Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto success (I guess)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

GM Factory nav maps are stored in the Nav. That's what the $350 map update is for! (I don't remember the price - I'd never buy it anyway). Traffic data is obviously dynamic.

Generally GM will not store maps offline (i.e. on your phone) 'cept maybe for your home area, but you can tell GM to store offline area - https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

Last edited by defaria; 11-21-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:28 PM
stevedrummer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
If you were once using the WiFi in the car, but opted to NOT renew it, make sure you're not STILL connecting to the car (as a wireless access point).

Forget (delete) that SSID from your phone.

Otehrwise, it would/could be like connecting to your home WiFi router when your cable is down -- you can connect, but get no Interwebz access.

Just a thought.
Actually, I think that is the issue.
Will try that.
Thank you.

I have another problem that occurs. When navigating through android app and my google maps on phone, it works great until I have a phone conversation. Then Android app freezes and I have to unplug and plug phone to get it to unfreeze.
Anyone else have that problem?
Old 11-18-2016, 04:26 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Additional resources:
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 08:52 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

Or you can use the "Remote link" app and search for it and "send to Nav", oce you start your car up it is there to be executed .....just sayin

Originally Posted by stevedrummer
I no longer have the on star wifi.
When I try to say an address on android auto, it shows searching google, then says google not found.
So I have to set the address on my phone first, then connect to USB to use the navigation.
While the data service was active on the car wifi, I could just say an address.
Hope this explains better.
Is there a way to have the android auto car screen to look for another source to connect to google?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:35 PM
stevedrummer
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Or you can use the "Remote link" app and search for it and "send to Nav", oce you start your car up it is there to be executed .....just sayin
Remote link app?
Is it a phone app or car app? Just saw, it is an on star app.
On star navigation is worthless to me.
It doesn't correct if I change routes, and is not useful for traffic.
Have to play with this tomorrow.
Thanks

Last edited by stevedrummer; 11-20-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:09 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Negative. Requires a USB cable that allows for data transmission. The setup steps tell you to connect the phone to the car using a cable. I believe phone calls and text messages still use Bluetooth even when using AA.

Coming home this afternoon I played around with the music and map features. The music did sound very good and the Google maps are clear and up to date.
I concur with everything you stated. USB cable and bluetooth connection.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:09 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
+1

What I like about Android auto is you don't even need to speak out the address...you just need to say the name of the destination (i.e. Bob's Bar in Niagara Falls)...
That is correct.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:13 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bdstrak
Query if the 2014 C7 with the LT3 option package is backward compatible for Android Auto. The androidauto.com/play/ portal only lists the 2016 Corvette as being Android Auto compatible. Can earlier model years be upgraded? Can I download/install the app or do I need my dealer to install it? Once installed, will the USB connection play the app thru the car's video/sound system?
As of Nov 11 Android Auto will work with any car, but you don't USB cable it to Vettes earlier than 2016. You won't get it on your MyLink display. But you can still use it with Bluethooth and use your phone with it, if you download the AA app.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
AA operates independently from Onstar and the car's data plan. It uses the data plan on your smartphone. I just plug my phone in VIA USB, press the AA icon on the infotainment screen and I'm good to go.
You are correct sir!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

One other thing. When I first paired it to my car it wasn't reliable. Sometimes it would appear on the Mylink screen display and other times not. I bought a new USB-C cable to USB ( I use a Nexus 5X that has the new USB-C connection on the phone) and all is well. I had a cheap cable and that is why it was inconsistent. The new one is reliable and consistent. On the Mylink display it pops up the Android Auto icon quickly when I plug my phone in. So no cheap cables. You can also use all the features of the Mylink while the phone is connected. I like it.
In a few weeks the Android Auto will integrate Waze into it so you can have a good traffic and LEO feature. It will appear as an icon on the bottom of the Android Auto interface.
Be sure to download and install the Android Auto app from the Google play store before pairing it to you car.
Here is a video from Carguy11 with a nice little tutorial of how to get it going on your car.

Last edited by joemessman; 11-20-2016 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C7s (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM
stevedrummer
Instructor

so new problem. Updated Android Auto and now it says Google Play Services has a problem.
going to android forums.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

so new problem. Updated Android Auto and now it says Google Play Services has a problem.
going to android forums.
Try uninstalling the latest Google Play Services update. After reboot, it will ask to update again. Let it, and should solve your problem.

Last edited by cam30era; 11-22-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

What cam30era says ^^^
Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Remote link app?
Is it a phone app or car app? Just saw, it is an on star app.
On star navigation is worthless to me.
It doesn't correct if I change routes, and is not useful for traffic.
Have to play with this tomorrow.
Thanks
It's an Onstar app for your phone called Onstar Remote Link. There's lots of Onstar like functionality but there's also a section where you can type in an address and tap a button and it will send that destination to your car's head unit. When you get in your car you will see "Destination downloaded" and you can then use the MyLink Nav system just like you would if you had typed in the address directly.

There is, or was, a section of the Onstar web site where you could locate an address and send it to the car but they sure buried it deep.

Drawbacks:
  • You have to use the cell phone and type into that (unless you can find the link on the website)
  • Both the web site and the app have terrible search facilities for an address (IOW Google blows them away).
  • You can only do one destination. If you do a second one the last one wins
  • Compare entering an address into a cell phone with a full screen browser in Google Maps where you find your trailhead, right click and say "Directions to here", then click on your Home setting and send to phone. You're done!
  • You can send to phone from Google Maps many destinations and they will sit on your phone as notifications. Wanna go to the second one? Simply tap it.

Last edited by defaria; 11-22-2016 at 04:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
cam30era (11-22-2016), joemessman (11-21-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 02:46 PM
stevedrummer
Instructor

Originally Posted by cam30era
Try uninstalling the latest Google Play Services update. After reboot, it will ask to update again. Let it, and should solve your problem.
it finally worked on phone,
now see if it works in car

thanks again
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default My LINK UPDATE INFO, PLEASE?

In the "Car Guy" video, he discusses that early 2016 models need a "My Link" update in order to use Android Auto. Does someone have any specific information, please, on this update so that I can give that info to my dealer (so I won't get the usual "we don't show any update" or they don't know what I'm talking about!). Any help, please?

Originally Posted by joemessman
One other thing. When I first paired it to my car it wasn't reliable. Sometimes it would appear on the Mylink screen display and other times not. I bought a new USB-C cable to USB ( I use a Nexus 5X that has the new USB-C connection on the phone) and all is well. I had a cheap cable and that is why it was inconsistent. The new one is reliable and consistent. On the Mylink display it pops up the Android Auto icon quickly when I plug my phone in. So no cheap cables. You can also use all the features of the Mylink while the phone is connected. I like it.
In a few weeks the Android Auto will integrate Waze into it so you can have a good traffic and LEO feature. It will appear as an icon on the bottom of the Android Auto interface.
Be sure to download and install the Android Auto app from the Google play store before pairing it to you car.
Here is a video from Carguy11 with a nice little tutorial of how to get it going on your car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB78Fra5TJg
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blkvet6
In the "Car Guy" video, he discusses that early 2016 models need a "My Link" update in order to use Android Auto. Does someone have any specific information, please, on this update so that I can give that info to my dealer (so I won't get the usual "we don't show any update" or they don't know what I'm talking about!). Any help, please?
Hi. Just call your dealer up and make arrangements to come in with your car and get the Android Auto update flash. They will know what you are talking about. However.....for 2014 and 2015 models this update is not available for adding Android Auto to your Mylink Infotainment center.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto success (I guess)

Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 AM
cambrown47
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I used AA for the first time I could not figure out how to adjust (increase) volume. When I turned the **** for radio volume control, only the radio increased. Thank you for your basic instructions!!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:31 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cambrown47
When I used AA for the first time I could not figure out how to adjust (increase) volume. When I turned the **** for radio volume control, only the radio increased. Thank you for your basic instructions!!
turn up the volume all the way on your phone first
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueDevilZ51:
cambrown47 (06-06-2017), Rebel Yell (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 AM
cambrown47
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I had...when I pick up my Vette from being wrapped I will definitely make certain of that (although I usually have the volume all the way to max.). I really do not want to extend OnStar beyond the 3-mo. trial and didn't get NAV because I knew I could use Google Maps app so I'm hopeful for an easy solution to not being able to hear the directions although I could see the map on the (car) screen just fine with my phone plugged into the USB.

Quick Reply: Android Auto success (I guess)