Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Let us know how they perform when you get back to your home track.

There's no way the Z26's resist fade like the stock bremos. I bought them for the low dust.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agreed. No way they are more fade-resistant than the OEM Brembos, which are track-rated. I don't think there is a pro-driver, HPDE instructor, or brake engineer who would agree with what's said in this video about the comparison.

From the video, it didn't look like you were putting too much stress on the brakes.
The following users liked this post:
raylo (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:07 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Agreed. No way they are more fade-resistant than the OEM Brembos, which are track-rated. I don't think there is a pro-driver, HPDE instructor, or brake engineer who would agree with what's said in this video about the comparison.

From the video, it didn't look like you were putting too much stress on the brakes.
Not sure why it's so hard to believe these are superior to stock pads? Have you tried anything else? They may not be to the level of track pads but can also be used on street. Believe me they offer more bite and no fade compared to stock pads and they definitely are an upgrade.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I have powerstops on my car, they offer way less dust and they also offer less bite and less fade resistance.

If I get on the track I'll use a track pad. Seems pretty simple.
Foosh (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7s
Not sure why it's so hard to believe these are superior to stock pads? Have you tried anything else? They may not be to the level of track pads but can also be used on street. Believe me they offer more bite and no fade compared to stock pads and they definitely are an upgrade.
Sorry, I don't believe you, and I think your perceptions are not consistent w/ reality. I do believe they are great for people who are bothered by brake dust.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-27-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:44 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I don't believe you, and I think your perceptions are not consistent w/ reality. I do believe they are great for people who are bothered by brake dust.
Even if you don't believe me about the Z26 pads the stock pads are Not great pads for the track. I felt pedal push back which is outgasing of the pads slowing from 130mph. If you think the stock pads are great then you must be taking a Sunday drive on track. And no one but me seems to have tried Z26 pads on track but everyone thinks they suck.

Last edited by C7s; 08-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Exactly, I have Powerstops on my car but if/when I head to the track the Brembos will go right back on.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Even if you don't believe me about the Z26 pads the stock pads are Not great pads for the track. I felt pedal push back which is outgasing of the pads slowing from 130mph. If you think the stock pads are great then you must be taking a Sunday drive on track. And no one but me seems to have tried Z26 pads on track but everyone thinks they suck.
I, for one, greatly appreciate C7s taking the time and effort to evaluate products, record & upload videos to give insight to others on this site. Please keep sharing your videos.

It's a shame that we have arm chair critics that pretend they are God's gift of expertise to whatever forum they are on, attacking all who don't drink their cool aid. Let's see them go out and exert the time & effort people like C7s does.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gymbow:
C7s (08-27-2016), joeybsyc (08-27-2016), Joy c7 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by C7s
Watch my track day review of Z26 pads below and Subscribe for more videos!!!
Thanks for the video and the comments on the track performance of the Power Stop Z26 pads. Please do report back with additional info after you've been able to run those pads at Pitt Race.

Ernie
Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gymbow
I, for one, greatly appreciate C7s taking the time and effort to evaluate products, record & upload videos to give insight to others on this site. Please keep sharing your videos.

It's a shame that we have arm chair critics that pretend they are God's gift of expertise to whatever forum they are on, attacking all who don't drink their cool aid. Let's see them go out and exert the time & effort people like C7s does.
Speaking of "god's gift of expertise," does a video camera and the ability to post a video on the internet qualify anyone to "evaluate products" and make the type of pronouncements that were made on that video? Even Powerstop specifies that their Z26 product is NOT recommended for track use, yet it was clearly stated on the video that they are an "upgrade" over the Brembos for track use. It is irresponsible to say that because some people might actually believe it.

There's been plenty of testing on the OEM Brembo braking system and pads in the Z51, and they are rated for track use. GM significantly upgraded the Z51 brakes over the base car for that use on occasion. Given the choice between GM and independent testing done on the OEM Brembo Z51 brakes and pads, vs. the video above, it's a no-brainer as to which one has more credibility.

The Powerstops are closer to the pads that come on the base car. There are also Powerstop users who say that don't bite as hard, and they are not as fade resistant.

Disagreement w/ unsubstantiated pronouncements is not an attack, just a necessary reality check. I also appreciate people taking the time to make videos, and I have enjoyed some of C7s' videos in the past. However, I think he stepped over the line with his unsubstantiated claims in this case and needed to be called on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Bunk (01-08-2017), Maxpowers (08-28-2016), raylo (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 01:47 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Now now foosh, everyone gets a trophy for participation. Accuracy is not important.

Welcome to the world today. "Protect the feelings." He might be hurt if we tell him he's wrong and there are plenty of people around who have had their feelings hurt and know what it's like.
Foosh (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

What tool and sandpaper would you guys recommend for cleaning up the oem rotors? Would like to do that before I put these on.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH76
What tool and sandpaper would you guys recommend for cleaning up the oem rotors? Would like to do that before I put these on.
I have 1500 miles and just switched. I didn't sand the rotors and everything works perfectly. Just be sure to bed them.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:42 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Same here. I didn't touch my rotors with anything. Just installed the pads and bedded them in as directed, been working great ever since.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

@Foosh Again what experience do you have with the stock pads or any others? As far as I have seen on the forums I am only one to take both on the track. As I said in the video I still have to test them on my home track but for right now the Z26 pads out perform the stock pads. Once the Z26 pads heat up they have great bite. I mentioned they like heat in video as well. So on the street they do have less bite than stock pads. I am not one to change out parts just to do it. I had fade with the stock pads and wanted to correct it without going to full track pad. If you disagree with my review please substantiate it with real world experience using them not hearsay.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7s:
Gymbow (08-28-2016), joeybsyc (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:47 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Same here. I didn't touch my rotors with anything. Just installed the pads and bedded them in as directed, been working great ever since.
Well I previously used carbotech 1521 and those are suppose to be quit and low dust. They were the loudest brake pads I've ever heard on any vette I've had. Others said they did t have noise so I'm guessing it's the different brake dust not liking each other? I have the power stops on the way. I'll take off the rotors and clean them before I put the new pads on.
The following 2 users liked this post by CDH76:
joeybsyc (08-28-2016), Joy c7 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7s
@Foosh Again what experience do you have with the stock pads or any others? As far as I have seen on the forums I am only one to take both on the track. As I said in the video I still have to test them on my home track but for right now the Z26 pads out perform the stock pads. Once the Z26 pads heat up they have great bite. I mentioned they like heat in video as well. So on the street they do have less bite than stock pads. I am not one to change out parts just to do it. I had fade with the stock pads and wanted to correct it without going to full track pad. If you disagree with my review please substantiate it with real world experience using them not hearsay.
I have years of track experience in many different types of cars, with many different types of pads. I'm very familiar w/ the Brembo pad that is std. on the Z51, as well as the Brembo braking system.

If it's any consolation, you're not the first to experiment w/ low dusting street pads and to mistakenly think they'll be fine for the track. If you're not pushing very hard or for very long, they'll probably be OK for awhile, and that's what your video looked like.

In your video, you didn't do any braking tests to support your pronouncements, which would have required multiple very hard stops from a given speed, with someone measuring your braking distances, starting with cold and progressing to very hot pads. You actually concluded based upon nothing that it was an "upgrade."

Since you probably still have your Brembos, and you know how to install pads, why don't you make your next video a proper comparison of multiple hard stops, with measured braking distances of OEM Brembo pads vs. your Powerstops.

I'm not the one making videos and drawing conclusions, and my problem is that you were making statements that aren't supported by either any data or the past experiences of many track users.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-28-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Old 08-28-2016, 04:10 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH76
Well I previously used carbotech 1521 and those are suppose to be quit and low dust. They were the loudest brake pads I've ever heard on any vette I've had. Others said they did t have noise so I'm guessing it's the different brake dust not liking each other? I have the power stops on the way. I'll take off the rotors and clean them before I put the new pads on.
I think you'll find the PowerStops produce much less dust than your old Carbotechs and are dead quiet from the get go. Cleaning the Carbotechs dust off of everything while you're in there certainly won't hurt anything...but many (including myself) have not done anything to the rotors at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by joeybsyc:
CDH76 (08-28-2016), Joy c7 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

@Foosh My data is I used both on the track and one preformed better than the other. Where is your data???
Joy c7 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I heard stuff coming from your mouth, but I saw no data.

Quick Reply: Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?