Sponsored by:

Installation Instructions for Side Skirts by C7Carbon--Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 PM
DestinVette
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Installation Instructions for Side Skirts by C7Carbon--Help Needed

Does anyone have instructions for installation of "C7 Corvette | Z06/Z07 OEM style Side skirt set | Carbon Fiber ?

I have a 2016 Z-51 (with OEM splash guards installed).

I received them with no instructions included. Several calls to the company resulted in confusing responses to my simple request for installations instructions--including installation instructions for C6 side skirts.

My side skirts look like this:
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

They are pre drilled to match the existing bolts on your car now. You can also use a strip of 3M double sided tape down the middle section for more stability. I did not drill extra holes for rivets as others have and feel that it is very secure. Mine have been on for over 2 years with no problems.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:08 PM
DestinVette
Instructor

Default Installation Instructions foe Side Skirts by C7 Carbon--Help

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
They are pre drilled to match the existing bolts on your car now. You can also use a strip of 3M double sided tape down the middle section for more stability. I did not drill extra holes for rivets as others have and feel that it is very secure. Mine have been on for over 2 years with no problems.
Thank you. May I get a clarification? You are talking about using the existing two pre-drilled holes on the front flat area going into the OEM bolts currently on the car behind the front wheel well, correct? Then using 3M two-sided tape to secure the remainder of the skirt to the angled rocker panel, correct?

I was wary of a tape solution because there is no place to attach the skirt to an OEM bolt at the rear end of the skirt, correct?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DestinVette
Thank you. May I get a clarification? You are talking about using the existing two pre-drilled holes on the front flat area going into the OEM bolts currently on the car behind the front wheel well, correct? Then using 3M two-sided tape to secure the remainder of the skirt to the angled rocker panel, correct?

I was wary of a tape solution because there is no place to attach the skirt to an OEM bolt at the rear end of the skirt, correct?
Sorry, I just looked at your pic and re read your post. My side skirts were the exposed carbon fiber GTX that had, if I remember correctly 5 pre drilled holes. Reading your post, did they send you a set for a C6 instead of the C7 that you have? I am lost as to how the ones in the pic would be secure on a C7 without the back holes for the bolts.
Again, sorry to look closer before responding!
The following users liked this post:
DestinVette (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine had pre-drilled holes front & rear for the factory bolts for a C7.
DestinVette (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The picture you show are for the Z06, Model: C7-CCC7-Z06-SS-CF. They are not intended for the Non-Z06 Stingray.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
$$$frumnuttin' (03-29-2016), DestinVette (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM
DestinVette
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I will circle back to C7 Carbon tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

C7 Carbon sells 2 types of Z06 look side skirts. The GTX side skirts which are the ones I purchased look similar to the Z06/Z07 skirts they sell. According to Anwar when I called the only difference between the two (since they both look alike) is the GTX are a direct fit with the pre drilled holes and can be mounted using the existing 5 bolts and automotive double stick tape. I was told that Z06 style require you to drill in order to mount. This is the reason I chose the GTX style, no drilling needed and was able to use the existing 5 bolts. I would give them a call and have them verify this.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:44 PM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

It works on the stingray, you can use one oem bolt in the front, no oem's will line up on the back. What you can do is buy some u clips from napa auto parts to act as a fail safe if the tape ever fails, but I've had tape on at high speeds and never had an issue. (Although I bought the nice tape and adhesion promoter)

Another option is to return what you have and get the GTX splitter, which has more factory mounting holes, but you will still need to either use tape or rivets anyway, so it doesnt make much of a difference.

My thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-install.html
Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 x 2
Mine had pre-drilled holes front & rear for the factory bolts for a C7.
My CF skirts from LG Motorsports also had predrilled holes on both ends for attachment with OEM bolts.
Then the instructions said to drill holes for rivits in the center span, which I did. However it was easy as you're only drilling in the plastic composte and it drills like butter. But with the OEM bolts in place there is no guessing as to the location of skirts, that is defined.
DestinVette (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 AM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I purchased the GTX style from C7. If you are doing yourself be careful if drilling into body. Some oil lines may be compromised.

I used factory bolts.. Small modification needed. And 3m tape. Been on since July 2015.
No issues. Good Luck!

DestinVette (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 AM
DestinVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Playboy2
C7 Carbon sells 2 types of Z06 look side skirts. The GTX side skirts which are the ones I purchased look similar to the Z06/Z07 skirts they sell. According to Anwar when I called the only difference between the two (since they both look alike) is the GTX are a direct fit with the pre drilled holes and can be mounted using the existing 5 bolts and automotive double stick tape. I was told that Z06 style require you to drill in order to mount. This is the reason I chose the GTX style, no drilling needed and was able to use the existing 5 bolts. I would give them a call and have them verify this.
Perfect. Thank you--I really needed this info.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
DestinVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by awright2009
It works on the stingray, you can use one oem bolt in the front, no oem's will line up on the back. What you can do is buy some u clips from napa auto parts to act as a fail safe if the tape ever fails, but I've had tape on at high speeds and never had an issue. (Although I bought the nice tape and adhesion promoter)

Another option is to return what you have and get the GTX splitter, which has more factory mounting holes, but you will still need to either use tape or rivets anyway, so it doesnt make much of a difference.

My thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-install.html
Thank you very much for coming up on the net. This is great information and the photos and details are superb.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 AM
DestinVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
I purchased the GTX style from C7. If you are doing yourself be careful if drilling into body. Some oil lines may be compromised.

I used factory bolts.. Small modification needed. And 3m tape. Been on since July 2015.
No issues. Good Luck!

Thank you. Looks great. Thank you for the caution on the oil lines when drilling.

Get notified of new replies

To Installation Instructions for Side Skirts by C7Carbon--Help Needed

Quick Reply: Installation Instructions for Side Skirts by C7Carbon--Help Needed