Sponsored by:

Courtesy Order Questions - MacMulkin

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Courtesy Order Questions - MacMulkin

Hi all, for those who have experience with doing a courtesy delivery with MacMulkin or Kerbeck on the forum, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do they request a REFUNDABLE or NON REFUNDABLE deposit from you at time of order?
2) How much was the deposit/is there a limit?
3) Do you have to pay them BEFORE seeing the car in person/taking delivery of the car at your local dealership?
4) Is there a limit to how much they will allow you to put on your credit card? I was planning to dump maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the total cost on my credit card and finance the rest. This is another $200-$300 on my end in savings from the points.
5) Anything else I may have missed?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited by Bui; 03-22-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Bui,
Might want to include Criswell in the mix too!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

MacMulkin
1) Nonrefundable
2)2K, why would they limit how much?
3)Yes
4)You think they want to pay 2-3% on 35k, no way. Maybe let you do $2500
5) Just order it already
Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Bui,
Might want to include Criswell in the mix too!
They won't match them on ordered vettes.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Bui
Pro

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
MacMulkin
1) Nonrefundable
2)2K, why would they limit how much?
3)Yes
4)You think they want to pay 2-3% on 35k, no way. Maybe let you do $2500
5) Just order it already
@#2 I was trying to see if they would allow me to put in a bigger deposit if I used my credit card (again to get those points).

@#4 Haha, I know a lot of dealerships (Nissan/Honda/Mercedes) has a $9,999.99 cap on credit cards. Checking to see if one of these guys had it too.

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
They won't match them on ordered vettes.
Yea... Sadly they couldn't. Mike's a good guy and all, but the best he could do on a custom order was around 8% off MSRP. Which, while still better than invoice (7.5%), was not anywhere close to the 9-12% that MacMulkin and Kerbeck are able to offer.

That being said, I would still love to take delivery of the car from him throughcourtesy delivery; if he is okay with that

Last edited by Bui; 03-22-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 AM
pwj155
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

this may have changed since i ordered mine from les stanford, but it was $1000 fully refundable deposit anytime. call dennis tap to clarify any questions you may have.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Bui
Pro

Originally Posted by pwj155
this may have changed since i ordered mine from les stanford, but it was $1000 fully refundable deposit anytime. call dennis tap to clarify any questions you may have.
Just gave him a call, very nice guy. For anyone who is curious: He said he doesn't know what the prices on 2017s are looking like yet, but he can use his wife's GM Supplier code to discount on the initial purchase price of the car and "we can start negotiations from there."

Last edited by Bui; 03-22-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I ordered a stingray through macmulkin, which was built 2 weeks ago and is in transit to my courtesy dealer. I concur with all of the above except #3. I'm sure you can pay after you check out the car, but then you have to wait for macmulkin to get their money before you take the car home. I started a thread on this recently:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sy-dealer.html
Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Did not do a courtesy delivery, but ordered directly from Kerbeck. They required a $5k non-refundable deposit.
The following users liked this post:
kaufmansm (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:42 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Hi all, for those who have experience with doing a courtesy delivery with MacMulkin or Kerbeck on the forum, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do they request a REFUNDABLE or NON REFUNDABLE deposit from you at time of order?
2) How much was the deposit/is there a limit?
3) Do you have to pay them BEFORE seeing the car in person/taking delivery of the car at your local dealership?
4) Is there a limit to how much they will allow you to put on your credit card? I was planning to dump maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the total cost on my credit card and finance the rest. This is another $200-$300 on my end in savings from the points.
5) Anything else I may have missed?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Do yourself a favor, check out Van Bortel Chevy. They are the real deal, and excellent to work with.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

When I special ordered through Kerbeck, it was a $2k deposit.....non refundable, if I recall the fine print. They ask me for $5k but I reminded them, I've bought 4 from them already...... $2k it was

On a previous Vette from Kerbeck, they would NOT accept a credit card for any amount, including just to HOLD a car for me till I could get there the next day.

If I was in your position, I would just call them (including Mike Furman @ Criswell) as ask them directly.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Strake
When I special ordered through Kerbeck, it was a $2k deposit.....non refundable, if I recall the fine print. They ask me for $5k but I reminded them, I've bought 4 from them already...... $2k it was

On a previous Vette from Kerbeck, they would NOT accept a credit card for any amount, including just to HOLD a car for me till I could get there the next day.

If I was in your position, I would just call them (including Mike Furman @ Criswell) as ask them directly.
4x and they wanted 5K, won't accept cc, even to hold, see ya!
Call Furman, did that, no chance.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

I can answer for my order (to be built in 2 weeks) from Rick Conti @ Coughlin. I believe he's currently the 4th largest Corvette dealer in US

1. nonrefundable
2. $2k
3. pay before picking up
4. no credit card accepted
5. got a very reasonable price on a new Z06. I'm ok with some minor inconvenience in order to achieve the best price. Since the dealer has to pay a % to the credit card company for every $ on the CC, they likely will offer a slightly worse deal than if check / wire transfer. I'd charge the whole car to my CC if allowed, but no dealer would ok such a thing unless they are charging you a sky-high price.

Last edited by xwing; 03-22-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

MacMulkin

1) NON REFUNDABLE deposit once the order is officially accepted by GM (Bowling Green Factory)
2) $2000 deposit
3) I did NOT have to pay them before seeing and inspecting the car. Had to pay for it before driving it home.
4) No I idea, I paid cash.

Loved buying from MacMulkin and I would not hesitate to buy another car from them. They kept me in the loop throughout the entire process, from the time I placed my order through the courtesy delivery. I never had to call them, they either called me to send emails with updates.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
tr6drvr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
Just gave him a call, very nice guy. For anyone who is curious: He said he doesn't know what the prices on 2017s are looking like yet, but he can use his wife's GM Supplier code to discount on the initial purchase price of the car and "we can start negotiations from there."

You better check explicitly with him on discounts. MacMulkin will go up to 8% for custom ordered cars when I was working with them. Options like C7.R often less. 12% is generally for in-stock cars during slow months (what I got on my in-stock Z51). Also, Supplier code discount is only 2-3% by my recollection. Not the same as employee discount of 12%. My guess is you won't be seeing 8% on Grand Sport for a while. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:11 PM
tr6drvr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched as two cars were being inspected at MacMulkin for transport to courtesy dealers. The transit guy was going over them very carefully, taking pictures, filling out forms etc. Those cars, like mine that was being delivered to me at that time, were in meticulous condition, just like mine was. One of them was a black on black on black C7.R with yellow brakes and rim edges. That car was to die for and it was being shipped as well. Frankly with MacMulkin you don't really have to fly there to inspect. You can get your Monroney to make sure all the options are there.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Spice red Ed
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tr6drvr
I watched as two cars were being inspected at MacMulkin for transport to courtesy dealers. The transit guy was going over them very carefully, taking pictures, filling out forms etc. Those cars, like mine that was being delivered to me at that time, were in meticulous condition, just like mine was. One of them was a black on black on black C7.R with yellow brakes and rim edges. That car was to die for and it was being shipped as well. Frankly with MacMulkin you don't really have to fly there to inspect. You can get your Monroney to make sure all the options are there.
Cars do not get inspected at MacMulkin, courtesy delivers go to the courtesy dealer directly from the factory.
Now to answer BUI's questions. They require a $2000 refundable deposit. Before your order goes out you get an email with the order to review, once you review and approve the order your deposit is no longer refundable and the order is sent to GM. You do not have to pay when the car arrives but until you pay, the car will stay at the courtesy dealer until they get the paperwork from MacMulkin that the car was paid in full. I just went through the process and believe me MacMulkin will keep you informed with many email updates. My best advice is to call any of the salesmen and they will explain the procedure and follow it up with an email. Remember no documentation or add-on fees at MacMulkin. Ask that of the other dealers and see what they charge.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy Order Questions - MacMulkin

Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I ordered my Z06 from MacMulkin and I am picking it up this week at the museum in Bowling Green.

MacMulkin was great to work with and when I ordered the discount was 9% on ordered vehicles. I used another $3K in GM card points and MacMulkin expedited my paperwork allowing me to get in on the $1K conquest rebate also.

When I ordered they had the best discount and have been great throughout the entire process. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Ordered mine through Mac last spring.

1) $2000 Deposit that becomes non refundable once the order goes past 1100.

2) $2k good enough. Worry about payment once the car exists.

3) You don't have to pay them up front but your car will be sitting at the courtesy dealer for a couple days while you sort out payment and get the MSO overnighted back to you. I owned mine about 10 days before I laid eyes on it. Also put insurance on it at that time just in case. All went really well for me, but I'll admit it's a leap of faith with that kinda money disappearing out of your bank account...

4) Mac doesn't take plastic on Vette orders.

5) You will have a courtesy dealer fee. Typically $200-$500. Mine was $200. They asked for $0 when I got there and "just keep us in mind for your next purchase". They got $240 cash because my car had 2 miles on it and was unmolested. If you have GM miles, be sure to mention that at the time of payment. Before you commit to the order, look very carefully at your options on the worksheet. You don't wanna find out they missed something when you're staring at your new car. In my case they almost missed the gray interior I wanted. No biggie...
Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSC5
I ordered my Z06 from MacMulkin and I am picking it up this week at the museum in Bowling Green.

MacMulkin was great to work with and when I ordered the discount was 9% on ordered vehicles. I used another $3K in GM card points and MacMulkin expedited my paperwork allowing me to get in on the $1K conquest rebate also.

When I ordered they had the best discount and have been great throughout the entire process. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Hmm, I wonder how they managed to give you the conquest rebate then. I thought that was only on in stock vehicles not ordered. I had my deposit in for 3 weeks as I had to wait for them to get allocation to order my Z51 package. The conquest rebate was in effect the full three weeks. Even so, I thought they had to have a vin# to apply the rebate too in order apply that discount, so for yours the couldn't have. When they were finally able to fill my order the rebate had ended the day before. Looks like they didn't do all they could have for me.

Quick Reply: Courtesy Order Questions - MacMulkin