap!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Thanks man. Very much appreciate the direction. Going to take the leap!
Dave,

Did your Vette arrive @ Criswell yet?
Richard
Old 03-27-2016, 06:19 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Only kit I got from ClearTastic is the one for the leading area of the rear fender area just behind the doors. They were cut perfect and went on like they said they would.
You have got to follow the instructions:
you make up a spray bottle of distilled water with 3 drops of Dawn in it. Alcohol clean the body surface first. Spray the body and the back of their product really WET with the soapy solution.
Allows you to fit it for about 5 minutes real wet with no rushing. THEN using a credit card with a clean cotton rag wrapped around it start from the middle of the piece and with light pressure smooth it out. I was amazed before even starting that process of smoothing there were next to no air bubbles in it. Just take your time and smooth it out first with light pressure then a little more. You'll see a few bubbles appear but they push right out to the edge and gone.

If the front end kit is as good as this one, I would attempt it although I assume that material is considerably thicker (or should be!) and may be tougher to apply.

Gotta see what other cars they make products for.
The following 3 users liked this post by LGK-SD:
Cleartastic (03-28-2016), DestinVette (03-27-2016), joemessman (03-27-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Default Cleartastic UPDATE from OP

As the original poster on this thread, thought I would post an UPDATE to this.

I re ordered my kits after speaking with Ed @ Cleartastic who was great to work with, and took plenty of time talking through where I must have gone wrong on my original install. Easy to get ahold of, and the kind of company any of us would like to buy from.

As I stated in my first posting on this, I was clear to state it wasn't a product issue, just an installation problem I created.

I applied the first, and largest piece this afternoon and it went on perfectly, without issue. Perhaps I had a bit too much baby shampoo in my spray bottle the first time, as well as I just lightly squeegee out the bubbles, etc followed by a firm, steady final squeegee with my plastic card wrapped in a very fine microfiber cloth.

ALL GOOD I'll replace the rest tomorrow.

Last edited by Strake; 03-29-2016 at 06:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Strake:
Cleartastic (04-05-2016), dvilin (05-22-2017), joemessman (03-30-2016), rmorin1249 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

As the original poster on this thread, thought I would post an UPDATE to this.

I re ordered my kits after speaking with Ed @ Cleartastic who was great to work with, and took plenty of time talking through where I must have gone wrong on my original install. Easy to get ahold of, and the kind of company any of us would like to buy from.

As I stated in my first posting on this, I was clear to state it wasn't a product issue, just an installation problem I created.

I applied the first, and largest piece this afternoon and it went on perfectly, without issue. Perhaps I had a bit too much baby shampoo in my spray bottle the first time, as well as I just lightly squeegee out the bubbles, etc followed by a firm, steady final squeegee with my plastic card wrapped in a very fine microfiber cloth.

ALL GOOD I'll replace the rest tomorrow.
I'm just down the road in Hagerstown. I'll bring my C7 up so you can do mine since you will be experienced.

Seriously, I am going to try and install my XPel sill plate pieces this week and this will be my first attempt with anything other than headlight protection. Not looking forward to it.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:54 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

one final tip...any bubbles that are too stubborn to get out, just poke a hole in it with a pin followed by a 'hard' smoothing....
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have been waiting for the temperature to hover over 65. Per instructions.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemessman
I have been waiting for the temperature to hover over 65. Per instructions.
Yep...... got to about 65 here yesterday, but did it in the garage late afternoon with a heavy duty double shop light that create plenty of heat by itself.

I also took care of some of the other pieces by doing the pin ***** into a couple of bubbles from my ORIGINAL install and it seemed to take care of them fine. I will still be replacing several other pieces this afternoon. The mirrors were kind of tricky as it's all curved surfaces. One turned out pretty good, the other needs to be replaced...... Again, from my original install attempt.

This time, I've got it down
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep...... got to about 65 here yesterday, but did it in the garage late afternoon with a heavy duty double shop light that create plenty of heat by itself.

I also took care of some of the other pieces by doing the pin ***** into a couple of bubbles from my ORIGINAL install and it seemed to take care of them fine. I will still be replacing several other pieces this afternoon. The mirrors were kind of tricky as it's all curved surfaces. One turned out pretty good, the other needs to be replaced...... Again, from my original install attempt.

This time, I've got it down
How is your Cleartastic holding up after 1 year?
ron landgraf (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Well, the car was bought back by GM Engineering for the dreaded WARBLE noise, so since Nov 1 I haven't owned the car. Up until that point, the Cleartastic was still like brand new.

I've since put some more Cleartastic on our new GS 2017 ( no warble noise) and it looks like new also.

Last edited by Strake; 05-22-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:20 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, the car was bought back by GM Engineering for the dreaded WARBLE noise, so since Nov 1 I haven't owned the car. Up until that point, the Cleartastic was still like brand new.

I've since put some more Cleartastic on our new GS 2017 and it looks like new also.
Sorry to hear your woe on the first C7. I will pick up a GS too in 2 weeks. Where do you put your Cleartastic? I have read other comments that Rocker Panel is not needed because of the 3/4 skirt.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

door handle inserts, and mirrors is all (for now).

I have FULL length skirts as well as extended front splash guards which greatly reduce stuff coming up the sides. I was initially going to get the pieces in front of the rear wheels at the air vent, but with the skirts and front splash guards, haven't felt the need.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I did my headlights that was enough of a learning lesson. I'll just get my front bumper repainted in 3 years. Not worth the cost + aggravation.
archfarseer (08-30-2018)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

door handle inserts, and mirrors is all (for now).

I have FULL length skirts as well as extended front splash guards which greatly reduce stuff coming up the sides. I was initially going to get the pieces in front of the rear wheels at the air vent, but with the skirts and front splash guards, haven't felt the need.
Those areas are still vulnerable.

Pictures curtesy of member Chasboland

Last edited by Cleartastic; 05-22-2017 at 04:10 PM.
archfarseer (08-30-2018)

Quick Reply: ClearTastic install results