ClearTastic install results

Old 03-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default ClearTastic install results

***** UPDATE ******

I have deleted my original comments as some folks are still thinking I had an issue with the Cleartastic product, which is NOT the case. It was user error on how I installed it. There was not an issue with the product. I have since replaced those pieces without any issues. Great product, and the folks who manufacture it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Strake; 05-22-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: removed original comments.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:39 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I tried the earlier version of this product on my C5 with the same results and ended up throwing it all out. Very displeased. Supposedly it's been reformulated/improved since but I personally prefer the 3M or other protection products that are of a more permanent nature. Those are almost undetectable when installed correctly and I'm not thinking the Cleartastic would ever look that good.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sticky stuff larger than tape + me = fail. You're brave for even attempting it. Xpel makes a kit too, I did have luck with their door sill kit, maybe their product is more forgiving.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Sticky stuff larger than tape + me = fail. You're brave for even attempting it. Xpel makes a kit too, I did have luck with their door sill kit, maybe their product is more forgiving.
Hi Tom, TOO FUNNY....... yea, thought I would give it a go as I'm detail oriented and figured I could so small pieces.... although it is larger than "tape"

Hopefully tomorrow it will look better.... Just thought I would try this rather than go the much more expensive XPel route which we did on our last '13 427 Vette. I get it for doing highly complex pieces like the front bumper, etc, but these just didn't look that involved.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:38 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

They make a Rocker panel kit that gets one star on their difficulty rating, it's probably really similar to the Cleartastic Kit. I dunno how much money you want converted into wadded up sticky plastic ***** though. If you do try it, report back.

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection...tingray/Coupe/
Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
They make a Rocker panel kit that gets one star on their difficulty rating, it's probably really similar to the Cleartastic Kit. I dunno how much money you want converted into wadded up sticky plastic ***** though. If you do try it, report back.

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection...tingray/Coupe/
The Cleartastic kit for the rocker panels is much less expensive and less complex. Here's a pic. Can't believe after several tries, I trashed it. It was also the first piece I put on.... or attempted to. All the other kit pieces I bought went on, just not pleased with the results.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Are you applying with a wet or dry technique?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Thank you for the review... I had asked about this product before and never got a straight answer from anyone who'd actually attempted to install it.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 AM
addybuddy
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have cleartastic on my vette. easy diy for me and works well. I have the behind the wheels one and door handles. minor bubble in the door handle ones but not noticeable and can absolutely live with it.
The following users liked this post:
Cleartastic (03-14-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Glen e
Are you applying with a wet or dry technique?
WET,,,,,, per the manufacturers instructions. I just looked at it now that it's morning and been 15 hours since install. Still looks poor. I'll try to re squeegee out more water and bubbles and see if it helps.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
WET,,,,,, per the manufacturers instructions. I just looked at it now that it's morning and been 15 hours since install. Still looks poor. I'll try to re squeegee out more water and bubbles and see if it helps.
What are you using for a squeegee? I used a credit card on a friends and all worked well. I just kept at it looking from different angles and light reflections until all bubble were gone. It was several months ago and it looks great and no chipping, etc. from stones.
ron landgraf (05-22-2017)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

IMO, some products may be better than others, but installing it is the hard part trying to get perfect results, ... takes lots of practice.
I did my C6 when I had it and it was no way perfect no matter how much I tried.
It did the job it was meant for and looked better as time when on, but was never really acceptable by any means.
Only thing I ever had any luck with was real small pieces like the side mirror posts and the indents in the rear fender where your hand/fingers go to open the door.
When it came time for my C7, I let the Professionals do it and it's totally perfect.
Went with the Xpel Ultimate
Just my 2 cents
Strake (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemessman
What are you using for a squeegee? I used a credit card on a friends and all worked well. I just kept at it looking from different angles and light reflections until all bubble were gone. It was several months ago and it looks great and no chipping, etc. from stones.
I used a drying towel for "soft squeegee " followed up with a Window film plastic squeegee wrapped in a eyeglass microfiber thin fabric.

I think the issue I experienced was that I waited to do the HARD squeegee process till this morning. Last night upon installation, it was MUCH too fluid and moving all over the place. So I only did a soft squeegee process and now today did the HARD or FIRM Squeegee process....... perhaps I waited TOO long.

Looks better than last night, but not great. It's about a 90% rating...... I'm one who's always seeking 99.999 %.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey Strake -

The hard squeegee should have been done right after application. You hard squeegee one end to prevent it from moving around and slowly work all the water out from the other areas.

Not sure what the mfg recommended but I've done little spots successfully on a bunch of my other cars.

I may give mine a go at some point as well. I like the kit you used -
Old 03-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DBLXX
Hey Strake -

The hard squeegee should have been done right after application. You hard squeegee one end to prevent it from moving around and slowly work all the water out from the other areas.

Not sure what the mfg recommended but I've done little spots successfully on a bunch of my other cars.

I may give mine a go at some point as well. I like the kit you used -
I actually bought and used several of their kits....

behind the front and rear wheels,
mirrors
door opening coves
rocker panel and lower doors kit

hopefully it will continue to look better and I'll continue to try and "work it"/
Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 AM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

I used a drying towel for "soft squeegee " followed up with a Window film plastic squeegee wrapped in a eyeglass microfiber thin fabric.

I think the issue I experienced was that I waited to do the HARD squeegee process till this morning. Last night upon installation, it was MUCH too fluid and moving all over the place. So I only did a soft squeegee process and now today did the HARD or FIRM Squeegee process....... perhaps I waited TOO long.

Looks better than last night, but not great. It's about a 90% rating...... I'm one who's always seeking 99.999 %.
BINGO. Not doing the final "HARD Squeegee" right away is your problem.

The instructions do clearly state to do a "soft squeegee" which helps simply hold the piece in place. Then once you like the placement of the piece you are to do a "hard squeegee" which will push all of the water, air bubbles & wrinkles out.
By not doing the final hard squeegee, you're leaving all of the wrinkles, air bubbles, and water trapped under the film which of course will dry like that.

Why did you wait till the next day?

Last edited by Cleartastic; 03-14-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cleartastic
BINGO. Not doing the final "HARD Squeegee" right away is your problem.

The instructions do clearly state to do a "soft squeegee" which helps simply hold the piece in place. Then once you like the placement of the piece you are to do a "hard squeegee" which will push all of the water, air bubbles & wrinkles out.
By not doing the final hard squeegee, you're leaving all of the wrinkles, air bubbles, and water trapped under the film which of course will dry like that.

Why did you wait till the next day?
I waited for the final HARD Squeegee as doing it sooner just kept pulling the material all over the place. Lesson learned....

I'm going to call you shortly ..... at a minimum I need to get another driver side rocker panel piece..... I may want to repeat my ENTIRE Order.
Richard

Get notified of new replies

To ClearTastic install results

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It is all in the technique and following the instructions as written. Ed at TKO is a great guy and is usually available to guide you through any issues during business hours.
I have installed 3 C6 kits and 2 C7 kits with excellent results. I am awaiting his new Z06 kit for my Z. The key is patience, clean work environment and you can do this successfully. BTW, never did anything like this before my 1st C6 kit.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM
DBLXX
Pro

I waited for the final HARD Squeegee as doing it sooner just kept pulling the material all over the place. Lesson learned....

I'm going to call you shortly ..... at a minimum I need to get another driver side rocker panel piece..... I may want to repeat my ENTIRE Order.
Richard
We are 2 peas in a pod.

I think I'm going to order the rocker kit myself.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 AM
DBLXX
Pro

Favor -

Can you post a link to the exact kit you purchased?

Thanks man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ClearTastic install results