Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 shocks vs AFE shocks for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:51 PM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z51 shocks vs AFE shocks for C7?

I understand that the C7 z51 shocks are $349.99 plus shipping for the four shocks, Bilsteins. Now I see that there are AFE shocks for more than double the price that are what I understand are basically revalved, welded Bilsteins. Now the question I have is are the AFE Shocks worth the premium over the z51s? I have a 2015 A8 base non z51 with the z51 front and rear sway bars on it. I am contemplating maybe going for the z51 shocks, not sure about AFE shocks being $850.00. Car is mostly daily driver with 1-2x a year hpde. I want to get to keep up with the Porsches, M3s. Ger.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:29 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think that for what you are going to use the car for, it would behoove you to stay with the Z51 shocks. I have not seen any posts or info on the AFE product, but can't imagine that it is worth $500 more.
GM did a lot of research to develop the Z51 car and I would guess that the Bilsteins that were developed for the car are quite good, most of the Z51 owners that I know find them to be very good.
Also, a better chance of keeping warranty...if that matters to you.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I understand that the C7 z51 shocks are $349.99 plus shipping for the four shocks, Bilsteins. Now I see that there are AFE shocks for more than double the price that are what I understand are basically revalved, welded Bilsteins. Now the question I have is are the AFE Shocks worth the premium over the z51s? I have a 2015 A8 base non z51 with the z51 front and rear sway bars on it. I am contemplating maybe going for the z51 shocks, not sure about AFE shocks being $850.00. Car is mostly daily driver with 1-2x a year hpde. I want to get to keep up with the Porsches, M3s. Ger.
Sounds like you're trying to "keep up" with them on the autobahn! If you have not changed shocks, the base car has 36 mm and the Z51 shocks are 45 mm. However shocks are tuned to the springs and you have softer springs than the Z51.
Bilstein sells adjustable shocks, although a quick check didn't fine those that fit the C7 but a recent press release said they are new.
For flat out driving on the autobahn would think you want a stiff setting. However may find that is too stiff for normal driving.
My experience with adjustable shocks is on the coilovers on my street rod! At high speed it's definitely more stable set at max stiffness. However for normal driving it rattles your teeth at that setting. Even at the soft setting, would not call the ride soft!
Might email LG Motorsports who race Vettes. They sell coilovers with custom tuned Bilsteins. FWIW
Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

I have z51 on the abahn. It handles fine. If u want upgrade, go with coil overs.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Save your money or donate it to a charity.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:44 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

If I were going to spend a premium amount of money on shocks I would want something that is at least single adjustable and preferably double adjustable. I lot of people like Koni Sports.

Or, you could go for something that is rebuildable, like Penskes, and if you keep your car long enough you might end up saving some money: people seldom replace their shocks as often as they should.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I have been considering the same thing. Marvin at AFE told me this:

"The aFe CONTROL JOC shocks were built around the racers Johnny O'Connell's specifications as far as dampening and valving is concerned, along with using OEM quality seals, shock body and pistons. aFe aquired PFADT and addressed many of the concerns and issues others had with quality. We certainly don't want to put our name on something, that is no good or fails. So we have address the quality issues in the past.

Now the Z51 shocks will handle better than the base C7 shocks, but if you are looking for comfort, while maintaining a flatter cornering ability the JOC shocks will meet your requirements. The base shocks are very soft in low speeds, tending to be mushy and unrefined, while you drive on higher speeds and hit bumps that are bigger they really tend to be harsh. The Z51 shocks are a level better over the base C7 shocks, but still hold the same characteristics as the base shocks.

We adjusted the dampening to be soft, yet precise in low speeds. While we removed the harsh ride during higher speed bumps. We are confident you will feel the improvement over your current setup."
Old 03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Are you racing the car?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

what about the sway bars ? Z51 are bigger and have a rear..... and this is a relatively cheap way to start...
I would first start with the sway bars and then move to the Z51 shocks.
The AFE sound good but if your not racing... why bother with the added expense.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 shocks vs AFE shocks for C7?

Quick Reply: Z51 shocks vs AFE shocks for C7?