Sponsored by:

Android Auto service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM
fltsfshr
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Corey

I'm impressed with Chevrolet's response but I was happy with the service and the update. Where I found disappointment was in the lack of applications. I'm hoping that more apps will come available such as local live weather radar, a Waze map app among others.
Thanks for your prompt response and concern.
fltsfshr
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I have found that this to be a dealer issue. After calling a number of the Chevrolet dealers here in the D/Ft W area, several asked when I wanted to bring the car in where as one stated "What download ?" I also had one simply explain that they were in the process of getting whatever it was from GM they needed. That dealer called me several days later to let me know that they were now able to do the install.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Corey

I'm impressed with Chevrolet's response but I was happy with the service and the update. Where I found disappointment was in the lack of applications. I'm hoping that more apps will come available such as local live weather radar, a Waze map app among others.
Thanks for your prompt response and concern.
fltsfshr
See http://mashable.com/2015/04/16/waze-.../#kTHNzwnyWkqL

For wild speculation see https://goo.gl/pjJsMg
Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, what a fricken bunch of incompetent dealers. I got the email. I called and scheduled with the dealership to have the update done a few days ago. Drive 20 miles from my house to the dealer. Sit in the waiting area for about 15 minutes, then the service writer comes out and tells me we can't do the update. I figured he needed the email, but NO, he tells me they don't have the software. Then the service manager comes out and says "they never got the disc.....it's a CD that we need to load onto a USB so we can do the update." I'm thinking bull crap......you don't know what you are talking about. So, I leave. Stop at another dealer on the way home and ask them if they have the software to do the update. He says yes. I ask if it comes via a disc and he says "no, it gets automatically downloaded to our system." This is exactly what I expected to hear.

What a damn joke. This first dealer is 0 for 2......first the Mobil1 mess, now this. I never filled out my GM customer service survey after the last visit, and since this visit wasn't a service, I think I'm going to just fill it out for both trips and give them the failing report they deserve, and move onto this 2nd dealership.

Afternoon wasted. Now I have to wait until next week to get this update.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 04-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:39 PM
defaria
Safety Car

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! The most abundant thing in the universe is hydrogen... followed closely by incompetence!
The following users liked this post:
08G8V8 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I called the local dealer yesterday to schedule the update & an oil change. The service writer didn’t know anything about the update but she took my VIN to investigate.
She called back a little while later and said she found it: ‘A performance related technical recall’. Hmmm, that sounds like something I probably need but it’s not for the Infotainment system.

I forwarded the email to her. She reviewed it with the Service Manager and called back to say they were cool with it but bring the update notice when I come in.

So far, it’s going well.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Globeman
I called the local dealer yesterday to schedule the update & an oil change. The service writer didn’t know anything about the update but she took my VIN to investigate.
She called back a little while later and said she found it: ‘A performance related technical recall’. Hmmm, that sounds like something I probably need but it’s not for the Infotainment system.

I forwarded the email to her. She reviewed it with the Service Manager and called back to say they were cool with it but bring the update notice when I come in.

So far, it’s going well.
"Performance related technical recall" is an awfully silly name for "you get your 0-60 (or whatever) performance timer back". I know, I got it. It's nice to have but I'd hardly call it a "recall"!

The AA update is totally different. It gives you Android Auto. I've been using it lately. Actually looking for places to drive to to use the Maps feature more. It's nice but there's a lot of weird things in there like you can pretty easily "break" back into your phone to use it while AA is running. The deal is supposed to be that when AA is connected you can't use your phone for anything except what AA supports and only on the larger screen. But you can pull down the notification tray and respond to notifications, including going into the apps that the notification is for. You can also use the "recent apps" button to get into anything that was running before you started using AA.

Also, it doesn't appear to be using the Bluetooth connection for media, rather it seems to use the USB connection to send media stuff to the speakers. Interesting and it appears as if the sound is better and stronger to boot.

At some point I'm gonna put up a blog post explaining all I find with AA for everybody's benefit. There's a lot of simple improvements that would make AA much better like whenever you switch to another audio app you'd think it'd just start playing but NOOOOO you have to hit play each time...
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM
big red one
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

So the software update is a download for the dealer, my dealer is telling me he needs a special tool.

So, from the forum we can tell its a download of software and its uploaded via the usb socket.

Does anyone know if its simply a normal usb stick or is it a usb style dingle thats attached to the dealers computer while the update is done?

Ian
Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
"Inconvenient" would not be the word I would choose to use. Which is why I'm responding so that you really know how I feel and the frustration, no aggravation over the stupidity of the whole situation.

This is great to hear! Because I want you to that this response very seriously...

Point #1: I shouldn't have to be "working with a chat agent" in the first place. In fact, I should have been called somewhere in Feb by Chevy (dealer or Chevy rep, whatever) with a "Great news Mr. DeFaria! There's an update that will allow you to run Android Auto... yada, yada". I mean when I ordered the car I got a call from Bowling Green by some guy making sure that the name on my name plate was spelled correctly. If you can do that why can you do the former?

Point #2: As for VINs... this is exactly where the frustration lies. As a customer let me share with you my viewpoint...

In my consideration of pulling the trigger and buying a vette - paid in cash BTW so you already have my money - I had to decide if I wanted to get a 15 or wait for a 16. I decided to wait. Partly because of a few of the enhancements I heard about like the pull down rear hatch and the front cameras. But the main reason I waited for 16 was the promise of Android Auto. You see I'm not an iGuy but an Android dude. I was dismayed that the 16's would be out of the barn with Apple's CarPlay and no AA (yet another thing iGuys can scuff in our faces). But the fact that the hardware was capable and the update was supposed to be spring of 16 I pulled that triggered and laid down a hunk of change for this car. And you know what? I expect to be treated like an $80K customer. Call me odd.

When I heard it would be out March 1st and saw some people reporting they were getting it I called my dealer only to be told I had to wait for some sort of cert/coupon and that they needed to check my VIN. Why? Why? Or lord why? I mean doesn't all 2016 vettes have the required hardware to run AA? Why in heaven's name would you have some 2016 capable hardware wise and others not? I mean why do you need to check a VIN if all 2016's are capable and by extension thus eligible? People on the forum here said that all vettes were capable/eligible but not all of GM models were likewise qualified. Ok, understandable. But surely dealers could be given this info too.

Then I was treated like crap by my dealer (documented elsewhere on this forum) only to have another dealer do The Right Thing(tm).

So now Mr. Chevy Customer Care Cory, you have a wonderful opportunity to tell us yes or no: Are all 2016 Vettes both capable and eligible?

The whole "let me check your VIN" seems weird. Worse case you mean the masterful programmers at GM couldn't cook up a web page that the GM tech could easily cruise to, type in a VIN and flash "Good to go" or "No way Jose"? I mean if you couldn't then I kindly offer my services, free of charge, as I'm between contracts right now and I can whip up a page that would allow any mechanic to quickly and easily check if the VIN number was eligible for update. There - problem solved!

Additionally, this step of having to get a cert/coupon is bogus. I've been in the software industry for some 30 years now. Never, I repeat NEVER have I been forced to wait for some cert/coupon to get a software update!

So maybe this gives you a sense of how I feel and I assure you it's not merely frustration - it's pure disgust of stupid systems and policies that do nothing but make customers shake their heads and wonder how messed up it would be to actually work there (and thank gawd I don't - though I can be had at the right price :-) Who knows I might be able to help...

Now maybe there are lots of very good, very logical and very understandable reasons for what I point out but what remains is undeniable. None of those good, logical and understandable reasons are being communicated to the dealers nor the customers! And that's still a problem that needs fixing.

Of course you have a wonderful opportunity to correct any misconceptions that I have here as well....

Hello defaria,

We apologize for the displeasing experience you endured at Boardwalk Chevrolet but are glad to know you were able to have the Android Update installed at Momentum Chevrolet. With regards to requesting your VIN, we do ask for this information, as this is how we are able to identify our customer’s vehicles and view any pertinent information that may assist with addressing concerns.

Please know, we understand you invested time and money in your Vette and we sincerely do appreciate your loyalty to the Chevrolet brand. Although we are unable to speculate on why a voucher is required, we appreciate your comments and have documented your feedback within our system for multiple teams to view. Thank you and let us know if you have any future questions.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

So I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this however....I really don't think the head unit changed from '14-'16

Anyhow, Any chance in hell this can be installed on a '14 or '15 or did they really put a new head unit in the 2016s?

LATER EDIT: Yes, they really did put a new headunit in.

Last edited by Houston Z33; 04-07-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:21 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello defaria,

We apologize for the displeasing experience you endured at Boardwalk Chevrolet but are glad to know you were able to have the Android Update installed at Momentum Chevrolet. With regards to requesting your VIN, we do ask for this information, as this is how we are able to identify our customer’s vehicles and view any pertinent information that may assist with addressing concerns.

Please know, we understand you invested time and money in your Vette and we sincerely do appreciate your loyalty to the Chevrolet brand. Although we are unable to speculate on why a voucher is required, we appreciate your comments and have documented your feedback within our system for multiple teams to view. Thank you and let us know if you have any future questions.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm gonna push the issue. Sorry but your response is lacking. Specifically address the following point:

1) If GM can have some dude in Bowling Green call me up to insure my name is spelled correctly then why can't you (yes you the "Customer Care" people) call me up to say "Your Android Auto is ready"?!?

2) Regarding VINs, remember the issue here is whether or not this particular software update applies to a car. I fail to see how a VIN number is required! IOW why wouldn't "Well I have a 2016 Vette" be enough to "identify our customers vehicles and view any pertinent information that may assist with addressing concerns"? The only concern here it installation of Android Auto.

3) Once again, ANSWER THE QUESTION!!! Yes or no, are all 2016 vettes both capable and eligible for the Android Auto update?

4) Again, regarding VINs: If a VIN is truly required, why didn't GM take the few hours it would take to put up a silly web page on their system that mechanics could type in to verify that the VIN is eligible?

So you see, you didn't address any of the issues that I raised.

Finally, don't speculate on why a voucher is required (which, BTW is wrong - a voucher is not required), INVESTIGATE why a voucher is required. You're Chevy Customer Care! You're part of Chevy. You have way more resources and ways to get information internal to Chevy than any of us. This "we can't speculate" is a totally bogus response.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Heh, you just voiced my thoughts on the response from customer service. Said person simply danced around the issue and never offered a direct, definitive answer. Why am I not surprised ?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

"I knew it, I'm surrounded by azzholes!"

(lol)

Last edited by Hoonose; 04-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:40 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

After reading this thread I am not sure I want the AA update on my car. OK, so I know I'm an old geezer but I do use a PC, a Chromebook and my Android LG G4 with no problems. My phone pairs with my C7 just fine using Bluetooth and I can take and make calls with no problems and also have my phone read messages to me while driving. I don't use it for Navigation as I find the NAV system in the car to be perfectly capable for my needs. I use my ipod for music, not my phone. So, what will AA do for me? Anything? Thanks.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 04-09-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:53 PM
gsgold
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Android Auto Software

Originally Posted by big red one
My dealer is claiming ignorance over this software update, does anybody know if there is a service bulletin number or reference i can give my dealer?

Ian
I received an email from GM with my VIN number stating I could get a free software upgrade to Android Auto.
I'm taking my Z in this Monday for the upgrade.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:16 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

I had both Android Auto and Performance Timer done today. I was there 90 mins and my dealer was professional and tech talked to me on how to setup Android Auto with my phone.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
After reading this thread I am not sure I want the AA update on my car. OK, so I know I'm an old geezer but I do use a PC, a Chromebook and my Android LG G4 with no problems. My phone pairs with my C7 just fine using Bluetooth and I can take and make calls with no problems and also have my phone read messages to me while driving. I don't use it for Navigation as I find the NAV system in the car to be perfectly capable for my needs. I use my ipod for music, not my phone. So, what will AA do for me? Anything? Thanks.
I've been asking the same thing for a while now. It is inconvenient, and not rare at all to suffer damage to the car at the dealership. Now if I have enough of a car problem pressing me to take it in for service, I would have it done.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto service bulletin

Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Picking up loose women .................. Oh ........ Wait .......... You ment Android Auto .....................
Old 04-11-2016, 07:12 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Originally Posted by wrecker3
I had both Android Auto and Performance Timer done today. I was there 90 mins and my dealer was professional and tech talked to me on how to setup Android Auto with my phone.

Is there any way to tell Android Auto was successfully installed without having my phone hooked up? Does it put an icon on the home page?

I had the dealer install the software today, but they gave absolutely no input when done, just gave me my keys. I have been trying to connect my LG G4 and it won't connect. The Android Auto app on my phone says I need to connect to my vehicle, and shows no pairs vehicles.

I've done some searching about and saw stuff about turning on Developer options and USB debugging. I've switched from MPT and PTP(I think) and nothing.

I'm starting to think the software install wasn't successful. Getting frustrated with something that should have been super simple.

Any input?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 PM
08G8V8
Racer

I see Apple CarPlay in the Settings, but not Android Auto. I don't think the install was successful. What a cluster F.
The following users liked this post:
C7s (04-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Android Auto service bulletin