Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Take it in, the more cars are reported with this issue is proof there is a problem. Don't want to offend but don't wait for others to do the heavy lifting in hopes for a TSB, take it in and push for a fix. Highplaines suggested his got worse with miles and so did mine. If it's the ring and pinio it will only get worse. If GM approves you for a new differential you want have to take your car in until the diff. is in so limited wait time for repair. Good luck
I'm going to call the guy from GM on Monday and seek his assistance in getting a new diff for my local dealer. Last time I let them tear my car apart and then it sat for over 2 weeks waiting on parts. If the GM guy won't even admit he knows anything about the issue, then I'm back to square 1 just like others. I will definitely tell him about this forum thread. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Diff

Nobody has called me.2 weeks now. Liason , no email back. How did the both of you get them to do it?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How?

Originally Posted by IBuyGuyToys
Took car in morning of 2/23/17, they replaced the differential, got it back first thing this morning.
No more warble, only drove it about 10 miles .

Heard a faint sound around 1500 rpm when it was cold, but nothing like the dreaded "warble".

I'll keep the thread posted, as I put on miles .
how did you get them to chAnge it so fast??
Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I got a call from someone at GM who left a message saying he was in the "Executive Office". He left a phone number and a case number. My dealer has never heard of this issue so I am hoping the folks from GM can educate them before I take it in for diagnosis. At this point in time the noise is not very loud and I am tempted to wait it out until hopefully a TSB is issued and the parts are readily available. When my TC and fuel pump were replaced the car sat on a lift for a couple weeks waiting on authorization and parts. I am finding it hard to reproduce the sound so I am tempted to wait and see if gets louder. Have you other warblers found that the noise gets louder and more frequent with more miles? My lemon law opportunity in MD expires at 24 months which will be in July of this year. Advice? Thanks.
I first noticed mine a month or two after buying it and at 3k miles, and nearly a year, it seems to be the same volume.
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 AM
BENLO
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default '15, '16, & '17 warblers

February 26, 2017

i took delivery of a 2016, corvette stingray (base), with auto. Trans., on may 2, 2016. It warbled at 1500 r.p.m., from day #1, until wednesday, february 22, 2017, when a new rear differential, from non-stock production, was installed by my chevrolet dealership, along with new "f-carrier" and fluid. I have repeatedly tried to make my corvette warble, at all r.p.m.'s, including the culprit 1500 r.p.m., and the vehicle is totally silent. No more warble, at any r.p.m.! I could not be more pleased, as there is a noticeable difference in the vehicle's operating performance. My corvette is slippery smooth through all r.p.m.'s and 100% silent! My recommendation to fellow '15, '16, & '17 warblers, with base corvette stingrays and auto. Trans., is to have your local dealership contact chevrolet quality control and request assistance with having a new, non-stock, rear end differential provided to you / your dealership, for installation. My understanding is that the 5 - 10 customers prior to me are also completely satisfied with their new, non-stock, rear differentials.

I love my corvette! It is a pleasure to drive a flawless vehicle, once again.

Benlo

blocicero@yahoo.com
naples, florida 34114
The following 3 users liked this post by BENLO:
Rebel Yell (02-26-2017), rmorin1249 (02-26-2017), Scruff Vette (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by BENLO
February 26, 2017

i took delivery of a 2016, corvette stingray (base), with auto. Trans., on may 2, 2016. It warbled at 1500 r.p.m., from day #1, until wednesday, february 22, 2017, when a new rear differential, from non-stock production, was installed by my chevrolet dealership, along with new "f-carrier" and fluid. I have repeatedly tried to make my corvette warble, at all r.p.m.'s, including the culprit 1500 r.p.m., and the vehicle is totally silent. No more warble, at any r.p.m.! I could not be more pleased, as there is a noticeable difference in the vehicle's operating performance. My corvette is slippery smooth through all r.p.m.'s and 100% silent! My recommendation to fellow '15, '16, & '17 warblers, with base corvette stingrays and auto. Trans., is to have your local dealership contact chevrolet quality control and request assistance with having a new, non-stock, rear end differential provided to you / your dealership, for installation. My understanding is that the 5 - 10 customers prior to me are also completely satisfied with their new, non-stock, rear differentials.

Benlo

blocicero@yahoo.com
naples, florida 34114

Great news Benlo, glad GM stepped up and fixed your car.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

February 26, 2017

Benlo

blocicero@yahoo.com
naples, florida 34114
Congrats. I plan to copy this post and show it to the Service Manager at my dealership when I take my car in. Thanks for posting and happy motoring!
Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
I first noticed mine a month or two after buying it and at 3k miles, and nearly a year, it seems to be the same volume.
Interesting. I had not noticed mine until recently when I turned down the radio and listened carefully. If it stays the same, I'm not sure I would demand a new differential. Not sure what I should do.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 AM
IBuyGuyToys
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrun
how did you get them to chAnge it so fast??
Do an Advanced search in our warble thread, username: IbuyGuyToys. You'll see it hasn't been so fast.
Had problem since DEC. 9, 2015.
Found this thread in May 2016.
Progress to fix problem found in the above search.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

February 26, 2017

Benlo

blocicero@yahoo.com
naples, florida 34114
What do you mean by non stock part? It is still OEM?
bdona77 (06-30-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
What do you mean by non stock part? It is still OEM?
I think that means it wasn't part of the orig. OEM stock parts but the newer hopefully improved part that will be OEM. Is that clear as mud, LOL.
walleyejack (02-26-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 AM
BENLO
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rear differential clarification

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I think that means it wasn't part of the orig. OEM stock parts but the newer hopefully improved part that will be OEM. Is that clear as mud, LOL.
That is 100% correct! There is no sense in having a new rear differential installed, from the same old faulty production supply of rear differentials, as you will just have and recreate the same warble noise as before. There exists NEW rear differentials, from a NEW supply of stock OEM, not "contaminated" by the normal, old, supply, that remedies the warble noise. Chevrolet Quality Control has these "new and improved," non-warble, rear differentials, in limited supply, until they can catch up with customer demand. '15, '16, & '17 Corvette Stingray (base) owners, with auto. trans., need to request the NEW and improved version OEM rear differential, in order that your warble noise may be eliminated in its entirety.

BENLO
blocicero@yahoo.com
Naples, Florida 34114
Rebel Yell (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm just wondering if those who have has this sound have ever had the fluid checked in the rear? Mine was checked on delivery & it was 28 oz low!

I know they had this prob a yr or so back, but my tech says they're STILL coming in light from the factory, and questioning if this may be the root cause of the rear diff failing?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I'm just wondering if those who have has this sound have ever had the fluid checked in the rear? Mine was checked on delivery & it was 28 oz low!

I know they had this prob a yr or so back, but my tech says they're STILL coming in light from the factory, and questioning if this may be the root cause of the rear diff failing?
I have my friend, and I think all the rest have also. It's been a long, drawn out affair for all of us.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm talking checking the rear fluid level from the get go, not once you've heard the noise..
Like on or just after delivery with under 20 miles...
Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

I'm talking checking the rear fluid level from the get go, not once you've heard the noise..
Like on or just after delivery with under 20 miles...
Didn't have mine checked that soon. Had it checked at approx. 1500 miles, and it was OK. That was also before I knew what to call the sound coming from the car.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

My understanding from a contact at GM in Detroit is that the problem came from a problem with the ring and pinion mating. The mechanic who did mine as well as the GM field engineer that was there to test my car said that they could easily see the uneven wear when they took off the access plate on the diff. That and metal powder in the oil from the wear.
Rebel Yell (02-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 02-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Highplains
My understanding from a contact at GM in Detroit is that the problem came from a problem with the ring and pinion mating. The mechanic who did mine as well as the GM field engineer that was there to test my car said that they could easily see the uneven wear when they took off the access plate on the diff. That and metal powder in the oil from the wear.

That's good info to know. If they give me any grief surely I can convince them to remove the access plate.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
That's good info to know. If they give me any grief surely I can convince them to remove the access plate.
today C.R. gives the 2016 C7 a stay away rating ...big surprise right..
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
today C.R. gives the 2016 C7 a stay away rating ...big surprise right..
soley because of the diff ??
if so. pretty lame i would say.

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally