Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS voice recognition

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM
larry knapp
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS voice recognition

I have a 2014 C7 3LT. I would have to say the first year the GPS worked flawlessly guiding us to California and thru LA and other areas without a problem.
I have purchased and downloaded the update for the system. Now I can't use voice to input a destination. I try being as clear and deliberate in pronunciation as I can and it does not even come close to the destination I want. Also the route it directs me is crazy. A lot of back roads. Anyone else have this trouble that can help me out?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't used the nav too much but I think there's a way to specify if you want things like no freeways, scenic routes etc. Maybe that's been selected? I have no idea about the voice recognition though. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

20015 3LZ. Not at all impressed with the Nav system in this car. Haven't even tried the VR feature. But not expecting much success there. Sure wish Chevy would switch to the Google Maps Nav system like the Tesla has. Now that is almost flawless.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I have a 2015 and agree that the VRS is useless. But so are the ones i own from other OEM. I believe it is a conspirascy to force customers to but their connected car offerings!

The GM one is worse than a $100 Garmin.

Last edited by Flame Red; 05-01-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:34 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

This is why I didn't order the nav system but the voice rec. on the use of the phone sucks as well.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaron
20015 3LZ. Not at all impressed with the Nav system in this car. Haven't even tried the VR feature. But not expecting much success there. Sure wish Chevy would switch to the Google Maps Nav system like the Tesla has. Now that is almost flawless.
They have! It's called Android Auto but alas, you can't get it on a 2015 because you need different hardware. I have it on my 2016 and use it all the time. The MyLink Nav is crap and voice recognition is totally useless. I couldn't get it to recognize "DMV" (I tried DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles, etc. - nothing worked!). Sometimes you need to say the place as place as plural (i.e. McNeils instead of McNeil), sometimes you need to specify the full name (i.e. McNee Ranch State Park vs McNee Ranch). This is not a matter of voice recognition or rather it appears to be simply a matter of intelligence. Google's got it and GM doesn't.

That said, OP, did you know if you download the Onstar app you can use the Map thing there to find an address and send it to your car? Again, in a matter of complete stupidity you can only do it from the app on your phone. It's not like you can go to an Onstar or GM web page, use a real mapping web app with a real keyboard that you can actually type in and send the resulting destination to your car from your desktop, nor did they bother to try to integrate with Google Maps on the desktop...

With Android Auto I use Google Maps on my desktop then use the "Send to Phone" options and wham, I'm ready to go. Plus good realtime updates to current traffic conditions and good voice recognition. Google Maps in AA also allows you to add a stop. While navigating with AA and Google Maps in the car, long press the call button on the steering wheel and say "Navigate to McDonalds" and it'll search and present a list of McDonalds with a count down for the first one on the list, or select another one. It'll add it as a stop and keep your original route. Now the MyLink Nav has "waypoints" and you can have up to 5 of them but I find one is usually enough with AA.

Last edited by defaria; 05-01-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have a 2015 and agree that the VRS is useless. But so are the ones i own from other OEM. I believe it is a conspirascy to force customers to but their connected car offerings!

The GM one is worse than a $100 Garmin.
What "connected car offerings"? You mean Onstar? I wouldn't buy that if you paid it for me! I don't want voice, turn by turn directions interrupting what I'm listening to. Other than Onstar, what are these connected car offerings you speak of?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:23 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by larry knapp
...Also the route it directs me is crazy. A lot of back roads. Anyone else have this trouble that can help me out?
Are there lots of toll roads in your area?
And
Do you have the avoid tolls option turned on?
And
If you have travelink, is automatically route around traffic jams turned on?

If so, it will use back roads to comply with each of those settings.

Example:
If you have a route programmed, and get on a toll road, it will tell you to take every exit until you do get off the toll road. It will continually reroute every exit you pass.
Additionally, toll road or not, it will auto reroute around traffic (with no notification it is doing so), which will likely take you off the freeway onto back roads

Last edited by aj98; 05-01-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Give the FREE OnStar Remote Link Map Option A Try!

I find the GPS Voice Recognition in both my '15 Stingray 3LT and my '14 Cadillac ELR (CUE), which are basically the same GM systems, to be atrocious. The best solution I've found and now use regularly is to open the OnStar Remote Link app on my phone, then go to "Map / Location Services". Once there, you can search your desired location and once found, you have the option to "Send" that location to either your "In-Dash Nav" or OnStar's "Turn-By-Turn". Since I've opted out of any OnStar subs, other than the basic "Remote Link" services that came with the car, I send my destination to the "In-Dash Nav" system. This can be done well in advance of your trip, without your car's system up and running. As soon as you get in and start the car, you'll see your Nav system advise "Downloading Destination". A few seconds later, you'll see the on-screen option to either "Save" or "Go" to your chosen destination.

This procedure works great for both my C7 and ELR, running from the same app. While I believe most owners know their car comes with 5 years of basic OnStar Remote Link services to remotely start/lock their car, I think many may have overlooked the fact that that basic service also includes this great option to easilly search and "push" map destinations from your smartphone to your in-dash nav system, thus eliminating the potential for my head to spontaneously combust, if/when I hear that woman's voice say... "Pardon Me"... just one more time!

Get notified of new replies

To GPS voice recognition

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS voice recognition