Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 PM
argo22
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Warbble

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Bill I will send you a PM and we will discuss and I will give you my home phone and set up a time good for you and I and YOU can call me. I get better reception and hear better on my home phone.
I am not sure how this site works but I don’t think I have any messages from you. Either text me at 650-867-5553 or email me at argo2@sbcglobal.net and we can talk.
Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM
bjinthehouse
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and may make some silly mistakes, but please bear with me till I get used to it.

I purchased my base 2017 C7 A8 last May and immediately start hearing this infamous warble sound from 5th gear and up at around 1500 RPM. Currently around 7500 miles, it has subsided a bit and now only happens in 8th gear at around 75mph, which is right at 1500 RPM. That is the speed I spend majority of the time on the freeway around here, so you can probably imagine how irritating it is.

My car is in service for a scheduled oil change, and I also requested to fix the warble. I described the symptom in detail, using all key words, such as 1500 RPM, diff, pinion and gear, etc..., that I learned in this thread, to the service advisor and mentioned that it is the most discussed issue on the net. He told me that my car may need to stay for few days. That's fine with me. Later the same day he called me with a good news that a new diff has been ordered after contacting GM. I didn't have to take anyone for a ride-along, show any youtube clips, introduce this forum, etc... The dealer I purchased/servicing my C7 appears to sell lots of C7s (there are lot of C7s on their lot) so probably they are aware of this problem. I was bracing to go into a fight with the service department, so what a relief for the moment. Will update when my C7 gets fixed next week.

Last edited by bjinthehouse; 02-14-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bjinthehouse:
joemessman (02-14-2018), Rebel Yell (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 PM
argo22
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Warbble

Originally Posted by bjinthehouse
Hi, I'm new to this forum and may make some silly mistakes, but please bear with me till I get used to it.

I purchased my base 2017 C7 A8 last May and immediately start hearing this infamous warble sound from 5th gear and up at around 1500 RPM. Currently around 7500 miles, it has subsided a bit and now only happens in 8th gear at around 75mph, which is right at 1500 RPM. That is the speed I spend majority of the time on the freeway around here, so you can probably imagine how irritating it is.

My car is in service for a scheduled oil change, and I also requested to fix the warble. I described the symptom in detail, using all key words, such as 1500 RPM, diff, pinion and gear, etc..., that I learned in this thread, to the service advisor and mentioned that it is the most discussed issue on the net. He told me that my car may need to stay for few days. That's fine with me. Later the same day he called me with a good news that a new diff has been ordered after contacting GM. I didn't have to take anyone for a ride-along, show any youtube clips, introduce this forum, etc... The dealer I purchased/servicing my C7 appears to sell lots of C7s (there are lot of C7s on their lot) so probably they are aware of this problem. I was bracing to go into a fight with the service department, so what a relief for the moment. Will update when my C7 gets fixed next week.

I am like you, new to using the forum so am never sure if my message gets through. You are lucky that your dealer is gong to replace the differential so readily. My dealer said they have to hear it first. If you don’t mind can you send me your email name and/or phone number. Would like to talk to you about the noise. My email is. Argo2@sbcglobal.net and phone is 650-867-5553 I live in San Mateo Calif.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Good for you! Thanks to crappy Ric_ Hendric_ Cit_ Chevrole_ in Charlotte and abysmal Chevy customer service from Quenti_ at corporate, they own mine back and can choke on it. 8 months of going around with them.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-14-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Great, that is the way all dealers should take care of their customers. What bothers me is they are still letting these base A8 cars out the door with bad diffs. Good luck on the fix.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Good for you man. I have no issues with my car in this thread, but have followed from the first post. In may be of interest to others where your dealer is, as they may want to contact them to get their cars done there also just my thought..
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM
bjinthehouse
Cruising

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Good for you! Thanks to crappy Ric_ Hendric_ Cit_ Chevrole_ in Charlotte and abysmal Chevy customer service from Quenti_ at corporate, they own mine back and can choke on it. 8 months of going around with them.
Hi Ed Ramberger,
Sorry to hear about your experience with your dealers. I think one of the key is to find a dealer that sells lot of C7s, and the chances are that they already have experience dealing with this issue. What I learned from this thread is that most dealers don't want to deal with this. Not sure why, but probably because of the cost, etc... that other forum members described. Although I knew that my dealer sells a lot of C7s, I didn't have any expectations at all when I took my C7 in, so I really braced for a long shot getting this fixed. First I was thinking how to get the advisor to contact GM and query about the case with Strake (the originator of this thread). Then how to force a technician for a ride-along, finally try to figure out what's needed to report this to BBB. Fortunately I didn't have to use any of my arsenals up until now. My C7 is not fixed yet. Diff hasn't arrived yet. So I cannot relax just yet until it's really fixed, hopefully next week.

Here are some links I have collected that contain some key info and suggestions. Hopefully it'll be helpful for you and everyone else trying to get this fixed.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onally-35.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onally-73.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eo-inside.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-warble.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onally-74.html
Old 02-14-2018, 07:19 PM
bjinthehouse
Cruising

Great, that is the way all dealers should take care of their customers. What bothers me is they are still letting these base A8 cars out the door with bad diffs. Good luck on the fix.
Thank you Bjones.
Although I didn't have to use any of my arsenals, many of your info really helped me prepare for this. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM
bjinthehouse
Cruising

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Good for you man. I have no issues with my car in this thread, but have followed from the first post. In may be of interest to others where your dealer is, as they may want to contact them to get their cars done there also just my thought..
Hi Walleyejack,
True. It's the Courtesy Chevrolet San Diego
http://www.courtesysandiego.com/
Old 02-17-2018, 04:03 AM
Rf4jetmech
2nd Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe time to go through the BBB via the web address in the little warranty booklet. Access it and plug and shug the info into the form and BBB with contact you as well as GM or at least they did me and it all worked out in my favor. Hope it does for you as well. Good luck
Well here is my update on my saga, We had it at the dealer who we bought the car from and they once again were getting nowhere. Decided I was tired of that and pulled our car from them and took to another dealer whom other owners recommended. They did there ride around a and could definitely hear the sound. They then had to put the ears to different areas on the car and submitted their findings to GM. GM responded Friday that the rear ended needed to be replaced. I hope this will conclude our episode with this car as we really like the C7 and want to enjoy it fully. Between the T-Tops that sounded like grinding metal, the hard shift, the shutter (Torque Converter) and once again hard shift lurch (replace fluid 3times) to now the rear end (warbling sound since about 300 miles). We might end up with a decent car.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:54 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Rf4jetmech

Well here is my update on my saga, We had it at the dealer who we bought the car from and they once again were getting nowhere. Decided I was tired of that and pulled our car from them and took to another dealer whom other owners recommended. They did there ride around a and could definitely hear the sound. They then had to put the ears to different areas on the car and submitted their findings to GM. GM responded Friday that the rear ended needed to be replaced. I hope this will conclude our episode with this car as we really like the C7 and want to enjoy it fully. Between the T-Tops that sounded like grinding metal, the hard shift, the shutter (Torque Converter) and once again hard shift lurch (replace fluid 3times) to now the rear end (warbling sound since about 300 miles). We might end up with a decent car.
Sounds like you found the right dealer, too bad you can t get a report and present to other guys.
Gl to you
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 AM
terry50
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

took the car to castrolia for the wabble rear end noise. they double flushed the transmission the last time. seems a little better. again, i havent had it up to at least 65 in 8th gear at 1500 rpm. that when it seems to make the most noise. never thought i would buy a new corvbette for the money i paid for it. and have problems like a used car. and the most problem we all have with these cars are. their are no recalls on the cars. ttyl
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rf4jetmech

I have found out that you have to be persistant or sometimes a AHOLE to get results. Good for you, hope this fixes you up.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

I have found out that you have to be persistant or sometimes a AHOLE to get results. Good for you, hope this fixes you up.

It is too bad that you sometimes have to be a butthead to get good service, but that is definitely true in some cases. But on the bright side, the C7 is a fabulous car and working through this junk is worth the effort in the long run, at least for most owners.
The following users liked this post:
terry50 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:02 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

My dealer replaced the rear axle and the warble was gone for a week and is back but bot as persistent.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:08 PM
dosamp
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
My dealer replaced the rear axle and the warble was gone for a week and is back but bot as persistent.
I’m one of those lucky Corvette owners to have three rear ends. The first was changed at 2K miles and the second was changed at 3K miles. The current rear end didn’t even make it to the freeway entrance before I heard the dreaded warble. I’ve taken the car for several runs since and I have only heard the sound three times, very mild. So I would agree, not as persistent on my current rear end.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:26 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by dosamp
I’m one of those lucky Corvette owners to have three rear ends. The first was changed at 2K miles and the second was changed at 3K miles. The current rear end didn’t even make it to the freeway entrance before I heard the dreaded warble. I’ve taken the car for several runs since and I have only heard the sound three times, very mild. So I would agree, not as persistent on my current rear end.
Are you referring to the differential?

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM
GraRay
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warble May be Gone !!!!

My 2017 A8 Stingray has had the "warble" since day one and now is at 5000 miles. The noise from the rear of the car was the same as posted in Strakes video and could be heard on smooth pavement at 1500 RPM on a slight uphill with light acceleration-usually in 6th or 7th gear but sometimes in 4th or 5th for a second or two. I took it to my dealer yesterday for oil change and to address the "warble" noise and expected a difficult time. The shop foreman recommended differential service to change the fluid and make sure it was topped up. I didn't expect this to work but figured it was worth a try. OMG it seems to have fixed my warble !!! Shop foreman said that my diff fluid level was down 1/2 quart. I'll keep forum posted if it comes back but right now I'm a very happy guy and maybe this is the issue for some "warbles".
Old 02-21-2018, 05:00 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by GraRay
My 2017 A8 Stingray has had the "warble" since day one and now is at 5000 miles. The noise from the rear of the car was the same as posted in Strakes video and could be heard on smooth pavement at 1500 RPM on a slight uphill with light acceleration-usually in 6th or 7th gear but sometimes in 4th or 5th for a second or two. I took it to my dealer yesterday for oil change and to address the "warble" noise and expected a difficult time. The shop foreman recommended differential service to change the fluid and make sure it was topped up. I didn't expect this to work but figured it was worth a try. OMG it seems to have fixed my warble !!! Shop foreman said that my diff fluid level was down 1/2 quart. I'll keep forum posted if it comes back but right now I'm a very happy guy and maybe this is the issue for some "warbles".
Glad to hear that. I never have had the warble on mine (yet. knock on wood), but when I took it in for service a few months ago there was a GM recommendation the change out the differential fluid. I did. I have 57,200 miles on mine. I did have what I perceived to be the warble during the period of about 37K to about 41K occasionally. But it was letting off the gas and coming to a stop around 1400 RPM as it slowed down . May not have been the Dif, but it sure sounded like Strakes. Went away and never returned.

Last edited by joemessman; 02-21-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GraRay
That is great i hope that was your issue. Time will tell, good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally