Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Old 03-25-2017, 10:52 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Installed them last night on my 16' Z06. Install was easy. Had to break off wear tab on Pass. rear inner pad.
Same here on my GS. Wouldn't go in far enough with the wear tab. Left (driver) side fit fine with tab. Doesn't need two wear tabs on the same wheel anyway, and the stockers only had them on the outer pad.

all is well, EXCEPT there is a noise when braking.
No noise at all here.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,676 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Initial bite doesn't seem as good as the factory pads, but I'll let them heat cycle a few times and fully get bedded in before making too much judgment on them since the new rotors needs time too. I have not experienced any noise from them yet which I typically did from the factory pads.
Update:
Now that the pads are broken-in, initial bite has gotten better, but still not quite as aggressive as the factory pads. Overall stopping power is great though. I stood on them doing about 130 down the Tollway last night and they hauled the car down very nicely and sent the leftover pizza in the trunk flying As long a they stay low-dust and silent, I will be very happy with them for street pads.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ Yes once they get some heat in them, they really bite. Just like track pads.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,527 Likes on 520 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Any noise from the Z26s vs Z23s? Read a bunch seems for street driving both are good.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,676 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Any noise from the Z26s vs Z23s? Read a bunch seems for street driving both are good.
While my factory Z51 pads were noisy, especially at low-speeds, the Z26's have remained SILENT.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Z26 vs Z23

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, here. It's been very helpful.

FWIW, I found this explanation of the difference between the Z26 and Z23 Powerstop pads on another forum. Sums it up fairly well.
  • Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
  • They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
  • Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
  • The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
  • Both pads are low noise but the Z23 may be a bit better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim

I'm going with the Z23 pads on my 2017 GS convertible just as soon as I get it home from R8C delivery in early June.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hutch:
JerryU (04-23-2017), xp800 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Last year I ran one single HPDE at Watkins Glen. That track is tough on brakes with sharp turns at the end of long straights, and particularly the downhill stretch which ends with a left turn. By the end of the day my rotors were toast because of pad transfer, The stock Z51 Brembo pads were about half used up which I can live with but the braking power had declined significantly.

As noted in an earlier post, I recently bought the full kit for my Z51. Power Stop high carbon upgraded rotors, Z26 pads, and Track pads.

I just completed another full day of HPDE at Watkins Glen. Between my own driving getting better, and some other changes to the car, my speed in the straights was 10 to 20 mph faster than last year, which increases braking requirements. I was using the brakes for all they were worth. It was a good day at the track, not a lot of people, so I got over two hours of track time. Using the Power Stop rotors and their Track Day pads, I finished the day with brakes working just as good as when I stopped. Zero fade, zero pad transfer. I have enough pad material left for at least two more similar days, which would be six hours of track time. The braking power is much improved, I was able to go deeper before braking even though my straightaway speeds were much higher. The Track Day pads were just awesome.

I know the Track Day pads are not intended for street use, and are likely to wear the rotors, but I have to say even after all that track time the rotors look brand new. I drove on the street about 100 miles before the track session as well.

Considering the kit with four rotors, and two full sets of pads cost less than $700, these are a great value.

Last edited by Citation; 04-22-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

^^^ Are the track day pads noisy on the street? I assume they dust as bad as OEM pads.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
^^^ Are the track day pads noisy on the street? I assume they dust as bad as OEM pads.
The track day pads are described as noisy by the manufacturer but I heard nothing.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 AM
Self_Made
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Same here on my GS. Wouldn't go in far enough with the wear tab. Left (driver) side fit fine with tab. Doesn't need two wear tabs on the same wheel anyway, and the stockers only had them on the outer pad.
Would you be able to help me out with finding the right part numbers for the GS? Not sure whether to go with the stingray or z06 power stops. I don't have the carbon ceramics.

Last edited by Self_Made; 04-28-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Self_Made
Would you be able to help me out with finding the right part numbers for the GS? Not sure whether to go with the stingray or z06 power stops. I don't have the carbon ceramics.
FWIW, the Power Stop and Vendor selection info doesn't exist for the Grand Sport and a comment about which to buy on the thread a bit confusing. Calling Power Stop (7 weeks ago) was worse!

Most Forum vendors have installed the Z06 pads on their Grand Sports that are listed (at least by most) as Front #Z26-1405, Rear Z26 #1718

I can attest they not only fit, they are identical relative to shape, (i.e. no little weights etc on the top of the pads) to those on the Grand Sport. The GS does NOT have those little vibration damper weights that are on some Z51's. They are also the same larger pads as the Z06 NOT the smaller pads on the Z51!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW, the Power Stop and Vendor selection info doesn't exist for the Grand Sport and a comment about which to buy on the thread a bit confusing. Calling Power Stop (7 weeks ago) was worse!

Most Forum vendors have installed the Z06 pads on their Grand Sports that are listed (at least by most) as Front #Z26-1405, Rear Z26 #1718

I can attest they not only fit, they are identical relative to shape, (i.e. no little weights etc on the top of the pads) to those on the Grand Sport. The GS does NOT have those little vibration damper weights that are on some Z51's. They are also the same larger pads as the Z06 NOT the smaller pads on the Z51!
Did you install PowerStop pads and not the Carbotechs?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:44 AM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Washed my car today. First time I did the wheels since installing the new PowerStop brakes. I would say 300 mile of use.
I was amazed. Got the soapy rag up inside the spokes and hardly any dirt at all. I use an old yellow micro fiber cloth which will show the dirt easily but nada. Easily the best hour and 125.00 I ever spent on any car.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Who is using Power Stop Z26 brake pads?

I just installed these yesterday on my GS. So far I love them, great initial bite after they've warmed up, quiet as a church mouse and easy to install!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM
16mako
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow this thread really turned out to be quite intense. I too just installed the Powerstops on my 16 Z51. I have only had the car for a couple months and when I got it it was spotless including the wheels. After the last couple months the wheels were covered with dust and I had put less than 800 miles on the car. I am hoping the Powerstops work out well for low dust and I would also like to add that they are absolutely noiseless since I put them on. As a proud Corvette owner it's all about the love of the car and keeping her looking great if the Powerstops help and perform as needed I'll takem.. I'll checked back in a few months and let you know how they are performing.. Ride on
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:22 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Trackday Pads @VIR

Just ran 2 days of HPDE at VIR with the Trackday Pads. Awesome bite, no squeal, no fade. Gone faster and deeper into curves.
joeybsyc (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Seems like Powerstop track pads are as impressive too. Thanks for the reviews!

Get notified of new replies

To Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Old 07-04-2017, 12:53 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Really impressed with TrackDay pads!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by 16mako
Wow this thread really turned out to be quite intense. I too just installed the Powerstops on my 16 Z51. I have only had the car for a couple months and when I got it it was spotless including the wheels. After the last couple months the wheels were covered with dust and I had put less than 800 miles on the car. I am hoping the Powerstops work out well for low dust and I would also like to add that they are absolutely noiseless since I put them on. As a proud Corvette owner it's all about the love of the car and keeping her looking great if the Powerstops help and perform as needed I'll takem.. I'll checked back in a few months and let you know how they are performing.. Ride on
Hmm, your lucky you could live with 800 miles. My OEM Z51 pads created enough dust on my black wheels that two trips into town (~100 miles) if I did not clean off the dust it not only looked bad it was pitting the paint!

Did not wait with my new Grand Sport. With 30 miles, the distance from the courtesy delivery dealer, installed Powerstops on the first day it was home! Very little dust and it's light and hardly noticeable on my machined faced aluminum wheels. The wheels will get washed only when I wash the car!
joeybsyc (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 AM
Outside Looking In
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has to be the most entertaining read on an automotive forum I've read in a long time.

I use these on another car, just joined after reading this entire thread.

Very entertaining!

The "carbotech" guy, lol. Kinda went mute the last few pages of the thread.

These are great pads, just ordered a second set - could have bought any pads - but chose these again to keep the confidence these have provided with spirited driving. Paired with their rotors for two years and love the brand and braking.

I get that there's a conflict with some die-hard "iconic" Vette car owners and a Chinese brand. How many parts in this American car do you think came from China??? Come on.

Great pads from PowerStop and some smart guys (gals) on here that can see through the BS of a sponsored vendor overlord.
joeybsyc (07-03-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?