Sponsored by:

Cheap front camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
This might be an alternative. It will run the android version of the app and should fit in the cubby hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222158881709?

...and I bought it. So, we'll see if it is a POS or not for the purpose
I'll be watching for your review. I'm supposed to be getting an old iPhone 5S from a friend.
The following users liked this post:
fredl11 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
Oops. I thought of that after I started using the cam. I'm looking for an old cheap iPhone to leave connected in the dash cubby. Note you need to use an iPhone that can run iOS 6, the WifiAV App needs it. The earliest iPhone that can use it is 3GS
I use my old out of service Iphone 4
Old 07-01-2016, 04:05 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll be watching for your review. I'm supposed to be getting an old iPhone 5S from a friend.
It is suppose to be here Tuesday. I don't know jack about Android, so here is my chance to learn. I plan to strip the O/S down to the bare minimum with just the WIFIAV app. There should be a way to make it open the WIFIAV app on start up. Hopefully the performance will be acceptable. If not, I'll give it to my neighbor's kid.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

It is suppose to be here Tuesday. I don't know jack about Android, so here is my chance to learn. I plan to strip the O/S down to the bare minimum with just the WIFIAV app. There should be a way to make it open the WIFIAV app on start up. Hopefully the performance will be acceptable. If not, I'll give it to my neighbor's kid.
I'm an iPhone guy too. Got a 5S hooked up in the cubby. Problem is I still have to turn it and open the the WifiAV app.

Let me know how you make out. May we both become Android Users (sigh).
Old 07-02-2016, 01:55 AM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

What is the name of the app for android? yes i am asking this again after someone else has asked but no response? Please respond?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 AM
red 1
Racer

Originally Posted by smajicek
What is the name of the app for android? yes i am asking this again after someone else has asked but no response? Please respond?
wifiav
Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

I still have the Trio tablet coming but it dawned on me that having Bluetooth would be nice so I could also use it with the Valentine One radar detector app. I ended up buying this, and for $60, I'm really impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018IZ0SWI

Solid build, fast, nice screen, boots pretty quickly, 2 Sim slots, Android Lollipop 5.1. Just not sure about battery life (which doesn't matter for my use). There is an app in the Google Play store that wil auto start apps (like WIFIAV) when the phone boots up (All In One Toolbox, free with ads, $3.99 with no ads). You can also set the phone to shut off at a predetermined time everyday, so you don't have to worry about shutting the phone off. The phone works great with WIFIAV. No complaints. Get in the car, power the phone up, swipe up, WIFIAV is already running so you're all set. I haven't figured out how to have it bypass the swipe screen and go directly to the WIFIAV app. Yet. You probably should buy a SD memory card since this only has 4GB. I had one sitting around.

Not sure what I'll do with the Trio. I will still see how it works with th WIFIAV app once I get it.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

My curb alert works great but when it finally craps out this is the way to go.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:25 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention you are probably going to need a right angle micro usb cable to get this to fit (unless the micro usb connector is very low profile).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cobbled together a couple of usb cables to get it to work in the meantime.

WIFIAV

Valentine One App
Old 07-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

I still have the Trio tablet coming but it dawned on me that having Bluetooth would be nice so I could also use it with the Valentine One radar detector app. I ended up buying this, and for $60, I'm really impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018IZ0SWI

Solid build, fast, nice screen, boots pretty quickly, 2 Sim slots, Android Lollipop 5.1. Just not sure about battery life (which doesn't matter for my use). There is an app in the Google Play store that wil auto start apps (like WIFIAV) when the phone boots up (All In One Toolbox, free with ads, $3.99 with no ads). You can also set the phone to shut off at a predetermined time everyday, so you don't have to worry about shutting the phone off. The phone works great with WIFIAV. No complaints. Get in the car, power the phone up, swipe up, WIFIAV is already running so you're all set. I haven't figured out how to have it bypass the swipe screen and go directly to the WIFIAV app. Yet. You probably should buy a SD memory card since this only has 4GB. I had one sitting around.

Not sure what I'll do with the Trio. I will still see how it works with th WIFIAV app once I get it.
ZBrett...I'll let you do all the grunt work. Then swoop in and use the same setup. The iPhone 5S I'm using is a 32gig, so its a giant waste of a good unit. Still trying to work out the Turn On, Turn Off problems etc.

But I have to say having the screen in the cubby is a nice feature to have.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

ZBrett...I'll let you do all the grunt work. Then swoop in and use the same setup. The iPhone 5S I'm using is a 32gig, so its a giant waste of a good unit. Still trying to work out the Turn On, Turn Off problems etc.

But I have to say having the screen in the cubby is a nice feature to have.
Happy to blaze the trail. What is nice about the BLU phone is it is a 5" screen, which is about the biggest you can fit in there and with a cheap SD Micro card, you are at $70. You can still buy a new iPhone 5S and they cost around $500 without a contract.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:44 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ok

On the passenger side behind the the wheel well below the bumper strike plate for the hood. Does this help?

I give up. I can't find that spit
Do I need to remove pass tire and fender well?

I'm so confused
Old 07-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
My curb alert works great but when it finally craps out this is the way to go.
I'm throwing in the towel on my Curb Alert. It's already been knocked out of alignment twice by dips in the road. I ordered the NavTool and I'm having a local shop install it.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredl11
I give up. I can't find that spit
Do I need to remove pass tire and fender well?

I'm so confused
No removal is necessary. Look straight down beneath the plate where the hood bumper sits over the engine bay, behind the wheel well on the passenger side. Right below the windshield. All kinds of nice, flat areas where the wi-fi unit can be mounted.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:47 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Figured out how to bypass the security screen, so now the phone boots directly to the WIFIAV app. Total time to boot up and start the app is about 30 seconds.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 AM
red 1
Racer

Figured out how to bypass the security screen, so now the phone boots directly to the WIFIAV app. Total time to boot up and start the app is about 30 seconds.

I think the following link will allow the same thing on my old Iphone 4 IOS, I'm going to try this when I get back home in a few days, having to spend a couple of weeks in Japan for work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612
Old 07-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mister Big
I'm throwing in the towel on my Curb Alert. It's already been knocked out of alignment twice by dips in the road. I ordered the NavTool and I'm having a local shop install it.
Let us know how that works out and how much it cost?

Like the name of the this thread said "Cheap Front Camera" This whole system we have been setting up cost less than $100 and it works pretty good. We have been continually modifying it to be better.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red 1
I think the following link will allow the same thing on my old Iphone 4 IOS, I'm going to try this when I get back home in a few days, having to spend a couple of weeks in Japan for work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202612
Red...
I'll check out using the iPhone today and let you guys know if it works.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ok I screwed up and

ordered the wrong tap Am now waiting for the MICRO tap.
I'm looking at the photo

and it looks like you removed fuses 27 and 28 , plugged in the tap and then placed the 2 removed fuses into the tap.

Am I seeing this correct or on the verge of shorting out the whole electrical system on the C7

Last edited by fredl11; 07-06-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Still cannot type and spell
Old 07-06-2016, 04:29 PM
red 1
Racer

Originally Posted by fredl11
ordered the wrong tap Am now waiting for the MICRO tap.
I'm looking at the photo

and it looks like you removed fuses 27 and 28 , plugged in the tap and then placed the 2 removed fuses into the tap.

Am I seeing this correct or on the verge of shorting out the whole electrical system on the C7
You don't remove fuse 27, remove fuse 28 and add another fuse to the microtap for the camera power source.

Quick Reply: Cheap front camera