Sponsored by:

All dressed up and nowhere to go :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:01 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts
Default All dressed up and nowhere to go :(

Today was the annual Texas Corvette Association Open Car Show. It has been raining all day.

The girls were all ready to go to the show but the weather didn't cooperate.

Here are some pics in the garage. Unfortunately we weren't willing to brave the weather

Last edited by WackyBob; 04-16-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:11 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

It's rain. Water. Not sulphuric acid, not napalm, not WP. Water. You can clean it up well enough after you get to where you're going and back in the rain.
The following users liked this post:
jtw473 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Was the show canceled or did you decide to pass due to the weather.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by graj6
It's rain. Water. Not sulphuric acid, not napalm, not WP. Water. You can clean it up well enough after you get to where you're going and back in the rain.
Says the person who didn't spend a combined 10 hours detailing the cars.

I'll give you my address so you can come detail them for me. Or better yet give me your credit card info and I'll have it professionally done. I'm 38 with a wife, a 9 year old and a demanding job. I'm not throwing all that detailing time and effort away

Last edited by WackyBob; 04-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
Was the show canceled or did you decide to pass due to the weather.
I'm not sure if it was cancelled but it has been raining all day so I'm sure almost nobody showed. At least the entry fees went to St. Jude so not all is lost. I love that charity.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:20 PM
MeHeartCorvettes
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't mind the naysayers. Your cars look beautiful, and I can't say I blame ya for leaving them at home. PS - love that garage!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by WackyBob

I'll give you my address so you can come detail them for me. Or better yet give me your credit card info and I'll have it professionally done. I'm 38 with a wife and son and a demanding job. I'm not throwing all that detailing time and effort away
I'm 27 and looking to buy a Vette at ~$80k, so obviously I must not have anything to do and must be jobless, right? How exactly do you know I'm not **** about keeping a car clean?

All I'm saying is if you're that **** about keeping water off your car, look into CQuartz Finest or Opti Pro Plus or some such. It makes maintaining your car easier. No reason to buy that and not drive it at all anytime it rains. Do you at least have another vehicle that you treat more like a car and ride to events if the weather isn't cooperating?

If I was truly passionate about a car, I'd rather have gone to a show that I would have enjoyed (assuming folks would have come there) and had my car somewhat wet than not gone to an event at all because I spent 10 hours detailing the car.

Edit: and yes, your car is beautiful, not debating that.

Last edited by graj6; 04-16-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

First off, beautiful car, but I agree with Graj. In the end, its just a car. If you want it in pristine shape, I recommend you take it to a shop and Cquartz it for like 600-1000$. After that, the water bounces right off and no worries.

People who baby their cars too much (happens especially often in the Vette community) give the overall community a bad name. People laugh at you because they see a nice car... but also a 60-80k car. Not a collectible Ferrari or Lambo.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by graj6
I'm 27 and looking to buy a Vette at ~$80k, so obviously I must not have anything to do and must be jobless, right? How exactly do you know I'm not **** about keeping a car clean?

All I'm saying is if you're that **** about keeping water off your car, look into CQuartz Finest or Opti Pro Plus or some such. It makes maintaining your car easier.
Does that product coat the engine bay and keep all the nasty oily dirt soaked rainwater from splashing on and coating everything in all around and over the engine? Maybe little gnomes with QTips, Armor All and metal polish come out and make sure all is 100% clean again? Wow!

Last edited by WackyBob; 04-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by WackyBob

I'll give you my address so you can come detail them for me. Or better yet give me your credit card info and I'll have it professionally done. I'm 38 with a wife and son and a demanding job. I'm not throwing all that detailing time and effort away
Give that guy hell! When it rains around here just before a show, no one goes, so why show up alone? And these cars
are not the best choice in the rain.cheers:

Last edited by motomanvette; 04-16-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

First - I totally support what the OP did - I'd have done the same thing. His cars, his choice.

Second - It amazes me how people have the quick comments regarding the paint, apply this coating, etc. The paint isn't the major issue for detailing - heck, that's easy to make look good again. I'll happily PARK my car in the rain - I just don't want to DRIVE it in the rain. All the splash in the wheelwells, suspension, undercarriage, etc. is VERY difficult to clean again and over time accumulates. LOTS of cars look good on the outside - get them up in the air and then tell me about it.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by mksz51
First - I totally support what the OP did - I'd have done the same thing. His cars, his choice.

Second - It amazes me how people have the quick comments regarding the paint, apply this coating, etc. The paint isn't the major issue for detailing - heck, that's easy to make look good again. I'll happily PARK my car in the rain - I just don't want to DRIVE it in the rain. All the splash in the wheelwells, suspension, undercarriage, etc. is VERY difficult to clean again and over time accumulates. LOTS of cars look good on the outside - get them up in the air and then tell me about it.
Exactly!!!!!! Hallelujah brother

The following users liked this post:
mksz51 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Bui
First off, beautiful car, but I agree with Graj. In the end, its just a car. If you want it in pristine shape, I recommend you take it to a shop and Cquartz it for like 600-1000$. After that, the water bounces right off and no worries.

People who baby their cars too much (happens especially often in the Vette community) give the overall community a bad name. People laugh at you because they see a nice car... but also a 60-80k car. Not a collectible Ferrari or Lambo.
The real laugh is you are serious. Keeping his Corvettes in pristine condition and not driving it in the rain gives the overall community a bad name. To each his own have you ever looked at what goes into getting a car in show condition.
People like you who dictate how others should use their car are what gives the so called community a bad name.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:02 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
The real laugh is you are serious. Keeping his Corvettes in pristine condition and not driving it in the rain gives the overall community a bad name. To each his own have you ever looked at what goes into getting a car in show condition.
People like you who dictate how others should use their car are what gives the so called community a bad name.

Thanks dvilin

It's good to know others appreciate ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

I won best C7 Coupe last year. The guy with the nasty grime covered engine bay went home without a trophy. The outside paint is easy. A $5 car wash tunnel gets that stuff off.

It's the details that win the show.

Well maybe he got a participation ribbon

Last edited by WackyBob; 04-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM
bluevette67
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

That is the most beautiful garage I have ever seen! Very nice.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Originally Posted by bluevette67
That is the most beautiful garage I have ever seen! Very nice.
Thank You
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51

Heavy rain washes the streets and your suspension will remain clean. The trick is to stop driving when the rain abates and wait till the roads dry. I have used this procedure many times and if you look at my car you would be hard pressed to tell it was ever in the rain.

Get notified of new replies

To All dressed up and nowhere to go :(

Old 04-16-2016, 06:35 PM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I was just searching for image of the gunmetal XO wheels on a white stingray! So what's your honest opinion on those wheels? Are they good? lighter than the OEM Z51? How do you like the gunmetal color? Do you think you rather have it in glossy black?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Your cars are beautiful and they don't get that way without a lot of TLC. Good Work!

I don' think anyone believes that a Vette can't go out in the rain, but after spending hours detailing a car to perfection for a show, it would be crazy to take it out in the rain. My car is black and I am completely back to square one on detailing after even a short drive in the rain.

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 04-16-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

IMO, you have the best two Corvettes. A C7 and the 1978 Corvette Pace Car.

I wanted a 1978 Pace Car for years. I even want on a serious hunt for a low mileage pace car. Finally found one a few years ago in Newport Oregon which is on the coast. Test drove it but while visiting with the owner I also fell in love with Newport. I ended up buying a beach house instead of the car.

I began to look at the 1978 in October but decide to order a 2016 C7. Still may get the 1978 though.

Quick Reply: All dressed up and nowhere to go :(