Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Riding Dirty
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Their C1 crystal lacquer topped with their Exo coating looks interesting. I hope to have my new C7 in 2-3 weeks and haven't yet decided on a coating. I'm looking for ease of application, durability, gloss and good hydrophobic action. This is going to be a do it yourself application, after a light polish. I've heard some products, like Cquartz can't be a bit tricky to apply. I don't want to make a mess of my new car finish. Cquartz UK was my first choice, but I becoming a bit unsure. Also, any recommendations on wheel coatings? I'm getting white with black wheels.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't heard of gtechnique, if you use it I'll be curious to see your results and impressions. I use Blackfire crystal seal, it doesn't get much easier to apply than that. Spray on and wipe off, works great. It's a sealant, not a ceramic coating though.

For the wheels, I use a product called hydro2. That's a silicant hydrophobic sealant. Spritz it on when wet and blast it off with the hose. Its easy and seems to work pretty well, the wheels just need more attention if that stuff bothers you, plus they get beat to hell if you drive your car. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

i LOVE their glass coating! I use it on a state vehicle thats driven in EVERY kind of weather and works well for about 25k hard miles.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Good stuff, I don't know of a coating that does not work well. Some apply a bit diff but they all seem to have similar reflectivity and durability.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Riding Dirty
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks interesting enough that I'm going to try it. The application looks super easy. Wipe on and immediate buff off.

I'll report back my experience.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Just did our black cars in Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating after correcting minor swirls with Wolfgang Twins. Uber coating VERY easy to apply w respect to high spots that sometimes trouble other coatings.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Good stuff, I don't know of a coating that does not work well. Some apply a bit diff but they all seem to have similar reflectivity and durability.
I agree with Glen. Although applying a coating can be tricky you just have to follow the manufacturer's timing recommendation. Even within the same product line the time before removing the residue varies with each product. I used 22ple vx1 signature on my C7 and the newer vx1 signature pro2 coating on a black McLaren and a yellow Porsche GT4. They both require waiting 4-5 minutes after application to remove the excess. They have another product that allows you to wait 10 minutes.
I any case the coatings are only as good as the prep work done before application. For a DIY project make sure that the paint is clayed and buffed to perfection then wipe it down with an alcohol mix. Apply the coating on one panel at a time and use a timer to be sure you remove it at the right time. It took me about 25 hours to prep and coat my 2015 DSOM C7 but that is because I was very particular and took my time. 18 months later and the car still looks as good as the day I coated it. I did use the Gtechnique made for glass because the 22ple brand was out of stock. Both work very well. I highly recommend coating over sealants or waxes but if you plan to use a clear bra it has to go on before the coating.
I am not a professional detailer but I have been detailing my cars and some of my friends for many years. Products are constantly changing. There is always great advice on this forum.

2015 C7 DSOM

McLaren MP4-12C

2016 Porsche GT4
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my car professionally polish and then done with the 2 coat process. It looks amazing. I also have Xpel Untimate done at the same time. The polishing got rid of a lot of orange peel.

Almost 2 years and 22k miles, it still looks the same.

Last edited by WKMCD; 05-01-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Docspringfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I had my car professionally polish and then done with the 2 coat process. It looks amazing. I also have Xpel Untimate done at the same time. The polishing got rid of a lot of orange peel.

Almost 2 years and 22k miles, it still looks the same.
What was the cost?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Docspringfield
What was the cost?
I think the polishing and 2 step Gtechniq was $1k.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I think the polishing and 2 step Gtechniq was $1k.
I would highly recommend having a professional prep/coat the car unless you have experience in that arena. I've used a few different coatings and by far my favorite is Ceramic Pro 9H. It's supposed to be permanent and you can get it done in multiple layers, it blew away the opticoat and 22ple coatings! Good luck, I have all of my cars coated and its been worth it on every one.

Get notified of new replies

To Gtechnique coating, any opinions?

Quick Reply: Gtechnique coating, any opinions?