Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a crock. When my diff was replaced in 2016, not only was the Regional Engineer there, he drove with me in my car with testing equipment attached showing me on his computer exactly where the noise was coming from and at what RPM as well. He helped the dealership with the install and gave me a complete breakdown as to what they found when they took a look at the diff internals.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:23 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

wow, sorry to hear that. I had my rear replaced and it worked. I no longer have the problem. Hope they come to a satisfactory solution of your problem.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by my1stvette98
I wish my update was more positive but here is the final report.
After completing the following:
- Tranny flush
- Replacing Differential
- Replacing mufflers
- Replacing Flex Tube
The noise is still there. It is a little less obvious and it occurs at slightly higher speeds but it is still there. Here are my notes from my visit this week with Dealer
Regional Engineer Bob Cross coming to dealership to drive car. I drove to dealership to meet with Engineer once he drove car. I was told by Service Writer that it is against Policy to allow customer to meet with Engineer. I then asked for a meeting with Shop Foreman and Service Manager. Shop Foreman told me that after replacing Diff and Flex Pipe the noise is still there but it manifest itself at higher speeds and is not as pronounced. He went on to say that if he removes fuse 24 which controls the exhaust valves the car will not make the noise. He said that he will call me personally after He and Engineer complete test drive and discuss next steps. SF called and said that the Local Engineer Bob Cross and Corvette Brand Quality Manager Jeff Strausser had a conference call to discuss my issue. They said that 75% of the noise is gone and that they have done all they can do to eliminate the problem and whats left is classified as a characteristic of the car. . Picked up car and vehicle still makes noise but not as bad at somewhat higher speeds. My biggest disappointment is with GM not Dealer. In my opinion the Dealer went above and beyond call of duty to resolve issue. I love everything about this car except the noise. My plan now is to just enjoy the car while still trying to get GM to completely resolve this issue. I do have an extended Warr. on car which gives me a little piece of mind.

Thanks again to all that make this forum so great!
Lemon law through the BBB. Access their site listed in warranty booklet, plug in your history of attempted repair and BBB and GM will contact you and go from there. U have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Process worked really well for me. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (01-10-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

- Tranny flush
- Replacing Differential
- Replacing mufflers
- Replacing Flex Tube
The noise is still there. It is a little less obvious and it occurs at slightly higher speeds but it is still there. Here are my notes from my visit this week with Dealer
Regional Engineer Bob Cross coming to dealership to drive car. I drove to dealership to meet with Engineer once he drove car. I was told by Service Writer that it is against Policy to allow customer to meet with Engineer. I then asked for a meeting with Shop Foreman and Service Manager. Shop Foreman told me that after replacing Diff and Flex Pipe the noise is still there but it manifest itself at higher speeds and is not as pronounced. He went on to say that if he removes fuse 24 which controls the exhaust valves the car will not make the noise. He said that he will call me personally after He and Engineer complete test drive and discuss next steps. SF called and said that the Local Engineer Bob Cross and Corvette Brand Quality Manager Jeff Strausser had a conference call to discuss my issue. They said that 75% of the noise is gone and that they have done all they can do to eliminate the problem and whats left is classified as a characteristic of the car. . Picked up car and vehicle still makes noise but not as bad at somewhat higher speeds. My biggest disappointment is with GM not Dealer. In my opinion the Dealer went above and beyond call of duty to resolve issue. I love everything about this car except the noise. My plan now is to just enjoy the car while still trying to get GM to completely resolve this issue. I do have an extended Warr. on car which gives me a little piece of mind.

My experience with GM was abysmal - Worst customer service EVER. Thank God it got bought back. The dealer - Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet in Charlotte - was horrendous as well. I wrote it off as a very expensive rental.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-03-2019 at 07:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
Highplains (02-03-2019), my1stvette98 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 PM
ojulian
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
My experience with GM was abysmal - Worst customer service EVER. Thank God it got bought back. The dealer - Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet in Charlotte - was horrendous as well. I wrote it off as a very expensive rental.
Hello Ed- I have 2016 A8 Base model with both shudder and Warble. The A8 shudder was fixed with triple flush. Warble sound coming from the rear differential went away by changing the fluid. The factory fluid is too watery. I replaced fluid with 3 quarts of Mobil 1 LS 75w140. After changing, I have been trying to provoke the warble sound for the last 200 miles without success. Try it. It might work for you.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default My warble was fixed 2 years ago 2016 base . Warble was between 2000-3000 rpm

CUSTOMER STATES NOISE WHEN DRIVING AT 1500 RPMS REGARDLESS OF GEAR
CC
SEAL REPLACED (DIFF P/N 84055661)
3032360 Differential Replacement INSTAL SOP 6.3LH

PARTS QTY FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION

1 23255926 Carrier 5.505 N Warranty
3 88862624 Fluid 8.800 N Warranty
1 24265798 Seal 4.318 Y Warranty
Old 02-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Can you record the sound of your warble?

- Tranny flush
- Replacing Differential
- Replacing mufflers
- Replacing Flex Tube

This is at higher rpms?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Akcajunz
Pro

Received 378 Likes on 166 Posts

I too have a success story thanks to "G35Flyer" for posting his work order from his dealer. I took it to my dealer and they told me that they would call GM and see what they recommended. They removed the left side diff cover and said that an excessive amount of metal was floating around the differential. (i wish I could have got pics of that) this is even listed on the work order about the excessive metal, Long story short, GM told them they are well aware of the "Warble" issue and to order an entire differential and replace it. About a week and a half later, I picked up my 2017 Stingray and I have put about 750 miles on it, mostly around town trying to get the Warble to raise its ugly head and so far it has not. I dont want to say its gone so soon, but it is not there at the present time. I am hoping this nightmare has finally ended! I'll post a copy of my work order/receipt later when I can scan it. Good luck to everyone having this dreaded issue!
Strake (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:37 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

People who don't have the warble issue have observed metallic diff oil....almost everyone who changed theirs have observed this, even on new cars with less than 1000 miles on them.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Akcajunz
Pro

Originally Posted by ersatz928
People who don't have the warble issue have observed metallic diff oil....almost everyone who changed theirs have observed this, even on new cars with less than 1000 miles on them.
Yes, some metal in the diff oil is normal after a break in...But I am merely going off what the Vette Tech at my dealership said that there was "excessive" metal in the oil. I did not have a chance to see this to confirm like I would have liked to, but I trust his judgement. Ill post a copy of my work order/receipt later to show what was done to my Stingray that has, up to this point, gotten rid of the warble noise.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Akcajunz
Yes, some metal in the diff oil is normal after a break in...But I am merely going off what the Vette Tech at my dealership said that there was "excessive" metal in the oil. I did not have a chance to see this to confirm like I would have liked to, but I trust his judgement. Ill post a copy of my work order/receipt later to show what was done to my Stingray that has, up to this point, gotten rid of the warble noise.
Great to hear your dealer took care of you, hope u stay Warble free. So instead of just replacing diff. Cover they changed entire diff. Interesting.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Yea, this is very confusing , Some of us only had their covers replaced others of us had the whole rear ends replaced. Makes no since to me.
gbo680 (10-23-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

My dealer replaced some parts inside my left axle, bushings, etc. and my warble went away. Sounds like either GM has changed their guidance or some dealers have chosen to take a different approach.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Default Warble

Just another example of how fickled GM is, crazy but as long as the Warble is gone who cares.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Akcajunz
Pro

I too have a success story thanks to "G35Flyer" for posting his work order from his dealer. I took it to my dealer and they told me that they would call GM and see what they recommended. They removed the left side diff cover and said that an excessive amount of metal was floating around the differential. (i wish I could have got pics of that) this is even listed on the work order about the excessive metal, Long story short, GM told them they are well aware of the "Warble" issue and to order an entire differential and replace it. About a week and a half later, I picked up my 2017 Stingray and I have put about 750 miles on it, mostly around town trying to get the Warble to raise its ugly head and so far it has not. I dont want to say its gone so soon, but it is not there at the present time. I am hoping this nightmare has finally ended! I'll post a copy of my work order/receipt later when I can scan it. Good luck to everyone having this dreaded issue!

As Promised, here is the work order from my dealership service dept showing what they did to fix the warble noise. Currently warble free after 900 miles with the new differential.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM
arturobandini
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Problem Solved

At about 1700 miles on my 2019 I started getting a warble sound. It may be what you’re describing. It sounded like it was coming from the rear. After a long diagnosis period at the dealer they said it was the differential. The tech recorded the sound using a Pico device and played it for a GM tech, who diagnosed it right away and said it was a rare but known issue. They replaced the differential and the sound went away. The issue does not affect performance; it just makes a sound, which is annoying and not normal. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Akcajunz
Pro

Originally Posted by arturobandini
At about 1700 miles on my 2019 I started getting a warble sound. It may be what you’re describing. It sounded like it was coming from the rear. After a long diagnosis period at the dealer they said it was the differential. The tech recorded the sound using a Pico device and played it for a GM tech, who diagnosed it right away and said it was a rare but known issue. They replaced the differential and the sound went away. The issue does not affect performance; it just makes a sound, which is annoying and not normal. Hope this helps.
By the length of this thread alone, I would not call this a "Rare" issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

By the length of this thread alone, I would not call this a "Rare" issue.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 AM
ojulian
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arturobandini
Your findings and interactions with dealer are correct. However the root cause of issue is a retaining bushing vibrating inside the side differential covers. Most notoriously in the drivers side. As I have mentioned before, the low oil viscosity of the factory fill “fish oil” apparently does not provide sufficient cushioning / support to the bushing, letting it vibrate under certain load conditions. I resolved the “warble” by draining the fluid in the differential and refilling with exactly 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic LS gear oil at 75w140. Apparently I caught it early enough to avoid permanent damage to the bushing. I hope this helps any other corvette owner with this issue. Thanks!

Last edited by ojulian; 02-06-2019 at 01:32 AM.
my1stvette98 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by ojulian

Your findings and interactions with dealer are correct. However the root cause of issue is a retaining bushing vibrating inside the side differential covers. Most notoriously in the drivers side. As I have mentioned before, the low oil viscosity of the factory fill “fish oil” apparently does not provide sufficient cushioning / support to the bushing, letting it vibrate under certain load conditions. I resolved the “warble” by draining the fluid in the differential and refilling with exactly 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic LS gear oil at 75w140. Apparently I caught it early enough to avoid permanent damage to the bushing. I hope this helps any other corvette owner with this issue. Thanks!

It is interesting that the drivers side is usually the defective side as the carrier cover for both sides is the same part number.

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally