Sponsored by:

Need some help with bird crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Car#30
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need some help with bird crap

I had the car out on Saturday and put it away in my storage garage in the dark later that night. Today I went over to put a coat of wax on it for the first car show of the year this weekend. When I backed it out of the garage I noticed a big blob of bird crap right in the middle of the roof. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I put it away. Anyway I used some water and got most of it off, then went to my isopropyl/water mix and got the harder stuff off. I then used a little detail spray to clean it a little more when I noticed these marks as you can see in the picture. I got out my clay bar and then some wax

to no avail. Now I have this spot that can be seen at a certain angle and it will not come off. Anyone know how to get those spots off?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Finishing polish- meguires 205 - med pad on an orbital, med speed, do the whole roof so it looks even.

Last edited by Glen e; 04-20-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

(except do the entire roof, not hood). Looks like it etched the clear coat. You'll need to polish it,
Old 04-20-2016, 05:18 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Bird Crap is the worst...

It has all kinds of acid in it and will etch your clear-coat in hours.

If you see bird-crap on your car, get water and a soft cloth or paper towel on it immediately (if not sooner) and gently flush it off...

You can deal with the finish later.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:19 PM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

I've heard of acid rain, but never acid bird $#!T
Old 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Car#30
I had the car out on Saturday and put it away in my storage garage in the dark later that night. Today I went over to put a coat of wax on it for the first car show of the year this weekend. When I backed it out of the garage I noticed a big blob of bird crap right in the middle of the roof. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I put it away. Anyway I used some water and got most of it off, then went to my isopropyl/water mix and got the harder stuff off. I then used a little detail spray to clean it a little more when I noticed these marks as you can see in the picture. I got out my clay bar and then some wax

to no avail. Now I have this spot that can be seen at a certain angle and it will not come off. Anyone know how to get those spots off?
Check out CarPro Essence, might be your best bet as far as a polish goes.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

First of all I recommend a 12 gauge with number 8 shot to deal with the perp. If you are not good with firearms and miss then your alternative is Liquid Glass Polish. If you had 5 coats on the finish the bird crap would not have done a thing even after a week. Try LG Pre-Cleaner. Once you get the spot out, then 5 coats of LG on the car. I have been using LG for 35 years on most of my 85 cars and trucks and 11 motorcycles and NEVER have had an issue with bird crap etching the paint. Most other waxes and polishes are just not going to help you.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Put the car out in the hot sun, the finish will actually self repair over time. After you are satisfied that the mark is virtually unnoticeable, now polish and wax. It will take time but it will disappear.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Put the car out in the hot sun, the finish will actually self repair over time. After you are satisfied that the mark is virtually unnoticeable, now polish and wax. It will take time but it will disappear.
That's interesting

OP I had decent luck with RainX bug and tar prewash gel. There were some bug guts that seemed permanently stained a on the bumper and this did the trick. Then I had a bird poop on my car one evening and I thought since I was getting the car detailed and ceramic coated the next day that it will get dealt with then. It etched in, in about 12 hours ..... Once I got home I tried the RainX and it did a good job of getting that out as well
Old 04-20-2016, 06:46 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Car#30

I used Turtle Wax Bug and tar remover !!! You did the right thing by using water 1st especially if the birds had eaten berries !!! Yikes !!! Wayne
Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Finishing polish- meguires 205 - med pad on an orbital, med speed, do the whole roof so it looks even.
if the above does not work, its not coming out.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
(except do the entire roof, not hood). Looks like it etched the clear coat. You'll need to polish it,
^^^ This.

Did you already have a coat of "wax" on it?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Harley has a scratch and swirl repair that works great. Shake it up and rub some in with your finger and let it sit for a few minutes and gently buff it out with a damp applicator and micro towel. I use this on my Corvettes and Softail and it gets out deep stains and minor scratches easily. I have not found anything better.
The following users liked this post:
Vetteman Jack (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 PM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

A crab apple dropping from a tree will also eat through your clear coat. I was never able to get that out of a black car. I had a robin that also sat on the passenger mirror of another car and unloaded all over the passenger door constantly. After a Godfather execution, I tied it to a tree branch to send a Sicilian message to the other birds.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Certain bugs also do this.

Basically anything that is a fluid from a living organism (insect, bird, tree, etc) you should remove from the car as quickly as possible. I never trust nature to be kind to my paint. Although with the XPEL I worry a little less.

Bird crap is by far the WORST though.

Now what I REALLY need to figure out is how to get the tiny orange spots (which are oxidized brake dust particles) off of my Focus ST...
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

If you don't have an orbital, or don't want to do the entire roof, I've had success with maguire's scratchX on small scratches.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:17 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6

Now what I REALLY need to figure out is how to get the tiny orange spots (which are oxidized brake dust particles) off of my Focus ST...
I've been using carbotech XP12/XP10 on track and Carbotech 1521 on the street for many years rain or shine. Brake dust is touted as non corrosive and I have never had a problem with brake dust as you describe.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help with bird crap

Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by blueray16
I've been using carbotech XP12/XP10 on track and Carbotech 1521 on the street for many years rain or shine. Brake dust is touted as non corrosive and I have never had a problem with brake dust as you describe.
The ST has 1521's on it. I don't think it's entirely me on that car. It goes to the car wash in the winter, I think the power washing they do creates a "haze cloud" where there is just brake dust in the air from the previous cars.

In the summer when I wash at home by hand I don't see new spots.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Bird shxt is no joke. Sold my C6Z to an out of state buyer a couple of years ago. Very particular about my cars, and had it in show condition, Black. He flies in on a Friday night to MSP airport and grabs a hotel. I have the car in 100% show condition. Leave the garage at 8:30 am for a 9:00 am delivery (buyer had already paid me 100% so I was good to go). On Highway 7 headed to the Minneapolis airport, a flock of something large rained bird shxt everywhere. I swear it was like a bird poop rain storm. The whole car was covered in crap.

Pulled up to the hotel, and the poor guy was in disgust. Told him the story of the bad birds (probably Mustang lovers), and he said where is the nearest car wash. Handed him the key fob and said have a nice ride home (he lived in Kentucky).
Old 04-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I carry a microfiber towel & detail spray in my trunk specifically for this.
My GF thinks I'm nuts. I did this with my C6 too.

Quick Reply: Need some help with bird crap