Sponsored by:

Runs Flats did job today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Default Runs Flats did job today!

Let me tell you the story and I need advice. I was 66 miles from home out in the middle of no where today. Going down the highway at 55 Mph and BANG! Ran over some junk in the road right over a rise. Clank, clank, clank, ratatatat. I pulled over and had my wife look at the tire as I slowly rolled the tire. She said STOP! I opened the door and went out to look at the rear right and it had this god awful hook, spike, iron grotesque piece of metal right in the center tread area. We heard the tire hissing away. I went in and looked at the DIC and pulled up the tire pressure. At that time it was 18. And then in a matter of about one minute it counted down to 0. So we got back in the car and I set the cruise control for 55. I stopped couple of miles down the road and took a look. It looked a little flat looking but the sidewalls were holding up enough. Went another few miles and checked again. It was doing its job. So we finally got home. Hooray!
Now the question. I will call service at my dealer tomorrow. Should I let them pick it up with a tow service if that is what they want to do? I am Leery of that. Should I drive the 5 miles over there? Or just wait and see what they have to say?
As we were driving home. I had my wife call the Chevy Road Service and they wanted to have me schedule it with the dealer for 10:30 AM delivery tomorrow. Ok with that, but they wanted to have it towed. I declined for now and said I would deal with this issue in the morning. I don't want the car banged up during a tow job. I know all you guys and gals get that for sure.
So my question is this. How should I proceed with this? That tire is not repairable. Take my word for it. The car has 9,834 miles on it and I imagine they can just replace the OEM Michelin runflat. I have a base car by the way. Or should I just buy a new set of tires I planned to buy when these wore out. Here is what I was going to buy.
All season for me and want run flats again. It would have been hours and hours before any rescue service would have go to me. This episode made a believer out of us.
Mitchelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (Run flats for base stingray)

Last edited by joemessman; 05-24-2016 at 10:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Cirrus8 (05-26-2016), Dif (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just take the wheel to a local shop like Discount Tire or something like that. Unless you have the added tire warranty then just ask them if you can bring just the wheel in if you're that worried. If it's their truck (flatbed) they'll be able to load it up fine without damaging it.
The following 2 users liked this post by IELAC7:
joemessman (05-25-2016), Rebel Yell (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm not sure how much tread is left on the other three tires, but I would guess w. almost 10K miles on the tires, you may be half way thru the lifespan of the other three. It is, however, a base car and the tires may not be as aggressive a compound (read: shorter lifespan) as some of the other car models like Z51 suspension. Someone will chime in and tell you so, or that it's not the case. Or, you could buy a $2 mechanical tread depth gauge and walk around your car and see how much tread is left on the three tires.

Reason I suggest the above is because if there's a lot of tread left, unless you really want A/S tires right now (and I can understand it for your climate, Portland, OR), it may make sense to buy one new tire, and use it until the other three get down to 4/32nds (2/32nds is the legal number, but 4/32nds is usually a good depth to change due to less traction in the wet). Then, dump the three tires, and possibly sell the fourth, newer tire for a few dollars ($50? maybe), and get the A/S tires.

Even tho you put 66 or so miles on the runflat tire getting it home, it may still be ok to drive it to a store, or the dealer. Or, as suggested above, you could remove the tire/wheel yourself and bring it to a Discount Tire. A search I did doesn't show any Discount Tire stores in Portland proper, but all around the city. Here's the page: http://stores.discounttire.com/or/clackamas/orp-04/

Good luck with it!

Last edited by AORoads; 05-25-2016 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:05 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by IELAC7
Just take the wheel to a local shop like Discount Tire or something like that. Unless you have the added tire warranty then just ask them if you can bring just the wheel in if you're that worried. If it's their truck (flatbed) they'll be able to load it up fine without damaging it.
Sorry to hear about your tire Joe. BTW that clank, clank, clank sound was that the metal "thing" hitting the road surface or your car?

If you have the right correct lifting equipment (lift puck, low profile jack, proper jack stand) and you are comfortable enough to remove the wheel AND can lift the wheel into your other car (assumes you have a trunk large enough) I would bring it to a tire place like Discount Tires or Les Scwab.

You should absoluetely call around to find out price and availability BEFORE bought you bring in your wheel. I would also find out if they have the equipment AND experience to replace a run flat tire, not just everyone can replace a run flat.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I would not have it towed if you believe the tire is unrepairable. Towing it is a risk I would avoid at as long as possible.

Once you deem the tire is unrepairable, you can drive it all over the place (50 or a hundred, or some have reported over five hundred). You can drive it on a ruined RF longer than you might imagine. It's not like you are saving the tire for something.

Heck, even if the bead is broken, you can drive it a very long way.
joemessman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Drive it to the tire store.

Get new rear tires.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Unfortunately I don't have the right tools to remove the tire. I assume that the tire is not a warranty item and that GM would replace it. So if that is the case I think I will just drive it over to Discount Tire and get it replaced. That tire had pretty good tread left.
Anyway, keep the suggestions coming.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Bettermost
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure the tire is in stock before you drive over to the tire place. It may have to be ordered.
joemessman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by joemessman
Unfortunately I don't have the right tools to remove the tire. I assume that the tire is not a warranty item and that GM would replace it. So if that is the case I think I will just drive it over to Discount Tire and get it replaced. That tire had pretty good tread left.
Smart decision IMO, good luck.
joemessman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Bettermost
Make sure the tire is in stock before you drive over to the tire place. It may have to be ordered.
That is a very good suggestion. No point wasting time.

The chances that OUR tires are "in stock" ANYWHERE are slim to none. RF, NonRF, it really doesn't make a difference. Our tire size(s) are rare.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Joe, call first before you drive to the tire store. It's not the type of tire they stock. Odds are they will have to have one shipped in so you do not want to drive there and then have to drive the car home again because they didn't have it in stock.
joemessman (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 02:55 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

So my question is this. How should I proceed with this? That tire is not repairable. Take my word for it. The car has 9,834 miles on it and I imagine they can just replace the OEM Michelin runflat. I have a base car by the way. Or should I just buy a new set of tires I planned to buy when these wore out. Here is what I was going to buy.
All season for me and want run flats again. It would have been hours and hours before any rescue service would have go to me. This episode made a believer out of us.
Mitchelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (Run flats for base stingray)
Glad the run flats saved the day!
Since the tire needs to be replaced why not drive the car to wherever you are going to get two new rear tires. With that many miles I would get a match set versus driving on one half worn. Since I have an air compressor I would also fill the tire before startig but as long as you drive slowly probably not needed.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-25-2016 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:11 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Where ever you go, call, make sure they have a tire in stock. Get your A/S tires and call it a day.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Glad the run flats saved the day!
Since the tire needs to be replaced why not drive the car to wherever you are going to get two new rear tires. With that many miles I would get a match set versus driving on one half worn. Since I have an air compressor I would also fill the tire before startig but as long as you drive slowly probably not needed.
Just my opinion.
Its not a slow leak. It is a huge object in the tire. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bettermost
Chances are it will have to be ordered. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Joe, call first before you drive to the tire store. It's not the type of tire they stock. Odds are they will have to have one shipped in so you do not want to drive there and then have to drive the car home again because they didn't have it in stock.

I put new tires on my 2015 C7 Stingray Base and because of the size, it took one week to get the tires in stock to the Discount Tire store.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

First of all thanks for all your input. Here is what I decided. I am just going replace the tire. The left rear has plenty of tread left. My dealer can have the tire in today. I am just going to drive it over. Only 5 miles. Not worth the worry of having it towed! I have had poor experiences doing that in the past.

Get notified of new replies

To Runs Flats did job today!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

First of all thanks for all your input. Here is what I decided. I am just going replace the tire. The left rear has plenty of tread left. My dealer can have the tire in today. I am just going to drive it over. Only 5 miles. Not worth the worry of having it towed! I have had poor experiences doing that in the past.
Your best bet. Good move. You will be back driving the C7 soon. Enjoy.

Thanks for posting your experience.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 BOB
Drive it to the tire store.

Get new rear tires.
The dealer won't do it. They will farm it out to a tire store. Same problem here. Except I was 100 miles from Phoenix. Drove in to a Good Year store, and they replaced under warranty for $100. Take a good picture of rim before it goes to tire store. That way you will know if the rim is damaged by them, just in case it is damaged by them.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Sorry about the tire, Joe! Seems like you made the best possible decision. Here's to seeing you on the road soon!

Quick Reply: Runs Flats did job today!