Sponsored by:

Driving Gloves

Old 03-18-2016, 07:35 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Driving gloves? Really?
Those are hand coverings that people sometimes used before steering wheels themselves were covered in leather.

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-18-2016 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Achmed (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I like driving gloves sometimes. I had a great pair of Harley gloves, fingerless and very sort palms, barely reaching my wrist. Lost one when a cop (yeah, a cop) ran over me while riding my Harley. I haven't found another pair like them. I want to protect the leather on the wheel. My C4's steering wheel has cracked leather all around it. I had to add a cover for it.
Yeah, I know leather today is different than leather used in 1989 but why take a chance that this leather will withstand years of sweat and skin oil better.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:11 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

When Zora was driving cars had skinny, slick steering wheels.
Woodson (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Old 03-18-2016, 08:39 AM
MostlyHarmless
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Stand21 Carrera outside seams

But ONLY on the track

http://www.stand21na.com/products.r-...ams.f-240.html

Mark
Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM
ladiver
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My hands sweat quite a bit. I was looking for driving gloves and ended up getting equestrian gloves. Made perfect sense to me, as they are designed to let leather reins slide easily in the had, but grip when needed. I just leave them on the center console and put them on every time I get in the car.

I also ran with them on at Spring Mountain. Worked fine with suede wheel too.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

This is one of the reasons I love the suede package. I find leather wheels to get slippery. With the suede there is no need for gloves
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I like driving gloves sometimes. I had a great pair of Harley gloves, fingerless and very sort palms, barely reaching my wrist. Lost one when a cop (yeah, a cop) ran over me while riding my Harley. I haven't found another pair like them. I want to protect the leather on the wheel. My C4's steering wheel has cracked leather all around it. I had to add a cover for it.
Yeah, I know leather today is different than leather used in 1989 but why take a chance that this leather will withstand years of sweat and skin oil better.
Actually, they aren't that different. There are people out there who sweat high levels of acid and it will turn a nice leather steering wheel into a gummy bear within 2-3 years of ownership.

Oily sweat will also turn that steering wheel into a shiny mess (though I found a fix for that one with a magic eraser).
Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Whatever you do make sure the gloves match your ascot.
fugly1 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Driving gloves look perfectly natural.

Just look at this guy :

Just make sure to pack your **** lube when wearing them

Last edited by TennisFreak; 03-18-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by ladiver
My hands sweat quite a bit. I was looking for driving gloves and ended up getting equestrian gloves. Made perfect sense to me, as they are designed to let leather reins slide easily in the had, but grip when needed. I just leave them on the center console and put them on every time I get in the car.

I also ran with them on at Spring Mountain. Worked fine with suede wheel too.
I think that suede is going to look horrible before long if you sweat that much just driving around. I think leather would stay looking better for longer.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I think $200 at Chevy Mall?
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Believe it or not.. back before cars got wussified technology like power steering, it took quite alot of physical effort to steer the car.

Driving gloves provided increased mechanical grip on the wheel, allowing more leverage and control.

Today, of course, you can steer a car with a finger, so "driving gloves" are an affectation, at best.

Racing series require fire-proof racing suits (including gloves), so if you are racing, you are still required to use them.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Fastoldguy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea Back Before Cars Were Wussified... Well, I have one of those cars. No Power Steering, No Power Brakes, No AC and No Wussy RADIO so I do keep a pair of driving gloves in it. Makes a big difference driving it.

In the C7, NO DRIVING GLOVES.

No It's Not a VW!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fastoldguy
Yea Back Before Cars Were Wussified... Well, I have one of those cars. No Power Steering, No Power Brakes, No AC and No Wussy RADIO so I do keep a pair of driving gloves in it. Makes a big difference driving it.

In the C7, NO DRIVING GLOVES.

No It's Not a VW!

This is the exception to the rule. Today wearing driving gloves in a modern car is simply an affectation. In which case which driving gloves you wear is a matter of taste. Or some would say a lack thereof. Get an old Morgan or any Cobra with a skinny wooden wheel and no power nuttin and the gloves will look great. Otherwise be prepared to be hit on by men.
Fastoldguy (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Believe it or not.. back before cars got wussified technology like power steering, it took quite alot of physical effort to steer the car.

Driving gloves provided increased mechanical grip on the wheel, allowing more leverage and control.

Today, of course, you can steer a car with a finger, so "driving gloves" are an affectation, at best.

Racing series require fire-proof racing suits (including gloves), so if you are racing, you are still required to use them.
Correct, and I might add, racing steering wheels get very hot, and your hands will get blisters from the heat and friction without protection. I have worn holes in brand new Simpson racing gloves in one race.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Gloves

Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
mart86vette
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 5 Reasons Why You Should Wear Driving Gloves

1) Better Grip and Control. At higher speeds, driving gloves help you exercise control over the steering wheel.
2) Reduces Hand Fatigue. If you’re like most Americans, taking a trip to the mall or driving your kids to soccer practice won’t tire your hands out.
3) Preserves Your Steering Wheel. Who wants to drive a beautiful car with a steering wheel that's falling apart?
4) Comfort in Extreme Weather
Whether you’re driving in the sweltering heat or biting cold, driving gloves help keep you comfortable behind the wheel.
5) Looking Awesome. Driving gloves carry a certain type of old school charm - it’s undeniable.

Points to Take Home
Let’s quickly review the main points discussed about driving gloves. 5 reasons to wear driving gloves below:

Greater Control. The tack of a leather glove offers superior grip and control over the wheel. They’re especially useful when driving on the highway.
Reduces Hand Fatigue.
Driving gloves reduce the vibrations from your wheel that tire the hand when driving for long periods of time.
Preserves Your Wheel. Oils and sweat from your hands can break down leather and wood steering wheels. Driving gloves act as a barrier.
Comfort in Extreme Weather. In the cold, driving gloves keep your hands nice and toasty. In the heat, they help keep your hands at a mild temperature.
Style. Plain and simple, driving gloves look cool. ‘Nuff said.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mart86vette
1) Better Grip and Control. At higher speeds, driving gloves help you exercise control over the steering wheel.
2) Reduces Hand Fatigue. If you’re like most Americans, taking a trip to the mall or driving your kids to soccer practice won’t tire your hands out.
3) Preserves Your Steering Wheel. Who wants to drive a beautiful car with a steering wheel that's falling apart?
Whether you’re driving in the sweltering heat or biting cold, driving gloves help keep you comfortable behind the wheel.
5) Looking Awesome. Driving gloves carry a certain type of old school charm - it’s undeniable.

Points to Take Home
Let’s quickly review the main points discussed about driving gloves. 5 reasons to wear driving gloves below:

Greater Control. The tack of a leather glove offers superior grip and control over the wheel. They’re especially useful when driving on the highway.
Reduces Hand Fatigue.
Driving gloves reduce the vibrations from your wheel that tire the hand when driving for long periods of time.
Preserves Your Wheel. Oils and sweat from your hands can break down leather and wood steering wheels. Driving gloves act as a barrier.
Comfort in Extreme Weather. In the cold, driving gloves keep your hands nice and toasty. In the heat, they help keep your hands at a mild temperature.

Wow!! A comprehensive and factual look at the advantage's of wearing driving gloves.:ro fl:
Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mart86vette

Points to Take Home

Reduces Hand Fatigue.
You forgot one:

6) They match your skirt.

No, they most certainly do NOT make you look cool. 'Nuff said.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
WKMCD (03-19-2016), Woodson (03-19-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving Gloves