Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you polish the Vinyl Stinger

Old 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Can you polish the Vinyl Stinger

This may be a dumb question as I'm about to do a full detail on my C7, but I was hoping some of the detail guys here can help. I have the factory vinyl stinger on the hood, and I was wondering if using a polish on the stinger would damage it in any way? The stinger itself has some swirl marks most likely from the dealer and I wanted to polish them out, but the stinger to my understanding is a vinyl overlay so not sure if it would even get the swirl marks out. Does the stinger have clear coat on it by any chance ? Thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I was told when I asked the day I took delivery to treat the stinger as I would the rest of the finish. I have waxed it with no ill effects a few times so far.
As for having clear coat over it that I am not sure of.
The following users liked this post:
Playboy2 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

No clear coat. It is applied after coming off of the line.
Playboy2 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

You can polish it with a fine finishing polish and a soft pad, on an orbital at slow speed, then seal or coat.
Playboy2 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I got my stinger from Phoenix Graphix, and here's what they say in their FAQ section:

Can I wax my decals?
No. Always wax around your vinyl graphics. Wax can degrade the finish of the graphics over time.

Is there a product I can use to help maintain the fresh, new look of my graphics?
Yes! Our SLIDE-OVER® UV Protectant restores luster, repels dust, dirt, grime and acts as a UV barrier against the sun's harmful rays.

I got an installation kit from them when I got the stinger, and it had a bottle of Pre-App stuff to clean the hood prior to installing, a bottle of their Slide-On Application Gel (which is a stuff sorta like soapy water that most people mix up and use to slide the stinger around to position it), and a bottle of their Slide-Over UV Protectant that they say should be used instead of wax.

Below is a picture of the back side of the application instructions, and down at the bottom it discusses care of the vinyl stinger:

Bottom line - I would assume the OE stinger is a vinyl similar to the aftermarket one I got, and the care of it should be the same.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
You can polish it with a fine finishing polish and a soft pad, on an orbital at slow speed, then seal or coat.
Thanks Glen. Polished it and then sealed with Black fire crystal seal. No issues the whole car came out great. By the way thanks for all the info you post out here in the forum. I followed your process of washing with dawn, then cleaning with nano skin mit followed by polish, and finishing it off with the sealer. It was raining outside so couldn't get any pictures.
Glen e (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Plexus or chemical guys clear bra cleaner/sealer works great
Playboy2 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have not polished murine with a powered polisher but have used the same sealer as I use on the car with no problems.
Playboy2 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Playboy2
Thanks Glen. Polished it and then sealed with Black fire crystal seal. No issues the whole car came out great. By the way thanks for all the info you post out here in the forum. I followed your process of washing with dawn, then cleaning with nano skin mit followed by polish, and finishing it off with the sealer. It was raining outside so couldn't get any pictures.
thanks..it's just simple common sense using the latest technology...too many want to remain locked in the past using outdated technology and tools. Detailing products are changing every day to become easier, and more durable. It's a moving target. When I find a better way that the current method, I'll drop this and move to what is even easier!...

Get notified of new replies

To Can you polish the Vinyl Stinger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you polish the Vinyl Stinger