C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Geezer's Navtool installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 95BLKVette
So I received the mini USB cable today and easily downloaded the latest software update and went into setup and added the front camera with OEM rear. Plugged it back into the car and it works perfectly

So I ordered the Mirascreen 1080P HDMI Bluetooth adaptor from Amazon and will hook it up to the unit this weekend to see if I can get my iPhone to mirror to the screen via Bluetooth

It seems the update cures a lot of ills.

Hang in there. You'll get this.

Elmer
Old 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Poltergeist
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

So I received the mini USB cable today and easily downloaded the latest software update and went into setup and added the front camera with OEM rear. Plugged it back into the car and it works perfectly

So I ordered the Mirascreen 1080P HDMI Bluetooth adaptor from Amazon and will hook it up to the unit this weekend to see if I can get my iPhone to mirror to the screen via Bluetooth
Please report back how the adapter works. Looking to do the same thing since I moved from an iPhone to Android. TIA
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Jakelee
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I installed the Navtool today in my 2015 3LT Convertible.

Ordered front camera and HDMI mirroring.

So I get a unit with a wiring harness with L/R audio, left, right, and rear 1 and rear 2......no front camera lead.

Manual says video 2 is front camera and video 1 is rear.

So I try it with video 2 as front camera as I have an OEM rear and in reverse I get black screen and in drive I get my rear camera.

So I try it with front camera in video 1 and I get front camera in reverse and OEM rear camera in drive.

So they didn’t program it correctly!

I have to purchase a mini USB 6 ft cable to reprogram the module.

So I get on their chat line and they say they don’t make mistakes and the order was correct....bullshit.

I hate arrogant techs and this guy was a total A-Hole.....

I don’t know how these people stay in business!

I’ll reprogram it and hope it works correctly.....

Will update after I get the new cable....

Anyone else with similar experience with these jackasses?
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
you basically called someone an ******* because you had no idea what you were doing, and actually, after you listen to *** hole bits of advice everything seems to work great,

I hate 2 faced people
Old 06-16-2018, 03:09 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakelee
you basically called someone an ******* because you had no idea what you were doing, and actually, after you listen to *** hole bits of advice everything seems to work great,

I hate 2 faced people
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo How does your post help anyone in any way? Maybe you feel what you post has value, but we're not seeing it.

Last edited by DWillys; 06-16-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Art17
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
A new product is coming out with delivery in December (actually delayed until late March 2106). It is called NAVtool. This product will allow a front view camera to be hooked up to the NAV screen. In preparation for NAVtool, I have mounted a front camera in my grill. I've threaded the power & video leads into the engine bay and I await the delivery of the NAVtool. For power, I will use the "Micro Add-a-circuit" in the front fuse box as there or many 12v switched fuses to double tap.

Here are pictures of the mounted front camera:

Large pictures afford the best detail of the installation. Drilling 2 holes is a non event so I didn't see any reason to take pictures. Well, maybe I should have documented the hole drilling as I got a question on it.

First, you don't need to remove the grill to mount the camera.

I made a paper template of the hole/base and scotch taped it to the grill. I then used masking tape om the next couple of lower sections to protect from touching the grill with by drill. I then used a 1/16 drill bit to make the initial holes and then used a 3/8(?) drill bit to enlarge the holes. Go slow, it drills very easy, (plastic). dropped in the screws (the have a hex hole in the head and used an allen wrench for the top of the screw and held the nut on the bottom to get it started. I had to modify the allen wrench (it was old and I had a couple) by cutting it off to shorten the length to fit on top of the screw as there is not much space for a wrench or screwdriver. I used an acorn nut with the nylon inside to lock the screw and keep it secure.

I put black wire loom on the wires behind the camera to hide a red plug (power) and a yellow plug (video). Everything is wrapped and tapped black to hide all the wiring behind the grill.

The camera is made by "Pyle".
Model PLCM38FRV
170 degree field of view
Color

It can be optioned for front or rear view and has optional grid lines. I wired the red & white wires for the grid and did not connect the blue option wire for the "reverse" picture that is needed in a rear view camera. A good ground is on the fender next to the air filter. Add an additional M8 X 1.25 nut to the existing ground.

The video lead will come in to the cabin behind the rubber insulation at the front of the passenger door. I will add pictures to this thread as I progress along in the project.

The NAVtool is plug and play. The Navigation unit HMI in the 2014 & 2015 Corvettes is located above the driver's side kick panel.

3/2/2016 Update.

Ok, I got restless! I tapped the power today in the engine bay fuse box. I used a switched 12v source and tapped the power with a "Micro" tap a circuit.

I used a convenient fuse (#36) that had 12v switched and fused it all up.

I ran the power lead into the fuse box and notched out a small access slot in the rim of the fuse box so the wire wouldn't be crimped. This picture shows the notch.

This picture shows the wire resting in the notch and the wire is perfectly flat with the top edge of the rim.

I also snaked the video lead in from the engine bay inside to the interior of the car. I ran it in the passenger door side access point and then I snaked the video under the dash over to the driver's side kick panel. I have 12-14" of extra video wire ready for the hookup. A good ground is on the fender next to the air filter. Add an additional M8 X 1.25 nut to the existing ground.

Now, all that is needed are the end pieces to show up at the vendor, the vendor can install the end pieces and then ship the units out to the buyers. This next part of the installation should be 1hour minutes tops to get it finished.

Well, it arrived and my 1 hour was actually 1:15 but there was a complication. Short story, there was a bad crimp connection on the power lead in the fuse box and I had to cut it out and make a soldered connection with shrink wrap to cover it. Front camera works perfect for the last 5 tries so I think that was the issue. If not, I'll refasten the ground and get rid of the crimped connection. Chasing that out made the install 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Here's the stuff that we need to install:

OK, let's finish up. Some of these pictures show a white car and we all know I have torch red. It was silly to take new pictures that showed the same stuff so I'll use the "library of pictures".

Here are the blue leads for the HMI to Navtool connection. You can't mess this up. Each connector only fits 1 socket and not only that, the sockets are the matching color to the plugs.

Here are the leads for the input to the Navtool.

There are 5 RCA plugs They are grouped 3 into a black connector and 2 into a black connector.

The Group of three is labeled thus:

Video input 1 = Front Camera
Video input 2 = Left Side Camera
Video output = Right Side Camera

The Group of two is labeled thus:

Video Input 1 = Audio red
Video Input 2 = Audio black

The group of 2 audio is used in connection with an AUX jack and one of these: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ima...2.5-RCA3_m.jpg

If you don't have an AUX jack, you can do blue tooth audio streaming.

OK, let's tear the car apart!

Remove the piece of trim above the kick panel at the passenger post and then remove the kick panel

Remove the panel directly under the glove box by pulling out 2 "push pins". NOTE!! There is a light in this piece that you need to twist out and put back in after you start reassembly.

Pull back the carpet to expose the BCM cover plate.

Before you remove the 3 ten mm fasteners, look at the bottom right corner of the cover. There is a bundle of wire connected to the cover. Use a pair of long nosed pliers to reach in, grab the black plastic push pin and pry the pin out of the cover. The pin will need to be pushed toward the door side of the car. When you have the wire bundle loose, then take off the 3 10mm fasteners and remove the BCM cover.

Reach around the left side of the wires and get behind the big bundle. The white 20 pin plug is back there and you need to unplug it and bring it out to the front. Look at your 20 green wire jumper. The white plug on it is the same as the plug you need to find and pull to the front.

Now, plug in the 20 green wire plug into the audio receiver and then connect the white plug to the end of the 20 wire green bundle that came with the navtool.

Now fish the small 4 wire connector (red, black, yellow, white.) that connects to the video lead bundle through the back of the console and get that small black plug FROM the driver's side over to the passenger side. When you accomplish that, plug in the black connected to the black plug that is in the middle of the 20 wire green bundle. WATCH your connection it'll fit either way BUT ONLY ONE way will allow the locking clasp to engage.

This picture shows the completed 20 connection, the 4 wire connection and it actually shows the "light" hanging down that was inserted in the panel under the glove box.

This picture shows the video feed coming into the cabin under the rubber seal.

This picture shows were I finally mounted the navtool. It is up in the area to the left of my brake pedal and we wire tied it into place. We wire tied all of the wires and even supported the HDMI wire with a wire tie.

The long run of 4 wires from the passenger audio receiver plugs into the navtool. The blue wire from the HMI runs into the blue wire from navtool to the navtool. The 2nd blue wire comes from the navtool and plugs into the original blue wire hole on the HMI.

We connected everything and left it on the floor. Started up the car and tested. It worked initially. Then I lost the video from the camera but I believe I found that as a faulty crimped power wire in the engine fuse box (that was mentioned earlier in this post.). Except for that damn bad power crimp, we had the install done and buttoned up in 1 hour and 15 minutes. We're talking pure **** wire routing, with neat wiring, no slack, everything wire tied in place to maintain neatness. You know, **** stuff.

Here's the video to prove it works!

The grid in the picture shows at the farthest grid at 8" the middle bar in the grid is 4.5", the closest grid line is 3".

Another item, the iPhone was tested this AM. I plugged it in and immediately got my IPhone screen. I hit an APP and got this to prove that it works.

The HDMI cable I used was this: Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return: Electronics

The HDMI adapter to the iPhone I used was this: Amazon.com: Lightning Digital AV Adapter for iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus / iPad Retina Display, mini, mini 2, mini 3, Air, Air 2 / iPod touch 5th Generation, 6th Generation: Electronics

This is how I ran my HDMI cord for my iPhone connection. From the Navtool, I removed the side trim on the console and tucked the wire up into the console area and back to the console. I then used a razor knife and slowly cut a hole in the console to accommodate the HDMI plug. If you take off the trim, notice on the VERY front "tab" it needs to go in the slot and then slide forward to catch the "tit" sticking out on the attachment piece. Then the rest of the trim piece slaps back into the slots quite easily.

Major mad props to Bob Mclennon who came over to help. Between us two gimps, we probably 3/4 of a real mechanic to work. Not too bad for a couple of geezers.

Elmer
This was really impressive work! Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 AM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate 2 faced people
For a newbie with only a couple of posts you seem very opinionated yourself!

Not quite, the video connectors were mislabeled and also it should come preprogrammed from the factory with your order requirements, otherwise they have no reason to ask what you want on the order form which is very option specific.

The point of my post is to let those that purchase this great system is that it’s not plug and play and you do need to reprogram it once you receive it.

The big issue I have with their tech is that the one I had was just plain nasty to the customer for no reason whatsoever.

I believe Elmer who started this post also had some issues with them early on also.

Oh, and for the record I’m not two faced

Last edited by 95BLKVette; 06-23-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
The grid lines are part of the camera. You can option for yes/no grid lines and you can reverse the image in case the camera is being used as a rear view. It is explained in the instructions that come with the camera.

Elmer
Hey Elmer did you get your camera direct from Navtool or did you purchase it separately?

The one I bought with my order doesn’t seem to have any instructions like that.....

Thanks,

Al
Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Hey Elmer did you get your camera direct from Navtool or did you purchase it separately?

The one I bought with my order doesn’t seem to have any instructions like that.....

Thanks,

Al
I bought both of the cameras from Amazon. The first one was $20 and works fine. The second one I bought was because Navtool said I was doing something wrong or I had the wrong camera. I asked them what they used and bought one just like theirs. Guess what, **** was still broke. They finally fixed the software programming and I just kept using the second camera (read more expensive) and gave my $20 camera to a friend that has a '15 and wanted a front camera. It's on his car and continues to work just fine.

I'm pretty sure I put a link in this thread for the Amazon cameras I purchased.

The camera is made by "Pyle".
Model PLCM38FRV
170 degree field of view
Color

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 06-23-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added camera information
Old 06-23-2018, 03:12 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

The Mirascreen Adaptor was a no-go with my IPhone.......could possibly work with an Android phone as I did get the Mirascreen introduction screen on the cars screen.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 PM
eboggs_jkvl

The HDMI cord and adaptor was how I mirrored my iPhone.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BRomanelli
Elmer
Great write up and pictures. I am glad you didn't need to get cut out of the car after the install and hope the back is better.
Let me ask this. Was any disassembly needed on the drivers side or is everything pretty much exposed under the dash. Is the only thing happening on the drivers side the plug in of the plugs?? I will be installing mine Sunday hopefully. Second, you mentioned audio lines. I can't think of why I'd want audio for this can you help me out. Am I missing something??

For those of you that want to use side cameras the side marker lights can be utilized with out changing the functionality of the light. The one shown has the same Boyo camera in it that was used in the front grill. The cameras come with three mounting options. The one shown is for face mounting. This requires a larger hole by the camera snaps in real tight. You can actually use a much smaller hole to just expose the camera front and then silicone it in place.
Thanks!
Bob
That's actually a really good idea. The blind spot in the C7 on one of my roads is really, really bad...at about a 120 degree angle. Do you have any that are barely noticeable? The one in the image kind of looks like a barnacle
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

The Mirascreen Adaptor was a no-go with my IPhone.......could possibly work with an Android phone as I did get the Mirascreen introduction screen on the cars screen.
Finally put in my hard wired HDMI IOS adapter yesterday and it works great👍
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 PM
eboggs_jkvl

It was a PITA to get worked out but the darn thing is working perfectly from the day the bugs were wrung out of it.

Elmer
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 PM
Jakelee
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone upgraded to NavTool 5.0 ?

Facebook Post

Last edited by Jakelee; 08-15-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Can you update the old one or does it have to be replaced?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

I just ordered the 5.0. They said it wil ship out today. New module and wiring harness. I will report back once I get it and attempt the install.

-M
The following 2 users liked this post by managerman:
badhabit_wb (08-16-2018), robert miller (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Drew27
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

You have to buy new...

Awesome for adding car play or android auto...
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (08-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The Geezer's Navtool installation

Old 08-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Gamble52
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm having real bad video feedback. The scrolling through the image like a broken old tube tv. Anybody run into this? I wired the positive on 3 cameras straight into the fuse box. I'm trying to isolate it to being the ground, bad cameras, OR the unit being defective, but i don't think it's the cameras or the unit being defective as everything is fine when i start the car up/bench test it. The scrolling happens when the car warms up and goes through the revs (while driving).....

My ground points were the engine ones to the chassis but i switched it out to a different ground in the engine bay and it still has the same issue. The next resort would run a direct ground from the battery in the trunk, which i don't want to do just yet, but will if I need to. Anybody else run into this issue and what was your solution?

Last edited by Gamble52; 08-17-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:54 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Sorry bud, I've got nothing for you on this. I don't think you have a ground issue. I do think you have a heat issue with the unit and the unit is going nuts when it warms up.

Elmer
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Bryan Peroni
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried installing the smartphone mirroring with the wireless adapter option? I just started my installation and realized that the harnesses provided do not look like those in this thread. Look at the green 20 pin jumper. Mine has one white and black wire with a 4 prong connector. The wireless adapter connector is really stumping me. It has a connector that obviously goes to the harness but to other connections on that harness are bare wires and AV jacks.
I have three harnesses plus the connections into the adapter and the Navtool. Any ideas

Quick Reply: The Geezer's Navtool installation