Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the verge of being Supercharged....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

One guy that blew his engine most likely because it leaned out due to bad tuning does not mean all C7's that are supercharged are going to turn into grenades. Check out the forced induction section for plenty of counter examples of reliable supercharging.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:33 PM
skvette
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 67 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

No one mentioned the Edelbrock E-force with a drive train warranty. I have had mine for 6 months with no issues. Professionally installed with Edelbrock tune. Love the performance boost!!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Could it blow, yes.

Is that fact supported by most on here, no.

Just under 10K supercharged and I drive the **** out of my car. It's tuned well and I keep an eye on it.

Good gas, test the meth every time I get in it, change the oil on a pretty short schedule due to contamination.

I don't suspect I have to start worrying about it until 30+ thousand miles. Hard run LS/LT engines on track go about 200-300 hours before needing a rebuild or failing.

Drive the car hard, short shift 500 or so RPM, and it should last quite a long time.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by C7GrandSport
One guy that blew his engine most likely because it leaned out due to bad tuning does not mean all C7's that are supercharged are going to turn into grenades. Check out the forced induction section for plenty of counter examples of reliable supercharging.

This is essentially what is behind my caveats in this thread.

Nothing wrong with supercharging. Thought about doing it myself many times (the Edelbrock E-Force is a nice, nice unit), but I tend to view my Corvettes as GT cruisers, not something I feel the itch to supercharge, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with wanting more HP

However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two, you can't have all three.

Supercharging done right involves a lot of things to do it and keep the car reliable.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

i supercharged mine myself..took my time and was pretty easy install...
turned 200 miles today so far 0 issues
absolutley love the sound of the procharger and the heads it turns
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
It also overheats and is significantly more expensive. I'd rather mod my Stingray personally.
You're right, but if the Z06 overheats on the track, my guess is that most aftermarket SC LT1s also will overheat if they come with a similar amount of power. It seems unlikely to me that the aftermarket will be able to do what GM's engineers couldn't here... Especially for less money than it would cost to upgrade to a Z06.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 04-11-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

Ten years ago when I took apart a brand new Porsche 997S and spent a year and a half rebuilding it (and added a supercharger), people told me I was crazy. They were not far off with that statement, but it was supposed to me my last Porsche (it was not) and I wanted something so unique that it would be 1 of 1. The car has been very reliable (it goes through a major shakedown every spring when it comes out of storage. I offer you this,some advise from someone with about 45 years of doing modifications to cars. First if you cant afford to be without warranty, don't to anything that would void it. Sometimes you think more power means more excitement, well it can but most people spend more time upgrading the car than the operator. Turn off you traction controls and see how much fun the car can be, and test yourself and your skills as a driver. I am way past my hot rod years and yes I still like to do a few things to every car I buy, but the C7 has way more power than you could ever use on the street (and keep your license), so I have done all I (AFE CAI intune & throttle booster) need to with my car. Maybe if it was ten years ago I would not be saying this, I don't know if it is because I am older and wiser, or just older and realizing my limitations as a driver.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Warranty!

Originally Posted by rpond171
After long consideration think I'm pulling the trigger on a A&A supercharger for my 14 c7. Done the research and feel great about installer, but still a bit nervous.. Warranty concerns, long term SC effect on car.. Not being a gear head Kinda outside my comfort zone.. I'm sure I will be feeling great after the install and cruising down the street..

Rick
I think that part of the question should be, Will anything happen to the drive train, from engine to rear tires, that would require a repair, REGARDLESS OF BEING MODDED OR NOT.

Being modded will probably void the GM warranty.

Just a thought, but myself, I would wait until the warranty is expired.

Why not pick up a gently used Z06?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boucherman
I think that part of the question should be, Will anything happen to the drive train, from engine to rear tires, that would require a repair, REGARDLESS OF BEING MODDED OR NOT.

Being modded will probably void the GM warranty.

Just a thought, but myself, I would wait until the warranty is expired.

Why not pick up a gently used Z06?
While I agree with the bolded, it would appear to me that the OP is trying to make his current car his own.

As I said, nothing wrong with adding a supercharger to your C7 as long as you are prepared to do the supporting modifications to do it the right way so that you properly mitigate or even eliminate the chance of destroying your engine or other driveline items.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I am thinking about a more passive upgrade like long tubes and a good tune. Not as extreme as SC, but good bang for the buck and not mechanically intrusive.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
You're right, but if the Z06 overheats on the track, my guess is that most aftermarket SC LT1s also will overheat if they come with a similar amount of power. It seems unlikely to me that the aftermarket will be able to do what GM's engineers couldn't here... Especially for less money than it would cost to upgrade to a Z06.

The aftermarket will almost always have a better solution.

No regulation, no EPA, nothing regulatory. OEM's goal is to get the car to run as hot as possible, in the shortest period of time from startup, without overheating. That is usually the generic target when they start to make emissions.

I bet most cars will not pass start up emissions with a 160 degree T-stat, something a aftermarket vendor doesn't need to concern themselves with.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-11-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

There are some SC'ers that are excellent out there and I prefer ECS the best. But, in reality, if you have any doubts I'd advise you to not do it. With all of them you'll be picking up almost 200 more HP and you better learn how to handle it.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
There are some SC'ers that are excellent out there and I prefer ECS the best. But, in reality, if you have any doubts I'd advise you to not do it. With all of them you'll be picking up almost 200 more HP and you better learn how to handle it.
Some people can't handle the horsepower they have in a base C7 Stingray, much less the 650 HP Z06.

Like this guy:

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Don't forget Callaway...long time relationship with GM. Quality stuff.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
This.
That.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
It also overheats and is significantly more expensive. I'd rather mod my Stingray personally.
This refrain is overplayed. Not without some truth, to be sure, but waaaay overplayed. There is a road course thread in the C7 Z06 section of guys track times and performance at tracks all over the U.S. With the exception of a couple pretty hot shoe drivers pushing hard on hot days, the thread is replete with fast times on tracks all over with no issues whatsoever.

And on the street, you'll never overheat one of them - could get yourself thrown in jail or killed, but overheating will not be an issue.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
Made me think of this

I say do it. You only live once and I've never seen a brinks truck following a hearse!
I'm not trying to down the OP's desire to install a supercharger on his car.

His car, his money.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't offer the caveats that I and others have offered to the OP. Better he spend the money up front to have the install done right and in a way that maximizes his enjoyment of the modification and minimizes all that can go wrong then for him to post up how his engine blew up because he didn't take the time and spend the money to avoid such things.

If you are concerned about warranty, as the OP appears to be, then recommending he get a Z06 vs. putting an A&A supercharger on his current car is sound advice, not being a downer.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable.

Pick two, you can't have all three.

Get notified of new replies

To On the verge of being Supercharged....

Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM
ARC7TIC
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all in the tune.

Given a z06 runs over 30k more expensive than a z51, I would bet that is out of the picture given the price tag for the upgrade.

If you want a warranty with more power, look at the eforce. You can get them with 3 year powertrain warranty.

However, you can run safe with any setup.

Last edited by ARC7TIC; 04-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I agree it's in the tune. I had my Meth controller go heywire when I used too small a vacuum line to the controller after putting in an FSP breather catch can. The car would fall flat on its face when trying to go into boost. The tune protected me from possibly grenading my motor (Thanks ECS).

I'm running close to 700 RWHP and other than my screw up, I have not had any issues.

For those saying GM will void your warranty... If the dealer needs to send ECM data to GM you are scewed if modified. If they don't, they decide whether to fix under warranty. Keep in mind the dealer wants to make money. I have had a "Service Rear Axle" repaired under warranty and my car is obviously modified. I also passed inspection and emissions as I had no codes. My LT's are easy to see but they were not even questioned. If your dealer is a di*k, he can make having a modified car a PITA for you. If you have a dealer who wants to provide great customer service mods are not always a problem unless GM wants the ECM data before authorizing a repair.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I have had an Edelbrock on my C7 for over a year. No problems.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-11-2016)

Quick Reply: On the verge of being Supercharged....