Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by IBuyGuyToys
I pm'd him last night.
Told him I had 2 cases closed on me and provided the info requested.

FYI:
First case opened in Oct. 2016 had two different customer care folks work on it.
Couldn't get any updates out of first one.

The second Rep. Sent me to another dealer and didn't hear any response from him after that.
Asked for updates both phone and email.

Second case was opened on 2/7/17 when I found out the first case had been closed and was called back by Rep. a day later saying she had to close the case (At least she got back to me).

She said the TAC (technical assistance center) said this is a "NORMAL NOISE" and the TAC is above them.

My dealer worked with TAC back in Oct. 2016 when they had my car for three days.

The service invoice I received shows that they heard the noise, couldn't find where it came from, and couldn't reproduce it in another similarly equipped vette.

I believe the big problem is that they close these invoices NO TROUBLE FOUND, rather than TROUBLE NOTFOUND.
Sorry to hear that the TAC is still in the dark, It looks like the info I'm passing on from a contact in Detroit is just not the hot ticket. Hopefully, a TSB will be out soon. In the meantime, I'm backing out of passing along any information for fear it may not be accurate.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
IBuyGuyToys
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
Sorry to hear that the TAC is still in the dark, It looks like the info I'm passing on from a contact in Detroit is just not the hot ticket. Hopefully, a TSB will be out soon. In the meantime, I'm backing out of passing along any information for fear it may not be accurate.
I think the problem is that customer service is calling the dealerships to find out what the issues are and my dealership was told back in October 2016 that this a "normal noise".

TAC has never gotten back to the dealerships to tell them any different and the dealerships are telling customer support what they were told months ago.
Back in Oct. 2016 nobody really knew what the issue was.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM
IBuyGuyToys
Heel & Toe

P.S. You've done a lot of good, hang in there and keep the INFO flowing, We need your support.
There are just to many places in GMs hierarchy for things to get screwed up, which I'm hoping is why this Customer Service Rep got assigned to work with us.
If I've been fooled again "shame on me", but I'm hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
The following users liked this post:
Highplains (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:36 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I've been waiting for someone to try the procedure outlined in the Customer Service post. Admittedly, most of us have been pretty well burned by CS but what is there to lose if you don't want to wait for the TSB?

By the way, Bruce. They don't just change the ring and pinion. It's a whole new diff with a new ring and pinion whose design was corrected by the supplier.

I agree, and I knew the entire diff. was or is to be changed out for the fix, sorry if i wasn't clear.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
darinvedwards
Cruising

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1/3 to a lemon

Sounds like you are 1/3 the way to a lemon claim. I don't know the specifics of your state, but in AL you take it in 3 times for the same issue and no correction is a lemon. They have already acknowledged the noise, so take it in 2 more times and let them know the problem isn't fixed. At that point most states have clear directions on how to send in the documentation and force a buyback. As BJones has said, the lemon laws are on OUR ace in the hole. I will be taking mine in this week. If I hear the noise on the way home, I am going to turn around it take it back for visit #2. I wouldn't expect a $12K Nissan Versa to sound like this, much less a $60K flagship sports car. I refuse to accept this as normal.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:24 PM
darinvedwards
Cruising

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Highplains

Highplains, as KC and the Sunshine Band would say, "Please don't go". Your wisdom has been immensely helpful to many of us.
The following 2 users liked this post by darinvedwards:
767guy (02-12-2017), Highplains (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM
IBuyGuyToys
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by darinvedwards
Sounds like you are 1/3 the way to a lemon claim. I don't know the specifics of your state, but in AL you take it in 3 times for the same issue and no correction is a lemon. They have already acknowledged the noise, so take it in 2 more times and let them know the problem isn't fixed. At that point most states have clear directions on how to send in the documentation and force a buyback. As BJones has said, the lemon laws are on OUR ace in the hole. I will be taking mine in this week. If I hear the noise on the way home, I am going to turn around it take it back for visit #2. I wouldn't expect a $12K Nissan Versa to sound like this, much less a $60K flagship sports car. I refuse to accept this as normal.
I've actually taken it in three times. Twice to my dealer and once to a different dealer and their Techs have all heard the noise, but they don't want to do anything about it.
I think the TAC has shut them down.
Now that the TAC knows what the problem is, they haven't gone back and notified the dealerships about this change of events.
So here We sit, We have a problem that can be fixed and dealers don't think we have a problem, because nobody is doing anything to inform them.
I really like the car I ordered and waited about 3 and a half months to get it.
Lemon law is my last resort, if I still fall in the guidelines here in OH.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by IBuyGuyToys
I've actually taken it in three times. Twice to my dealer and once to a different dealer and their Techs have all heard the noise, but they don't want to do anything about it.
I think the TAC has shut them down.
Now that the TAC knows what the problem is, they haven't gone back and notified the dealerships about this change of events.
So here We sit, We have a problem that can be fixed and dealers don't think we have a problem, because nobody is doing anything to inform them.
I really like the car I ordered and waited about 3 and a half months to get it.
Lemon law is my last resort, if I still fall in the guidelines here in OH.
Ii understand your frustration, so let me just share this. A few years back at Disney I saw the concept car and decided I was going to have one.

Had the warble at 1500 and the growl at 1000, had two TAC cases open, dealing with GM customer service was futile and the dealer was in the dark. Months into it, when GM and the dealer they told me they were going to trade me out at basically even up, I really thought we had a solution. Then the games started on the dealer end and GM customer service was again useless.

Sold my older vette to buy the C7 and got a loyalty discount. In the middle of it all GM customer service told me I was SOL because I bought my C7 when there was a loyalty discount, and when they were trading me out there wasn't so they told me to try to find a friend or family member who works at GM to get a discount. I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE. This statement was made by Quentin at the Executive Office.

Add in the ordeal with Onstar that went on for months, the dealer installed swirls and scratches and other dealer caused problems, the experience was solidly in the no fun column.

Bottom line, after all the bs and grief, the car is gone - no matter how much I loved it, loved driving it and had fun in it, dealing with an unethical company and terrible dealer was not worth it and that killed all the joy of ownership as well as leaving a very bitter taste.

The car got bought back, I took a minor beating but every day I swear it felt like an albatross fell from my neck.

There are other great cars out there and they make them every day.

Don't sweat it - life's too short. Lemon law it. I swear they make you think these things are rare as hens teeth - in reality they're overproduced and the first owner take a literal a$$ beating on depreciation.

Oh - hopefully you never need an alignment - take a look at the conversations on how the dealers have completely messed up alignments because they don't understand rear caster and GM has done a HORRIBLE job of educating the dealer network. The Corvette team builds in all this tech and it's sold through a chevy dealer who treats it and the customers like a malibu.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-12-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 AM
IBuyGuyToys
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Ii understand your frustration, so let me just share this. A few years back at Disney I saw the concept car and decided I was going to have one.

Had the warble at 1500 and the growl at 1000, had two TAC cases open, dealing with GM customer service was futile and the dealer was in the dark. Months into it, when GM and the dealer they told me they were going to trade me out at basically even up, I really thought we had a solution. Then the games started on the dealer end and GM customer service was again useless.

Sold my older vette to buy the C7 and got a loyalty discount. In the middle of it all GM customer service told me I was SOL because I bought my C7 when there was a loyalty discount, and when they were trading me out there wasn't so they told me to try to find a friend or family member who works at GM to get a discount. I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE. This statement was made by Quentin at the Executive Office.

Add in the ordeal with Onstar that went on for months, the dealer installed swirls and scratches and other dealer caused problems, the experience was solidly in the no fun column.

Bottom line, after all the bs and grief, the car is gone - no matter how much I loved it, loved driving it and had fun in it, dealing with an unethical company and terrible dealer was not worth it and that killed all the joy of ownership as well as leaving a very bitter taste.

The car got bought back, I took a minor beating but every day I swear it felt like an albatross fell from my neck.

There are other great cars out there and they make them every day.

Don't sweat it - life's too short. Lemon law it. I swear they make you think these things are rare as hens teeth - in reality they're overproduced and the first owner take a literal a$$ beating on depreciation.

Oh - hopefully you never need an alignment - take a look at the conversations on how the dealers have completely messed up alignments because they don't understand rear caster and GM has done a HORRIBLE job of educating the dealer network. The Corvette team builds in all this tech and it's sold through a chevy dealer who treats it and the customers like a malibu.
Ed,
That's what my sister says. " dump it they ain't worth your time and aggravation".
As far as I'm concerned it is just another product and if it doesn't work right it should be fixed, replaced, or your money refunded.
There is nothing special because it is a car. They have a big investment in the car, But our investment and risk is far higher for our net worth. And it appears all they have to say is " that is normal " to get around their responsibilities to their customers.

What did you end up getting to replace your C7.
walleyejack (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Highplains

So far he has the only fix out of all of us lol. Well my car goes in right now and I hope I am not wasting my time. If highplains can give us his vin the. The service guys will see wht was done. Highplains?
walleyejack (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Highplains
Pro

Originally Posted by Gunrun
So far he has the only fix out of all of us lol. Well my car goes in right now and I hope I am not wasting my time. If highplains can give us his vin the. The service guys will see wht was done. Highplains?
Plain and simple, Gunrun. They took out my bad diff and replaced it with a new one that works right.
walleyejack (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Highplains
Pro

Plain and simple, Gunrun. They took out my bad diff and replaced it with a new one that works right.
Hey Gunrun,

I have been in contact with Detroit. I was advised not to give out the part number (which another forum member gave me) or my VIN the reason being is that if the manufacturer makes even the slightest change, even a different bolt and washer, the diff part number changes which would screw things up for you and everyone else who might get new diffs and goes to check the number and finds that it's different than the one I put out on social media. Just let them change out diffs and drive out. Detroit will not tell me how many diffs they have replaced but says that it's "enough" that he's convinced that they have the fix.
The following 5 users liked this post by Highplains:
767guy (02-13-2017), joemessman (02-14-2017), Scruff Vette (02-13-2017), Strake (02-13-2017), walleyejack (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:23 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Hopefully they will do a recall and do the right thing.
Eff A Ford (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Hopefully they will do a recall and do the right thing.
Is it known how many and which cars have the bad diff? Is it all base A8 cars? If so, that is a bunch. Is the diff covered under the 5 yr drivetrain warranty?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Default Wasted time

Thought the car would stay at the dealer. Took the tech for a ride, heard the warble said we will email GM to see whAt they say. Car back home.

Last edited by Gunrun; 02-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Mine was replaced because of noise and now it's quite, but now has a lot of play in the ring and pinion gear. If I go around 28 mph and let of the gas and then accelerate I get a clunk noise which wasn't there before also can feel it when the car is warm and I shift between drive and reverse and back to drive. It's a A8 if I have the car in park and grab the rear tire I can rock the car back and forth a lot. Mechanic said it does seem to have more play then normal and if I'm not happy will order another differential. What a fiasco GM vendors can't make a differential that is quite and tight, I hate to have it torn apart again but I'm not going to live with a clunky $100,000 car.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
Mine was replaced because of noise and now it's quite, but now has a lot of play in the ring and pinion gear. If I go around 28 mph and let of the gas and then accelerate I get a clunk noise which wasn't there before also can feel it when the car is warm and I shift between drive and reverse and back to drive. It's a A8 if I have the car in park and grab the rear tire I can rock the car back and forth a lot. Mechanic said it does seem to have more play then normal and if I'm not happy will order another differential. What a fiasco GM vendors can't make a differential that is quite and tight, I hate to have it torn apart again but I'm not going to live with a clunky $100,000 car.
As the old saying goes, "If it ain't one thing, it's another." Good luck, I couldn't live with that myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 02-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Default Warble

I probably will just keep it. The warble is not that loud but I also don't want to make it worse.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrun
I probably will just keep it. The warble is not that loud but I also don't want to make it worse.

You are better off taking it home, could get damaged at dealership waiting on GM to tell them what to repair. Get it fixed, the warble will get worse if the ring and pinion is defective.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Highplains
Pro

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally