Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the verge of being Supercharged....

Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I much prefer the Edelbrock Superchargers for the C7.

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I have had an Edelbrock on my C7 for over a year. No problems.
I much prefer the Edelbrock Superchargers for the C7. We've done a bunch and they are much more reliable in my opinion.

Tons of power down low, more than enough up top (much more than the tires can handle) and never an issue or tossed belt... NOTHING.

For those of you wanting 8 second passes... It's not for you. For a really reliable setup that's awesome to drive and great

on fuel.... The E-Force should be your choice.

We love them here.
Chuck CoW
Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Hey there Matt....

Originally Posted by matt3310
I've got a 14 auto that I supercharged. With a proper tune it will drive like stock. I've had mine on for several thousand miles and no issues at all. My car is stock other than the supercharger. I went with the a&a kit. 4" pulley.
I had a local tuner tune it, but didn't care for his tune too much, so I had Chuck cow retune it. Now it runs amazing and is as reliable as stock.

Hey there Matt.... Don't forget to mention that we REMOTELY tuned it with our AutoCal device.

Don't forget the CoW BOOSTER! either.

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
I much prefer the Edelbrock Superchargers for the C7. We've done a bunch and they are much more reliable in my opinion.

Tons of power down low, more than enough up top (much more than the tires can handle) and never an issue or tossed belt... NOTHING.

For those of you wanting 8 second passes... It's not for you. For a really reliable setup that's awesome to drive and great

on fuel.... The E-Force should be your choice.

We love them here.
Chuck CoW
Dont agree..many centrificals running well and very reliable
I like to see an eforce do what my procharger kit did 1st time out on low boost ,runs cool,drives stock and 0 issues and on top of it way cool sound...
Sounds like a selling gig

Last edited by blown81bu; 04-12-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by blown81bu
I like to see an eforce do what my procharger kit did 1st time out on low boost ,runs cool,drives stock and 0 issues and on top of it way cool sound...
https://youtu.be/bV6yeAXQmdg
The following users liked this post:
blown81bu (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Great run. BTW it's nice to see ATCO got rid of that stupid and scary archway they used to have.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
It also overheats and is significantly more expensive. I'd rather mod my Stingray personally.
did you know the least bought corvette package was a 1lt with no Z51 ?

That means most people buying a NEW stingray are probably spending over 60k.

mine was 67k, a base Z06 is LIKE 80-85k. So for many people its going to cost probably 15-20k more to get into a Z.

A supercharger is like what 8k ? Thats also if you self install it, and thats also if you plan on no other mods. You think stock rubber is enough ? The Z comes with real rubber, real rim (wide), standard magnetic ride.

So the difference is really like 10k all said and done.

I also would sleep better at night knowing i can drive my 650HP everyday with GM covering my repairs. These corvettes are not the most reliable cars either.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 04-12-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Another point i will make with getting a Z06.

No aftermarket warranty can do what GM does. You can pull into any chevy dealership, get a rental car, and your car is fixed few days later. You are at the mercy of the aftermarket shop or tuner if you run into problems. You have to get your car to the shop or you gotta wait for parts/go through hassle phone calls etc...

I had a heavily modded LS3 camaro, ya there are days when i loved it. Overall the thing gave me more stress knowing that i had to take extra care, and worry about being to far from my shop in case i needed repairs.

If you need a reliable car that you plan on owning for years, and putting miles on, do not do heavy mods. If you just want a toy and you dont care if one day you might run into some hassle, go aftermarket.

I had the most fun with my camaro when it was lightly modded.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 04-12-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
Another point i will make with getting a Z06.

No aftermarket warranty can do what GM does. You can pull into any chevy dealership, get a rental car, and your car is fixed few days later. You are at the mercy of the aftermarket shop or tuner if you run into problems. You have to get your car to the shop or you gotta wait for parts/go through hassle phone calls etc...

I had a heavily modded LS3 camaro, ya there are days when i loved it. Overall the thing gave me more stress knowing that i had to take extra care, and worry about being to far from my shop in case i needed repairs.

If you need a reliable car that you plan on owning for years, and putting miles on, do not do heavy mods. If you just want a toy and you dont care if one day you might run into some hassle, go aftermarket.

I had the most fun with my camaro when it was lightly modded.
Mike, well said. I have LG Super Pro's, ported intake and TB, and AFE with a professional tune. The car really rips and sounds amazing. Lightly modded is a good option for the LT1 for sure. My C6 had an A & A kit with cam and LT's and 1st and 2nd gears would never hook...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

mine was 67k, a base Z06 is LIKE 80-85k. So for many people its going to cost probably 15-20k more to get into a Z.

A supercharger is like what 8k ? Thats also if you self install it, and thats also if you plan on no other mods. You think stock rubber is enough ? The Z comes with real rubber, real rim (wide), standard magnetic ride.

I also would sleep better at night knowing i can drive my 650HP everyday with GM covering my repairs. These corvettes are not the most reliable cars either.
Actually, I have a 1LT with ECS Novi 1500, meth kit, sport cup 305's on the rear, FSP catch can and tune by ECS. Im all in for $ 63,500, thats like 20 K less, But I totally agree with the warranty issue.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdarc1
Actually, I have a 1LT with ECS Novi 1500, meth kit, sport cup 305's on the rear, FSP catch can and tune by ECS. Im all in for $ 63,500, thats like 20 K less, But I totally agree with the warranty issue.
Like i said. If you look at the statistics posted here most people are not buying a completely base car.

And a lot of people who do supercharge the car also on average have thousands spend on rims, exhaust, suspension parts etc...

Ya going with a base stingray, and supercharging it will always be cheaper. I personally put less value on money, and more value on stress. (something most people probably cant do)

I like the idea that i can drive my corvette hard everyday, and if ANYTHING happens GM has my back. Helps me sleep better at night

Last edited by MikeLsx; 04-13-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by skvette
No one mentioned the Edelbrock E-force with a drive train warranty. I have had mine for 6 months with no issues. Professionally installed with Edelbrock tune. Love the performance boost!!
I agree with skvette, edelbrock eforce is a really nice option. The install is super easy and the instructions are super detailed. Edelbrock error's on the safe side bigtime so you should feel really comfortable with their unit's. Their tune they give you with the unit is really good as well and again it is done with safety in mind so.
I did one on my 2016 and the only issue I had was the tune, it took a couple weeks to get it done "BUT" that was because I was the first guy to do one on a 2016 and they needed my stock tune to make sure it was good.
Again they were being super safe and wanted to error on the safe side and get the tune done right the first time. Which I was totally OK with.
here's my install thread below. The install will take a decent tech about a 7-10 hour total time start to finish. I have my own lift and was an tech for 20 years so it only took my roughly 5 hours since I have all the tools and a lift helps to get the heat exchanger in but not needed.
just another option if you are interested but I also like the A&A guys stuff as well. be safe, paul
)))INSTALL THREAD BELOW(((
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-begins.html

Last edited by HANNY; 04-13-2016 at 03:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HANNY:
Chemdawg99 (04-13-2016), Chuck CoW (04-14-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Like i said. If you look at the statistics posted here most people are not buying a completely base car.

And a lot of people who do supercharge the car also on average have thousands spend on rims, exhaust, suspension parts etc...

Ya going with a base stingray, and supercharging it will always be cheaper. I personally put less value on money, and more value on stress. (something most people probably cant do)

I like the idea that i can drive my corvette hard everyday, and if ANYTHING happens GM has my back. Helps me sleep better at night
@bolded...

This is true, but this forum, at least most of the ones who post here on the regular, are not representative of the whole of folks who buy Corvettes.

Most Corvette owners are like me, very happy with car they bought stock, sans a few aesthetic modifications here or there to make the car their own. Obviously, there are more than enough Corvette owners who also like to modify for power and know what they want and how they want it.

Speaking for myself, throughout this thread I've never said anything to the effect that "GM will have my back" for anything. GM is first and foremost a business. Since I plan to keep my car stock (stock power is more than enough for me), I would hope that should anything go "boom" during the warranty period that it would be covered per the legal agreement between me and GM. I realize you are being somewhat facetious with that comment, but I thought I'd address it anyway as this is a point most people wanting to have it both ways (modify with impunity, but want the factory warranty honored) never seem to understand which leads to the debates about warranties.

What has been said in the form of many caveats on this is that if you are concerned about your factory warranty, then you probably shouldn't modify the car in a way that would void that warranty in any way, shape, or form.

Period.

If you wish to supercharge your Stingray vs. buying a Z06, that's cool too. Very cool.

My point (again, speaking for myself only here) is that there is more to supercharging a car than merely slapping one on it and calling it a day.

I always point people to England Green's (a forum vendor and a really cool dude) primer on modifying:

http://www.englandgreen.com/blog/mod...ns-primer.html

Corvette Modifications Primer : A few things to consider if you wish to modify your Corvette for High Performance.

So you want to modify your C6 or C5 Corvette for high performance. Here are some things that you should consider first.

What is your driving style? Are you a drag racer? Autocross? Road racer? Weekend warrior? Show car? Stoplight to stoplight? Or simply highway fun? Or a combination of all or some of these choices?

How you drive and enjoy your Corvette will directly determine what modification you should make to your Corvette.

Nothing is free. Every modification you make to your stock Corvette will involve some kind of compromise. You are not going to make 800 rear wheel horsepower and get 30 miles per gallon with a whisper quiet exhaust as well as drive and idle like stock. That is not going to happen.

The trick is to be totally honest with yourself and decide what compromises you can live with and which ones you cannot. For example, if you want to achieve 500rwhp naturally aspirated, expect a big cam with a loping idle. Expect to lose some fuel efficiency. Expect your Corvette to not drive like stock.

You can start with simple bolt-ons like an aftermarket air filter, long tube headers and cat-back exhaust system. The next logical step is a camshaft only upgrade or heads and camshaft. Along with the bolt-ons, you can be comfortably at the 425-450rwhp range, all naturally aspirated. Or you could bypass the bolt-ons and simply have a supercharger or twin turbocharger system installed. An alternative to bolt-on might be rear gears (along with a stall converter for the automatics). Gears can also compliment your other modifications.

It all depends on what you wish to achieve.

As you increase the stock Corvette from it's 300-340rwhp (C5-C6) or 435rwhp (C6 Z06) to circa 550rwhp on the stock bottom end, expect to have to upgrade other aspects of your drivetrain, cooling and suspension. Remember, nothing is free.

Beyond 550rwhp, we strongly recommend a forged engine as you will be on borrowed time. At this point, your clutch/stall converter will have to be upgraded along with torque tube connectors, transmission and differential. Cooling must be addressed as well as the always overlooked and often forgotten bulletproof fuel system. At this point, methanol injection for boosted applications is almost mandatory. Suspension, brakes, wheels and tyres should also be seriously addressed, along with additional safety systems like a 6 point or better rollcage and so on. A Corvette that is very fast is no fun if it also does not handle and stop.

High performance is not a cheap hobby and it is best to be very aware of this fact going in so you do not encounter any surprises.

But no matter what your budget, we can tailor a system to suit your current and future needs. So please drop us a line or give us a call to discuss your Generation 5 & 6 Corvette high performance needs.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:43 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

centrie's are a great option no doubt about that when they are bought with the right brand and tuned correctly by a legit vendor (we know who those guys are and the brand they sell)
The eforce will do whatever you want but most guys don't ever drop pulley sizes and the boost level is only around 8lb's since To go above 10 "safely" you are looking at a meth add on or swap the cam out to get more fuel (off the cam lobe which runs the mechanical pump)
Some guys don't like meth idea (since it has to be filled up and its another fail point) or swapping out the cam (sounds spooky to a lot of guys or is "TOO" intrusive)
Edelbrock unit is legit, tight setup, reliable, easy install, Pretty and makes too much power for the street really,,,,,, just blows the stock tires loose at any speed under 80 (the one I did on my old C6 blew the tires loose as well under 80 and I had Nittos on it).
Either way you go if its a legit vendor for the centri option or edelbrock you will be plenty content for the street. paul
The following users liked this post:
Chemdawg99 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HANNY
centrie's are a great option no doubt about that when they are bought with the right brand and tuned correctly by a legit vendor (we know who those guys are and the brand they sell)
The eforce will do whatever you want but most guys don't ever drop pulley sizes and the boost level is only around 8lb's since To go above 10 "safely" you are looking at a meth add on or swap the cam out to get more fuel (off the cam lobe which runs the mechanical pump)
Some guys don't like meth idea (since it has to be filled up and its another fail point) or swapping out the cam (sounds spooky to a lot of guys or is "TOO" intrusive)
Edelbrock unit is legit, tight setup, reliable, easy install, Pretty and makes too much power for the street really,,,,,, just blows the stock tires loose at any speed under 80 (the one I did on my old C6 blew the tires loose as well under 80 and I had Nittos on it).
Either way you go if its a legit vendor for the centri option or edelbrock you will be plenty content for the street. paul
Good info.

Clearly you have "been there, done that" knowledge
Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a A&A kit. I love it and have no complaints. That said I am some what of a gear head and am one of "those guys" that never have enough power. If you are not one to work on your own stuff I would highly recommend a edelbrock or magnacharger. They are as close to OEM as you can get and have 0 maintaince. I had a magnacharger that I put 130k miles on and literally only changed the oil in it one time based on their recommendation and had 0 drivetrain issues. They all are very reliable and I am sure there are plenty 100k mile centri's running around also. With the top mount Superchargers they are so similar to OEM such as a Zl1, Ctsv, Zr1 ect they could be taken to the dealer to be worked on if need be its just not going to be free. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealership as one of their Corvette specialist and works on all sorts of crazy modified vettes and Camaros. He has actually installed multiple Superchargers thru the dealership and has even installed cams for customers. I think for the most part most failures are self induced. If you drive like a lunatic things will break supercharged or not. If you treat the car well the majority will have no problems.

I'm not saying go to a dealership to have mods done. They won't tune anything or have any aftermarket parts. I'm just saying don't be scared of supercharging it's not as uncommon as you may think.

Last edited by Silverboost; 04-13-2016 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silverboost:
Chemdawg99 (04-13-2016), jdarc1 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

My 2LT Z51 with MRC, NPP, and some other stuff was 62K OTD.

My Supercharger, installed with tune was $6,100 and then I added on meth for another $1100 including install.

Yes the stock rubber is enough at 720hp, see if the stock rubber on a Z06 is enough with 600ft lbs of torque at 2000rpm.

That is the reason I did a centrifical over a PD blower, traction.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-13-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Just out of curiosity, are you just installing a supercharger or are you doing supporting mods (upgraded fuel pump, forged pistons, h/c, etc.)?

I realize that the engine can take a certain amount of boost and the driveline can handle a certain amount of increased horsepower, but I think just adding a supercharger (assumption based on the lack of detail in your post) is going to turn your car into a ticking time bomb.
A basic centri blower from ECS, A&A etc tuned correctly the car can handle just fine. 7 or 8 psi will put the car around 575ish. If tuned by a reputable tuner familiar with di I would not worry.

My early model 14 was one of the first supercharged cars out there. At around 3000 miles I did a ECS 1500 and a month later a meth kit which had me around 600rwhp. Meth is a great safeguard with a sc. Anything over 700 and at least pistons are recommended. My next level mi went up to was around 840, at that time I did a 416 kit with all forged internals.

My next power level was 1018.

My next power level was 1120.

With the major upgrades we just did my car just hit the Dyno at 1401 rwhp this week. With the race tune on C85 we should be close to 1500.

I am at 18k miles now. There are tons of supercharged C7s out there. Have a few blown up? Of course. There a a bunch of stock C7s with blown motors out there. A blower properly installed, and properly tuned, should be very reliable. It's when you start pushing things like too much timing is what can cause the most harm. These cars do not like nearly as much timing as the C6s do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motohead279:
Chemdawg99 (04-14-2016), Chuck CoW (04-14-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To On the verge of being Supercharged....

Old 04-14-2016, 02:33 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

https://youtu.be/bV6yeAXQmdg
100% agree. Of course an Edelbrock distributer will say it's the best. Any PD blower is going to suffer from some amount of heat soak. If you don't race it and still want some kind of warranty it is a good option.

Just keep 2 things in mind with the warranty. First, it must be installed by an approved Edelbrock installer and the warranty is only good for 3 years starting on the date you purchased your car, not the date when the blower was installed. The warranty also ends at 36k miles no matter how many miles are on the car at the time of installation.

I'm at 696 RWHP with my ECS 1500. No issues at all. The PD blower is great for instant power at any RPM. The ECS starts boost at about 2500 under hard acceleration. This makes getting traction off the line easier.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:17 PM
rpond171
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpond171
After long consideration think I'm pulling the trigger on a A&A supercharger for my 14 c7. Done the research and feel great about installer, but still a bit nervous.. Warranty concerns, long term SC effect on car.. Not being a gear head Kinda outside my comfort zone.. I'm sure I will be feeling great after the install and cruising down the street..

Rick
Like to thank everyone for their comments!!!!

The nervousness is over I pulled the trigger today and ordered the A&A V3 Si (black) supercharger with a 3.8 pulley. I did the research I feel extremely comfortable with the product and the installer (Carlyle Racing). Should be just under 600 to the wheel when finished. Will also be adding a Catch Can too. Great news too my Dealer will work with me if there is any warranty issues concerns even after getting supercharged!!!

Also like to thank imxz28 (Clark) for providing me great information...

Rick

Last edited by rpond171; 04-14-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Time to upgrade to AutoCal with WIDEBAND.

Originally Posted by HANNY
I agree with skvette, edelbrock eforce is a really nice option. The install is super easy and the instructions are super detailed. Edelbrock error's on the safe side bigtime so you should feel really comfortable with their unit's. Their tune they give you with the unit is really good as well and again it is done with safety in mind so.
I did one on my 2016 and the only issue I had was the tune, it took a couple weeks to get it done "BUT" that was because I was the first guy to do one on a 2016 and they needed my stock tune to make sure it was good.
Again they were being super safe and wanted to error on the safe side and get the tune done right the first time. Which I was totally OK with.
here's my install thread below. The install will take a decent tech about a 7-10 hour total time start to finish. I have my own lift and was an tech for 20 years so it only took my roughly 5 hours since I have all the tools and a lift helps to get the heat exchanger in but not needed.
just another option if you are interested but I also like the A&A guys stuff as well. be safe, paul
)))INSTALL THREAD BELOW(((
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-begins.html

Time to upgrade to AutoCal with WIDEBAND.

I'll be away this week and when I get back we can do the Wideband upgrade for you.

Please send your AutoCal to me while I'm away and I'll send it back with the wideband upgrade when I return.

We can do BOTH supercharged cars for you with it.

Speak to you soon.
Chuck CoW

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the verge of being Supercharged....