Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,003 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

After posting on the Chevy Customer Service Tracking Thread on this forum, I did hear from Steph B the Customer Service Rep and was assigned a case # and she notified my nearby dealer.

I went to the dealer this afternoon just to let them know that Chevy Customer Service would be contacting them, but they already had the info printed out as I walked up The Service advisor took a ride with me and clearly heard what we've been hearing. I explained that a few of my forum colleagues have been into their dealers without much success. I mentioned the AFM valve at the exhaust, changing exhaust, and a few other things. I'm scheduled to drop the car off with them this coming Monday...... I will take their Corvette Tech for a ride prior to leaving the car.

He did ask me if I knew if any of the other folks seeing this issue had Manual transmissions, or were they all Automatics. I told him I thought all were Auto's. PLEASE let me know if any of you have Manual's and are hearing this harmonic rotational WARBLE noise so I can advise them.

He was leaning towards the torque conversion tube, or rear diff and not so much the transmission as it's RPM related and does it in most gears.

PLEASE advise if you have any additional new inputs.

thanks...
The following users liked this post:
Highplains (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
After posting on the Chevy Customer Service Tracking Thread on this forum, I did hear from Steph B the Customer Service Rep and was assigned a case # and she notified my nearby dealer.

I went to the dealer this afternoon just to let them know that Chevy Customer Service would be contacting them, but they already had the info printed out as I walked up The Service advisor took a ride with me and clearly heard what we've been hearing. I explained that a few of my forum colleagues have been into their dealers without much success. I mentioned the AFM valve at the exhaust, changing exhaust, and a few other things. I'm scheduled to drop the car off with them this coming Monday...... I will take their Corvette Tech for a ride prior to leaving the car.

He did ask me if I knew if any of the other folks seeing this issue had Manual transmissions, or were they all Automatics. I told him I thought all were Auto's. PLEASE let me know if any of you have Manual's and are hearing this harmonic rotational WARBLE noise so I can advise them.

He was leaning towards the torque conversion tube, or rear diff and not so much the transmission as it's RPM related and does it in most gears.

thanks...
Thanks for that information. Please keep us advised as to what your dealer comes up with. Mine, by the way, is an A8 on a 2016. The thought that it may be a conversion tube, diff or trans scares me because I'd worry about GM balking at fixing or replacing such expensive items.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:41 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

thanks...
I take mine in wed. The 25th so please update asap so i can pass along any useful info to my dealer on wed. The customer service person sent me a pm indicating all our responses to my post had been forwarded to the appropriate parties so they can look into it. I think it is related to a rotating component, tranny, torque tube, rear end , etc. I think we have raised the issue so gm tech support and or eng. Will get involved and find the root cause and not just start changing parts. Guys if u haven't contacted customer support please do so. Thanks guys
Strake (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I take mine in wed. The 25th so please update asap so i can pass along any useful info to my dealer on wed. The customer service person sent me a pm indicating all our responses to my post had been forwarded to the appropriate parties so they can look into it. I think it is related to a rotating component, tranny, torque tube, rear end , etc. I think we have raised the issue so gm tech support and or eng. Will get involved and find the root cause and not just start changing parts. Guys if u haven't contacted customer support please do so. Thanks guys
How do we go about contacting customer support and what do they need to be told?
I had put something on the Customer Service Tracking thread but figured I'd put it in the wrong place.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Highplains
How do we go about contacting customer support and what do they need to be told?
I had put something on the Customer Service Tracking thread but figured I'd put it in the wrong place.
Pete,

Steph B (Chevy Customer Service) replied to your posting this morning on the "Tracking" thread. She suggested you PM them with your detailed contact info and detailed specifics of the issue...... although she knew it's the same thing I already wrote up.

I've have 6 PM messages from her today, back and forth with me. In my case, they replied to me via PM and I replied back to her with my contact details.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Highplains
Pro

Pete,

Steph B (Chevy Customer Service) replied to your posting this morning on the "Tracking" thread. She suggested you PM them with your detailed contact info and detailed specifics of the issue...... although she knew it's the same thing I already wrote up.

I've have 6 PM messages from her today, back and forth with me. In my case, they replied to me via PM and I replied back to her with my contact details.
I found it. Somehow, I skipped over it this AM. I am currently in the progress of writing a PM to her.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Highplains
I clicked on the customer tracking post and actually clicked on their name upper left side and it took me to their profile i think and i selected send a pm. It is like you would send a pm to any forum member. Simply tell them what your car is doing and they will document your problem and assign it a case number and contact your dealer to have them contact you to bring your car in for resolution. The more interest we can generate and shine light on this problem the greater chance we have of getting gm involved for resolution. Thanks
Old 05-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I clicked on the customer tracking post and actually clicked on their name upper left side and it took me to their profile i think and i selected send a pm. It is like you would send a pm to any forum member. Simply tell them what your car is doing and they will document your problem and assign it a case number and contact your dealer to have them contact you to bring your car in for resolution. The more interest we can generate and shine light on this problem the greater chance we have of getting gm involved for resolution. Thanks
Provide your full VIN # too as well as your contact info and the dealership you prefer to work with. If you've already been to a dealer, tell then what has transpired and where you went.... still (obviously) without success.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Highplains
Pro

Provide your full VIN # too as well as your contact info and the dealership you prefer to work with. If you've already been to a dealer, tell then what has transpired and where you went.... still (obviously) without success.
Complete report submitted by PM to Steph at Customer Service. I will post if/when I hear back with anything significant.
Strake (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
How can I reach a GM Customer support person on the forum?
Ed,

Were you able to reach GM Customer Service rep through the Sticky "Track my order" Thread?

I posted last night and Steph B replied quickly to me this morning..... I replied to her via PM and provided my detailed contact info and she assigned a case # and asked me which dealership I preferred to go to. By the time I stopped by that local dealer this afternoon, they had been contacted by GM and had a full stack of papers on this. The Service Advisor took a ride, heard the noise and I'm scheduled to take the car in Monday morning.

Please try to reach out to them. I know there's got to be at least a dozen of us experiencing this and the more of us that officially document this and request action by GM Tech support through our dealers, the quicker we will all find resolution.

thanks,
Richard
Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

T

thanks...
My dealer replaced my diff fluid - didn't help. I believe this is beyond the dealer being able to diagnose. I have no dealer complaint. This is obviously a problem inherent in the 2016 A8 NPP vehicles. numerous engine and performance guys I know believe it's a fluttering in the exhaust. If I lightly hit my mufflers with a rubber mallet, they sound solid at the rear seam and go " bwannnng rattle" at the seam closest to front of car. It sounds like the NPP valves are fluttering to me. I can hear them rattle in the pipe - especially on left pipe.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-20-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Ed,

Were you able to reach GM Customer Service rep through the Sticky "Track my order" Thread?

I posted last night and Steph B replied quickly to me this morning..... I replied to her via PM and provided my detailed contact info and she assigned a case # and asked me which dealership I preferred to go to. By the time I stopped by that local dealer this afternoon, they had been contacted by GM and had a full stack of papers on this. The Service Advisor took a ride, heard the noise and I'm scheduled to take the car in Monday morning.

Please try to reach out to them. I know there's got to be at least a dozen of us experiencing this and the more of us that officially document this and request action by GM Tech support through our dealers, the quicker we will all find resolution.

thanks,
Richard
Hi Richard,

I just posted there with my concern, request for help and a link to the other forum where I have described it in detail. If I don't hear something by Monday, I'll try direct contact. I swear it's in the exhaust or toque tube type issue. Due to it being related to rpm, it can't be output side of transmission, diff, axles, tires because I can do it in 6,7 & 8th gears at 1500 rpm. All components after trans are turning at different speeds when at 1500 in different gears. That leaves input side of transmission and exhaust.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-20-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Strake (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 AM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

One other note. The service tech heard it and was obviously puzzled. I'll be taking the corvette manager for a ride but every trip there is lost time from work. The corvette manager is awesome. I honestly believe they want me to be happy. I would buy again from him but really just want GM to figure this out. There is obviously a growing number of people with the same concern.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-20-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

One other note. The service tech heard it and was obviously puzzled. I'll be taking the corvette manager for a ride but every trip there is lost time from work. The corvette manager is awesome. I honestly believe they want me to be happy. I would buy again from him but really just want GM to figure this out. There is obviously a growing number of people with the same concern.
Thanks Ed for pinging Chevy Customer Service (GM) so they can see yet another data point.

I sure hope it's not involving the torque converter...... I just looked through a series of pics posted on this forum under a thread titled "Torque Converter Need Replacing"....... very scary stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi Ed,

Thank you for reaching out, and I’m sorry to hear that the warble sound still persists. I’m glad you are still receiving support from your dealership, and I believe I have located your case within our system. If you’d like, I am more than happy to add an additional layer of support on my end. Please send me a private message with your VIN or case number if you’re interested.

I look forward to your reply.

Best,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-22-2016, 05:02 PM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I originally posted on this thread that I had only had a few chirps or warbles and then they went away. I drove this morning and am getting them constantly while I drive in any mode or speed or acceleration. I even continued to get high pitched chirps after turning the motor off in my carport. Does anyone have a sound recording of what you are hearing to see if the noise is the same for all of us or if we are discussing different issues here?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by felkebg
I originally posted on this thread that I had only had a few chirps or warbles and then they went away. I drove this morning and am getting them constantly while I drive in any mode or speed or acceleration. I even continued to get high pitched chirps after turning the motor off in my carport. Does anyone have a sound recording of what you are hearing to see if the noise is the same for all of us or if we are discussing different issues here?
It would appear that everyone has a slightly different sound but the main thing is that it has, for everyone I believe, is an occurrence at 1500 RPM. On mine, as I drive in any gear, mode or whatever setting, it comes and goes as the tach goes through that speed. Yours is the first report I've heard of a variation from that especially the fact that it occurred after you shut the engine off. There has been posted, in either this forum or the Corvette Stingray forum, a PDR recording of the noise.

Some of us have already requested of GM Service (a sticky at the beginning of the forum listings) help in the service people "waking up" GM to the problem. I would urge you to do so as well. There is strength in numbers and the louder we ring GM's bell on this, the better chances are that they will respond with some serious diagnostic work. They've been very good about assigning us case numbers

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by felkebg
I doubt if yours is what we are hearing but who knows. Good thing about yours is that it isn't a rotating part like a rearend, tranny, or torque tube, etc since you heard it after engine is off. Should be a little easier to find hopefully. I have an appt. Wed. To take mine in to the dealer, they plan to contact gm tech support for help.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Warship2k15
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Ok I'm gonna throw this out there.
I have noticed a warble sound that happened to be the air conditioning system.

Not saying that this is what people are hearing but it does give people another possibility.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warship2k15
Ok I'm gonna throw this out there.
I have noticed a warble sound that happened to be the air conditioning system.

Not saying that this is what people are hearing but it does give people another possibility.
OK..... I'm playing along.... As I take our car into the dealer tomorrow morning after involving Chevy Customer Service, through this forum, I will try turning OFF the A/C system to see if anything changes. Wouldn't that be something That's about the only thing I haven't tried..... Although, when we drove the car home from Kerbeck's in Atlantic City and heard the noise for the first time, we had the HEAT on as it was 40 degrees out.

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally